solicitors charges

Gordanus

am looking for a solicitor at the moment, but keep getting receptionists who have no idea what kind of charge the solicitor will levy. And I don't want to engage a solicitor without knowing what their hourly rate is likely to be, how much they charge for a letter or for a phone call etc. Could they not display their rates like restaurants and pubs or at least have their staff give an answer, especially as they don't seem to phone me back?! Maybe asking about their rates straight off puts them off dealing with me?

No solicitor will give you a quote unless they know what you want done. Legal work is not charged by the word, written or spoken, but on the basis of time and the complexity of the task in hand. Some predictable tasks like conveyancing can be done on a fixed price basis and it usually only on these tasks that a quotation will be given over the phone. Under the solicitors act a solicitor must give you a written estimate of charges before undertaking any work on your behalf. I suggest that you select a number of solicitors recommended to you, give the receptionist a brief outline of the work you need done so that she can tell you if the firm does that kind of work. Then you can set up a short appointment with the solicitor to discuss your particular situation after which they will be in a position to issue you with a written estimate.

but why can't they post their rate per hour? anyone asks me what I charge, I tell them the hourly rate and can estimate time (to some degree). How else do I know I'm getting a 550ph guy or a 45ph guy, to know whether to take the discussion further.

Gordanus,

Most solicitors are incredibly slow to turn away work, so I am surprised that you have not managed to get speaking to a single solicitor.

Most solicitors will not charge for an initial consultation. The best way to get a solicitor is to hire one through personal recommendation. Set up a meeting with a solicitor who comes recommended, and after an initial discussion about your situation, it should be possible for the solicitor to say whether he\she will deal with it and what it is likely to charge.

Unless it is a very standard matter, I don't think you will get a quote over the phone. I think you are going to have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince.......

Dear Gordanus,
Previous poster is right. You must kiss the frogs! I am not so sure about finding the prince though. Since you are on this property investment site, I presume you are talking about conveyancing or preparing a lease. In UK and elsewhere, solicitors do not have a monopoly on such matters and therefore they cost a fraction of what they cost here and with a fraction of the hassle (stalling receptionists etc) and less "mistakes". In Ireland kissing frogs is an nasty and expensive requirement when dealing in property.

Dear Gordanus,

I sympathize with your plight in trying to obtain an indicative quote before engaging the services of the legal profession. I also understand any reluctance you might have in going through the hassle of a meeting first to get a handle on the likely fee. I think you are absolutely right in your assumptions on why some solictors have not rang you back. My experience has been they can shy away when they think the client might be any way fee sensitive. As said above kissing frogs is indeed a nesessity if you want to avoid croaking it when the fee note arrives.

I had no difficulty getting quotes from 3-4 solicitors by email for the fairly simple matter of preparing 2 wills.

Back