sky broadband now available for €10 per month

Someone over on boards.ie asked the Sky rep if signing up to their broadband/phone service (which has a 12 month min contract) meant they had also signed to a new 12 month contract for their tv service - they were advised that it did not.

The broadband from Sky works on your current phone line so wont be any faster than it is at the moment but will be cheaper.

Great, thanks for the replies.. I'll wait another few months before ringing them. Its serious competition into the market.
i would ring them as soon as your can cos some are saying that the offer is over after 10 o clock to night.

say you had a missed call of them
heres the number 0818719895

Rang and was told you have to be an existing Sky customer to avail of the offer!

Must ring but first how do I know what speed my existing broadband is? I know this is probably a very obvious question but I know nothing about it, can work the computer but that's it. Have been with the same crowd for years, was Perlico now Vodafone I think, anywhere obvious I would see this info?

Must ring but first how do I know what speed my existing broadband is? I know this is probably a very obvious question but I know nothing about it, can work the computer but that's it. Have been with the same crowd for years, was Perlico now Vodafone I think, anywhere obvious I would see this info?
try here

http://www.speedtest.net/

or

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

none of them are great but it will give u a rough idea.

u will need your uan number from vodafone(u will find it on the vodafone bill)
sky account number,landline number.
are you out of contract with vodafone??

Last edited:
i would ring them as soon as your can cos some are saying that the offer is over after 10 o clock to night.
Now this is beginning to make a hell of a lot more sense. They were just using this as a promotional tool to get the word out. Otherwise, they simply can't undercut everyone else as they have to pay the same rates as all of the other dsl broadband resellers to eircom wholesale. In rare instances, they may have access to bt equipment in certain exchanges which may allow them to realise greater savings - but these are exceptional - and not the norm.

wbbs said:
Must ring but first how do I know what speed my existing broadband is?
What naughto said. Alternatively, if you go to the config page of your router, it should show what the line is capable of - in terms of max. upload and max. download.

In rare instances, they may have access to bt equipment in certain exchanges which may allow them to realise greater savings - but these are exceptional - and not the norm.

Vodafone bought out BT's business in Ireland, presume exchange equipment was part of that deal.

Vodafone bought out BT's business in Ireland, presume exchange equipment was part of that deal.
Well, there is some link up of some kind with BT - as they ip addresses used by skys bb customers belong to BT Ireland.

I was with Eircom for several months and my son checked the broadband speeds. They were way lower than what was prmised in the package I was on. A technnician came out and he advised I should never have been on that package as the lines in the area were not capable of delivering those speeds. I got 10 months refund and moved to UPC.

If the lines aren't able to deliver those speeds will Sky broadband be the same as Eircom?

Back