Sligo: Eating, Drinking, Being Merry

coolaboola

Am heading for a few days break to Sligo in early May and would love some suggestions on where to eat and what to do when there.

Its a long time since I have been to Sligo but Bistro Biannconi is stuck in my mind as a great Italian.

Bistro is good italian as per previous post. probably best resturant in town is Coach Lane followed closely by Fiddlers Creek. Good pubs, Fiddlers (as in bar part of resturant) being a personal fav. Shoot the crows and Hardigans are lovely little old pubs. Outside of the night life, you should check out strandhill (the strand bar there always has a good buzz...especially when the surfers are out, and as it will be May, there should be) Rosses Point is another lovely beach. Drive around the lake for lovely scenery and nice wood walks along the way. Hazelwood is a particularly good spot. Head up to Mullachmore (sp?) up the Bundoran road! So much to see, it being a coast town i seem to have concentrated a lot on the coast in case you didn't notice!! For a bit of history check out Lisadell House once owned by the Gore Booths (of Countess Markievicz fame) or check out WB Yeat's Grave in Drumcliff! Any particual interests????

Great suggestions! As for any particular interests: good grub, walking, scenery so all your suggestions fit the bill. Thanks.

Waterfront in Rosses Point is another great place to eat. Its a village that has great walks / scenery / pubs etc too.

if you head out west sligo, Enniscrone is a nice seaside village and has an indoor water park. Easky is also 1 of the top surf spots in europe and has a resident surfer population living there.
For food try the Beach Bar, about 4 miles off the main sligo-ballina road in Templeboy before you reach Dromore West. It's a few hundred years old thatched pub with great views of Sligo Bay, Benbulben and Knocknarea.

Most tourists go to north sligo and tend to ignore the west part- much to my disappointment as it's my neck of the woods and I have to say I think it's really beautiful out there!!!!

No trip to Sligo complete without a visit to the seaweed baths in Strandhill (some also in Enniscrone but haven't been there) and for some spirituality try the Holy Well in AughaMor

The seaweed baths are on the list! (Was looking at the Strandhill ones simple 'cos they're nearer to where we're staying - I think)

Delboy - where from? As a fellow west Sligo native, it always gnaws at me how it is forgotten about. Hard to beat the beach in Enniscrone (really Castleconnor, guess where I am from!).
Did the Knocknarea walk in november and it is some view when climbed. An easy climb (about 45 min up). Lough Gill is great for the views. The tombs of Carrowkeel in east Sligo are great if into your history. Surfing in Easkey is right up there with the best of them. Golf courses along the coast are brillant.
Love it so much, have started building the house to get out of the traffic jam that is Dublin.

btw - Stayed in the new Clarion hotel in november in their apartment suites and definitely the best I have ever stayed in. Very reasonable during the week.

guzzler said:
Delboy - where from? As a fellow west Sligo native, it always gnaws at me how it is forgotten about. Hard to beat the beach in Enniscrone (really Castleconnor, guess where I am from!).
I'm a templeboy-onian!!!!! But lived in the big smoke for past few years. Was down west at the w/e and have to say I've never seen more tourists around for an easter like that before. All local accomm/holiday houses etc full up....mostly irish.
But yeah, west sligo is ignored when it comes to promotion by the tourist authorities. It's all Yeats this, Rosses Point that......but on the other hand, bar a few B&B's, there's no hotels/accomm between sligo and ballina unless you go off the main road to enniscrone....so a lot of tourists just drive through west sligo on their way to somewhere else.

Nice tips for West Sligo, will try next time!

Guzzler - how much did you pay in the Clarion?

Mr.s Guzzler would know the price but I think it was around 90eur.

Valid point re west Sligo Delboy but with 1 -2 new hotels for Enniscrone (well actually Castleconnor) things might improve.

I have to go to sligo for a week working. Does anyone know anywhere to stay thats cheap,cheerful and nice? Also same applies for Cavan? Anyone know a good place to stay? I will stay anywhere as long as it has my listed requisites!!! Thanks

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm heading to Sligo for a few days R and R at Clarion Hotel. Anybody any up-to-date info. re restaurants, Clarion Hotel, etc.?

Coach lane restaurant is lovely and worth the price. Fiddlers pub has great food - don't bother eating in restaurant, stay in the bar area. Bistro is soooo overpriced, but nice if its on expenses! Clarion bar does food too, noodles etc, not the norm pub food, but is good.

I really enjoy Montmartre in the Market Yard. It is a French run bistro, not the cheapest in Sligo but very, very good.

Back