Social partnership to blame for woes..thoughts?

Like most other aspects of his "governing" Bertie just made it up as he went along with no foresight nor consideration of consequences.

The man was, and is, a disgrace.

Purple , I agree , Governments are elected to govern and as such the Government initiated social partnership in 1987 & chose to involve the parties detailed in a previous post.

A purely democratic , government initiated process I would have thought .

These are the groups that sat in on agreement talks.

So, if you're in paid empoyment and not in a union, who is representing you ?

In a 'purely democratic' approach, the Government would make and implement decisions in the national interest and the special pleadings of lobby groups would be a background hum.

One of the virtues of social partnership, claimed by other posters, is that it bought industrial peace. IMHO, industrial peace is a norm and is a tradeable commodity.

In a 'purely democratic' approach, the Government would make and implement decisions in the national interest and the special pleadings of lobby groups would be a background hum.

I agree. It's just sometimes when social partnership is mentioned, it is just discussed in the context of the public sector unions. I'm just making the point that many groups had their feet under the table.

Wouldn't it be nice if Minister Lenihan actually published the amazing report that came to these conclusions?

Purple , I agree , Governments are elected to govern and as such the Government initiated social partnership in 1987 & chose to involve the parties detailed in a previous post.

A purely democratic , government initiated process I would have thought .
There’s a list a mile long of governments around the world that were democratically elected and them chose to behave in an undemocratic fashion. Do you think that the fact that a government is democratically elected then justifies undemocratic behaviour?
Our founding fathers made the stupid mistake of failing to separate the legislature from the executive. This was compounded by our single transferrable vote system so the executive is continuously hamstrung by the likes of Jackie Healey-Ray so even when the government respects the structures that we do have our government is always going to be disproportionately influenced by sectoral interests. With social partnership and a government that doesn’t allow real debate in the Dail our democracy is nothing but a sham.

After the electorate has democratically decided on the formation of a Government then they are mandated to govern as they decide best - hence the advent of social partnership in 1987.

You may not agree that it was the best way to proceed but really that doesn't matter - the electorate had mandated the Government to proceed as they saw fit.

The only people who should have a say in how the country is run are the Td's elected by the people. The Dail and most of the government have had no real power for the last 10 years as the country was run/carved up by the social partners, dominated by IBEC and SIPTU, and the Department of the Taoiseach. Basically That meant Bertie sitting back and letting unelected vested interest groups look after their own interests at the expense of the people who elected his government to govern. Brian Cowan has been a disaster as leader but the damage was done by Bertie.

Perish the thought Jackie Healy Rae deciding on who gets paid for what.

Given that wealth of experience Mr. Geraghty sounds like an ideal appointment to me .

The appointment of Mike Soden however leaves me somewhat puzzled , perhaps his first hand knowledge of Internet policy will prove useful.

I agree, running a complete sh*t show like FAS will have given him plenty of experience for maintaining the status quo at the CB.

I agree, running a complete sh*t show like FAS will have given him plenty of experience for maintaining the status quo at the CB.

Mr. Geraghty was certainly a trade union rep and a director but to say that he ran FAS is an overstatement.

After the electorate has democratically decided on the formation of a Government then they are mandated to govern as they decide best - hence the advent of social partnership in 1987.

You may not agree that it was the best way to proceed but really that doesn't matter - the electorate had mandated the Government to proceed as they saw fit.

I take it then that you have no problem with the current government putting in place their 4 year plan as they have a mandate from the people to do as they see fit.

I take it then that you have no problem with the current government putting in place their 4 year plan as they have a mandate from the people to do as they see fit.

None whatsoever , to quote that oft , overused , pragmatic phrase - we are where we are.

I do not agree with their approach to resolving the fiscal situation but I do agree that as the current mandated Government that they are entitled to proceed as they see fit.

Hopefully the next Government will approach our fiscal crisis differently , I am encouraged for example by the fact that FG & Labour have both stated that they will revert the minimum wage cut.

Very good point Purple, Lets see how they wriggle out of that one.

Deise is well able for anything that I throw at him (that and a good sense of humour are the reasons I enjoy discussing things with him) so I didn’t expect a knock-out blow with that last post.
I’m on Complainers ignore list because, well, who knows, so as he doesn’t see my posts I don’t expect a reply from him.

Deise is well able for anything that I throw at him (that and a good sense of humour are the reasons I enjoy discussing things with him) so I didn’t expect a knock-out blow with that last post.
I’m on Complainers ignore list because, well, who knows, so as he doesn’t see my posts I don’t expect a reply from him.

There's an " ignore " option !

God , nobody tells me anything :D

I also enjoy our exchanges and you have certainly raised a smile from time to time on my grim unionised countenance.

Back