Solicitor insists on letter of "No Audit" to release funds

Hi silver turner, I'm curious to find out if you ever received your "no audit letter"
I find myself in a very similar situation, my siblings in Ireland received their money in January from the sale of our mothers home after it went through probate and all CGT where paid. Because I'm a non resident both my solicitor and my accountant have requested a no audit letter for me, I still haven't received it to date may 22nd.
I've call revenue commissioners myself and have been advised they not issue "no audit letters" and that my solicitor should request a form 4810.

Hopefully you've had better luck than me.
Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave, thank you, and sorry to hear you have a similar problem.
Its a few months ago so I had to just remind myself how it all got sorted out.

It seems not many tax officers are familiar with this.

If my memory serves me correctly it all fell into place when The Solicitor involved actually pressed the Tax Office for the required letter.
I think I would have still be waiting if it had not been for my accountant knowing the local tax office quite well and was on first name terms with the tax inspector who was responsible.

If I were you I would try and talk to all three parties .. The Solicitor, your accountant and someone in the tax office.

I hope you get it sorted Dave, and soon.

I did did the whole process to extremely frustrating.
I don't know who was really at fault here but in my opinion the solicitor should have been more proactive in dealing with the tax authorities rather than just hanging about.

Hi Silver Turner, I am another victim of Irish red tape, can you tell me who provided you with a letter of audit, was it the revenue? Our solicitor has said we need to appoint an accountant just to get the letter of audit. It’s a nightmare

Hi Brady, I needed an accountant anyway.
You'll probably need one to do the tax returns to show how much Capital gains Tax etc are due.
I was lucky enough to have one in Athlone who knew the lady in the revenue office.
It was really down to the solicitor in the end to ask the revenue for a letter to satisfy him.

The problem is that most revenue people have not come across it and most solicitors don't see it often enough to know what to do about it.

Good luck

I know I'm coming in a fair few months late here, but, I'm currently in the same situation where I'm waiting for a letter of No Audit from the Revenue Commissioners after selling a house in Ireland. Everything has been submitted and my solicitor has requested the letter from them. Just wondering how long it took for yourself to get sorted out?

Do banks not use checksum algorithms (as eg Revenue do) to prevent simple typos causing such havoc?

Not as many as you would think. They can verify account numbers and sort codes to destinations within their own bank, but if the payment is to another bank, the account number could be garbage, and they won't be able to verify that it isn't. They can check the validity of the sort code though. If an invalid sort code is sent out, the money is usually returned to the source account within a few days.

I sold a property in Ireland in September last year,
the auctioneers have been paid
the solicitor has taken his cut
the Capital Gains Tax has been paid
I've had my accounts submitted and I'm all up to date for 2017.

But the solicitor I'm using is not prepared to release the funds to me until
he receives a letter of "No Audit" for CGT purposes as I am a non resident, living in England.

Is this normal?
If it is where can I find any information on this "Letter of No Audit" and who provides it?
Hello, I'm in the same situation right now, Waiting for the letter of no audit from revenue, I was talking to 4 people from revenue and nobody knows anything about it! crazy..any idea what to do?

Are you non resident?
Have you filed a CGT return?
Who requested the letter from Revenue? Your solicitor or your accountant?
yes, I'm a nonresident now...and my solicitor filled our CGT form but now they ask for CGT computation. My solicitor requested the letter from the revenue.

I think they mean a Tax Clearance certificate, No?

11. Non-resident vendors​

Solicitors are advised that the above clearances are separate to the procedures that apply when acting for non-resident vendors. A procedure has been agreed between the Law Society and the Revenue where, after a disposal has been notified to Revenue by a solicitor and he/she obtains a letter of ‘no audit’, then the Revenue will not subsequently pursue the solicitor for any unpaid taxes of the vendor. This procedure should still be followed, whether or not a CGT clearance certificate is required.

Back