Size Zero, 6 hours shopping with my daughter for something to wear to an interview

lyonsie

I have just come home after 6 hours shopping with my daughter for something for her to wear to an interview, Size Zero....
Please, anyone out there, help me.
We shopped in Cork city. Tried everywhere. I would like her to find something that fits (seems impossible), but does not make her look like a bean pole.
She is 5'7" if not 5'8" and looking for a size 4 to 6 which equates to the American Size Zero. We would have been better looking for size 22...
Anyone know where we might get clothes that size without them looking 'tatty'. Some of the 'highstreet' shops are a 'bit' on the tatty side. We tried BT but alas nothing there either. One girl got all exited about some she had coming in but they are needed now.
So, once again, anyone know of anyone who shops for this size or who knows a shop that stocks it, please, please.

:confused::):(

Re: Size Zero, please help.

I'm guessing when you say something for an interview you are looking for a suit? As size 0 is an American size you may be better off sticking with looking for European sizes. Topshop definitely stock size 6 but I don't know if they have suits and Zara would definitely be worth looking at for work wear as would any of the Spanish chains like Mango etc. Hopefully the sales aren't still on.

Is there an equivalent of Arnotts in Cork?

We did Mango, their new stock was still in boxes!!!! Top shop was a bit 'tatty' in Debenhams. Most of the European size 6 need to be slightly altered, and she looks so thin in the 'trendy' trousers. Idealy she needs a size 4 which you can get in jeans, but trousers are a different story.
Something well cut which could be altered would be preferable to something skinny and fitting (hope you can understand me).
Her daughter who is 7 months is fitting into 12 month clothes, wish her mother was doing likewise.
I was very slim myself, but never that thin. I couldn't believe how hard it is.
What is available in Arnotts.... her interview is in Dublin next week, so we could go up a day or two earlier.
I see Hugo Boss do 'Zero' and they are in Dundrum. Any other ideas....

Did you try Zara? They do a lot of work wear including tailored trousers which can be taken in if necessary although they do smaller sizes as well. May have more of a problem getting a jacket (depending on the cut) altered though.

What about Karen Millen? The clothes can be small fitting?

hi there,
i know next do size 6 in suits & they are quite good quality. I have a couple of suits from there but don't know how good they would fit in the length as i am small so that's not a problem, but I would look there if you haven't already

Coast may be somewhere else to try as they do smaller sizes and delicious clothes!

hi there,
i know next do size 6 in suits & they are quite good quality. I have a couple of suits from there but don't know how good they would fit in the length as i am small so that's not a problem, but I would look there if you haven't already

Also Next would order in for you if they didn't have the right sizes in stock.

Yes, we tried Karen Millen. Her size 6 was a little big but the cut was good. Unfortunately, they only had a silver/grey and a gold/beige in trousers and not exactly what was wanted.
Is there a bigger Karen Millen shop elsewhere, we were in BT where there is a small section.
Did not get to Zara or Next, but I know the size 6 in Next is rather baggy in the 'ass', for a size 4 that is.
Will give them a go though. Any more on the Arnotts mention....

Arnotts is pretty much like Debenhams really but have some different labels.

What about Principles?

Do Principles do small sizes.... Will go shopping one more day with her, but with a list of shops that actually do the small sizes... Now I hope my fingers are doing all the walking and you out there in aam land are giving me a helping hand. Thanks.
Would we be better doing Dundrum or is there anywhere else with all these outlets under one roof. Might go to Mahon Point in Cork at the weekend first as there is Zara, Next, Principles (I think) and maybe Top Shop at Debenhams.

Still open to other ideas though. I really feel sorry for her. Don't anyone wish for this size, she doesn't.... it is really hard to get nice, smart well cut clothes.
Any ideas on putting up a few lbs...

While it depends on the style and cut of the clothes, if travelling a distance it mgiht be worth giving them a call first to save yourself a wasted journey.

Maybe asking some sales assistants in shops might help too as they would probably have good knowledge of places you can try.

I really appreciate all your help. After the first few shops we just went straight to the assistants for their help, so thanks for the tip. There is just so much new stock coming in that if we knew where there might be size 6 we would be on it.... as the yanks say....
So keep the ideas coming in...

As Penneys sizes are small you may well find that a size 8 there would equate to an actual size 6. If you are selective in your choice some of Penneys suits can be quite nice. Would also have to say "Oh to have her problem" :)

Have a look at the UK Next website - http://www.next.co.uk/- you can order any of the items from there here, but you'll have to collect in store. They have the winter collections on there now, but not on the Irish version yet (although due to launch today). They do size 6.

Zara definitely do UK size 4 (which is US size 0) and they are great for long length trousers. (I'm 36"-38" inside leg myself but thankfully am size 10 which makes things a bit easier). Isn't size 4 very skinny for someone that height?

Thanks Mel for your pm and your suggestion re. Next.
Just looked at their site. Unfortunately their size 6 only comes in a 29" leg trousers. Petits are supposed to be small, not necessarly thin too.

Will try them and Zara, and anyone else that might be suggested.

It may not be quite what you want but has your daughter considered wearing a skirt rather than a trouser suit? It may be easier to find a well-fitted skirt and if needs be it would be more readily altered.

Oh and there is a Karen Millen section in Clery's also in case you want to check that out, and if you are on for going further afield there is a standalone Karen Millen shop (rather than department) in Belfast right in front of City Hall.

Last edited:
I'm petite and small but can get size 6 clothes in

Next
Principles
Miss Selfridge
Top shop
Zara
Mango

Most of my suits come from Next, or else I've had them tailor made on holiday in Asia (almost worth the price of the trip for the fantastic tailor made clothes, not very helpful for you now but one to bear in mind).

In Next if she's looking for trousers, try a load of different styles of trousers in size 6. Some styles are baggy on me, some are perfect and some are tight. Also you need one of the bigger Next outlets if you're expecting them to have a size 6 in stock.

Back