Solicitor recommendation for house purchase

Charlie123

Hi, I am in the process of purchasing a new house (new build, ready for immediate occupation), first time buyer, HTB scheme approved, mortgage in principle approved - just need to give the estate agent a solicitor's name. Can anyone recommend me a solicitor to carry out the legal work - low cost and quick turnaround service of most importance. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am in the process of purchasing a new house (new build, ready for immediate occupation), first time buyer, HTB scheme approved, mortgage in principle approved - just need to give the estate agent a solicitor's name. Can anyone recommend me a solicitor to carry out the legal work - low cost and quick turnaround service of most importance. Thanks in advance.

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

The dirt cheap conveyancy work usually isn't carried out by a qualified solicitor. You are paying hundreds of thousands for a property. You want your conveyancy done properly. Don't skimp. The difference between a really cheap one and a fairly priced one isn't that much anyway.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

The dirt cheap conveyancy work usually isn't carried out by a qualified solicitor. You are paying hundreds of thousands for a property. You want your conveyancy done properly. Don't skimp. The difference between a really cheap one and a fairly priced one isn't that much anyway.

Steven

I get what you're saying, but the opposite is also true, that by paying more doesn't necessarily mean you are guaranteed a better service. Solicitors are professionals anyway I would have thought, so would naturally want to provide the best service they can in the interests of their client, profession and long term career.

I get what you're saying, but the opposite is also true, that by paying more doesn't necessarily mean you are guaranteed a better service. Solicitors are professionals anyway I would have thought, so would naturally want to provide the best service they can in the interests of their client, profession and long term career.
The moral about quick, cheap and good comes to mind.

You can usually get 1 or perhaps 2 out of the 3, but it'll be some achievement or just plain good luck if you can get 3 out of 3.

I would have suggested my solicitor.. and why not, I have used them before and trusted them for previous conveyancing work.

This purchase has been one of the smoothest so far, no bank sale, no hic-ups, infact the least amount of correspondence we have had in any purchase, and the fastest turn around as well.

My bill this time was quite a bit higher than previous times, so being a little peeved, I asked for a pal of mine who has no connection to them, to have an estimated bill sent to him for exactly the same purchase requirements.

This estimated bill, and I do say estimated as I know there can be unforeseen issues needing attention, but, this bill was best part of €400 less than mine.

Waiting on a return phone call to address this matter..

So, in short, you really should do your own home work, and dot the eyes and cross the Tees, as I would have been happy to you recommend before.

This purchase has been one of the smoothest so far, no bank sale, no hic-ups, infact the least amount of correspondence we have had in any purchase, and the fastest turn around as well.

They'll know better next time.

In the meantime, they'll of course tell you that they have no mandate to discuss with you the affairs of any other customer or prospective customer.

Last edited:
You've just given me an idea T,

Im sure its not politically correct, but Im going to contact the office assuming a different name, ie Joe Bloggs, and have an estimated bill sent to a fictitious email, They can then talk to Joe..

Should be an interesting phone call if as I expect its lower than mine..

Less likely though. Look at anything. Those with less experience are paid less than those with lots of experience. Why?

It never ceases to amaze me that people making a lifetime financial commitment for hundreds of thousands of euro quibble over a few hundred quid to ensure that they aren't buying something that has some history that may prevent them from selling it or other issues in the future.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

You've just given me an idea T,

Im sure its not politically correct, but Im going to contact the office assuming a different name, ie Joe Bloggs, and have an estimated bill sent to a fictitious email, They can then talk to Joe..

Should be an interesting phone call if as I expect its lower than mine..

You've already gotten a friend to phone up and now you are going to create a bogus character to get another quote. Is the additional €400 an "awkward client surcharge"? ;)

Ah now Mr Barrett,

A fool and his money are soon parted.

The fool would be not to question perceived inaccuracies with your billing.
I just like to get all my ducks inline first.

Ah now Mr Barrett,

A fool and his money are soon parted.

The fool would be not to question perceived inaccuracies with your billing.
I just like to get all my ducks inline first.
Again, no professional service provider - unless they are a total idiot, ignorant of even basic confidentiality requirements - will discuss with you another client's or prospective client's affairs, least of all how or why their work was priced in a certain manner.

What you're proposing isn't getting your ducks in line, it's essentially committing a fraud in the hope of gaining a negotiation advantage.

I'd drop like a hot stone any customer who tried that stunt on me. Professional representation is a two-way street and without trust there is nothing.

Last edited:
You make it sound like Im chancing my arm with a bill.

Try reading what I posted.
For no reason explained to me, my bill is €400 more expensive than previous bills.

It staggers me that you would be upset for your invoices to be questioned for an explanation.

Who the heck do you think you are.. that you are above having to explain your reasoning for an increase in your usual pattern..

I will have my ducks in line, and be prepared to show my hand there and then if needed, not a few days later, when trying to justify my concerns.

"For no reason explained to me, my bill is €400 more expensive than previous bills."

But you've asked for an explanation? What was the explanation? And did you get a Section 68 Notice of likely fees and outlays in advance of the transaction?

It may be that your pal was getting offered an "introductory" offer as a new client. Or that there was no Land Registry Compliant Map. Or Pre-Contract MUD enquiries. Or any number of other issues which would affect the bottom line on the final invoice.

What you've done then is entered into an elaborate, unnecessary pantomime to try and trap your solicitor.

For €400?

Think of the time wasting you're causing now.

mf

For no reason explained to me, my bill is €400 more expensive than previous bills.

When was your last bill issued? The cost of professional services has risen in line with a number of other things property related in the last few years from my experience.

I absolutely agree with getting value for money in everything but what you are doing is taking it to a stupid level and wasting everyone's time.

Think of the time wasting you're causing now.

I can afford to waste my time if i get a satisfactory answer to why my bill has increased by €400 without any explanation what so-ever.

Only a fool, as I say would pay up without questioning the reason.

Back