sink in island or not

joshea

What do people think about having the main sink in the island

I have the space to do either????

:confused:

definitely, we have one in the island and it is in constant use, handy for a big dinner where the main sink tends to fill up with pots/pans as you cook

definitely, we have one in the island and it is in constant use, handy for a big dinner where the main sink tends to fill up with pots/pans as you cook

the Op is asking about having the main sink in the island.i think you have two sinks? ;)

joshea, i have an island (no sink) and i don't think i could manage with the main sink there. My own sink has a large double drainer and is under a window. i wouldn't have room for all the bits and pieces (washing up liquid, cloths, brushes etc ) on the island.

Certainly if you can have a second sink in the centre i'd go for it, but not the main one.

sorry, i presumed he was still going to have two sinks, with the main in the island. i still say two is the way to go, but i guess having hte biggerin the island is less appealing alright

I wouldn't have the main sink in the island, but you could always put in a small circular sink with say a drinking water fountain tap there - would look cool..

Where do you do most of your food prep? If you use the island for that, a small sink would definitely be useful.

I 2nd having a smaller sink in island, handy and doesnt take up as much space.
Definitely recommend putting power in the island either on the side or one of the those pop up power units... we didnt and seriously regret it... ie using laptop etc

I've an island - no sink in it though, and would quite fancy one. I find I just ending up dumping stuff on the island anyway - handbag, phone, post etc... so a sink could prevent that maybe!

I don't think you need a sink Happydays, I think you need a hall table :D

definitely not - we have a reasonably large island and no way would we want a sink in it - keep all the mess etc away from that area - you'll end up using it for breakfasts/snacking at, bar stools, having drinks etc.

a sink would just mess up the usability i think.

If I were you, if you have a window wall, I'd put the sink under the window. I don't have a window wall so put the sink in the island and it works fine.

I find myself constantly surprised with the amount of time I spend at the sink seeing as I'm a bloke. Would be nice to be able to look out at the garden (where I'd much rather be) at the same time.

definitely not - we have a reasonably large island and no way would we want a sink in it - keep all the mess etc away from that area - you'll end up using it for breakfasts/snacking at, bar stools, having drinks etc.

a sink would just mess up the usability i think.

Er, no.

If I were you, if you have a window wall, I'd put the sink under the window. I don't have a window wall so put the sink in the island and it works fine.

I find myself constantly surprised with the amount of time I spend at the sink seeing as I'm a bloke. Would be nice to be able to look out at the garden (where I'd much rather be) at the same time.

Oh God no.

I have the sink in the island, and it's got power and seating to it too - greatest thing sinced sliced bread. Island also houses a drawer-dishwasher. When you think of it, and you spend so much time at the sink, or prep, why would you want to keep your back to the people in the room.

I find it highly sociable - and it's great at parties as a serving island.....

OP, as they say in the Nike ad; Do It ! :D

Have a look here: [broken link removed]

Personally I prefer having a hob on an island rather than a sink, that's what we did and have no regrets. Only downside is the cost of the extractor fans for island hobs, a good bit more expensive.

IMO it depends on the size of your island. We have our sink in the island and it works brilliantly for us. If I'm washing up in the sink - I don't have my back to people. But our island is about 4ft x 8ft so we have plenty of space around it. Be sure to get a good, deep sink.

To sink or not to sink?,I agree with nai abit with how the area may inadvertenly become a bit untidy and a place to put things.Allthough it could work very well if you had oodles of room

Nice kitchen by the way galwaytt!Love the burgundy colour

Galwatt, where did you get your glass wall tiles? (apologies for thread drift!)

No prob. That was a huge saga in itself. We wanted, and ordered a one-piece glass splashback. Huge lead time, big €€, and then it got broken. Twice. Before it got here. So they, officially, gave up. Damned if I was putting tiles on it though. Mrs Galwaytt found those, and they were, iirc,€90/m3 ? in one tile shop. I still baulked, though, and then, one day, we saw them in.........Tubs and Tiles for €35/m3. Yep, you read that right. So it worked out o.k. in the end, but they were a nightmare to fit - cutting them was horrendous, and we scrapped a lot of them.....looks good, now, though (see pic)

To sink or not to sink?,I agree with nai abit with how the area may inadvertenly become a bit untidy and a place to put things.Allthough it could work very well if you had oodles of room

Nice kitchen by the way galwaytt!Love the burgundy colour

[blush] tks, but it wasn't me........Mrs Galwaytt can take a bow for that. Agree about the room, though - an island just for the sake of it, say a small one with a sink in a small kitchen would be awful. I think :confused:

A small one, without a sink, can be great, though........'cos a prep area doesn't need to be big.

As for the 'untidy' thing, well, it's just a habit, really. I hate, hate, hate looking at........'stuff' on the counter, and even the toaster gets put away in one of the drawers, so most of the time, yes, it does look like it is in the pic..........mind you, I have a pantry - which is the greatest thing since slice bread.......(and cut out a lot of kitchen units in the process, too.......)

[edit] 23.10.09, 17:15hrs - corrected tile pricing and where we got them [/edit]

It is a good idea are you also going to have another sink elsewhere in the kitchen or just the one in the Island.

TBH, in a parallel universe where it was me and I had enough money - and space - I would have a large island with seating on one side and a hob (with aesthetically pleasing overhead extractor) on the other, as well as a one-and-a-half sized sink with no draining board (I hate draining boards). Oh and several power points (possibly in the sides rather than the worktop). And I'd also have a little niche on the "working" side so I could sit on a high stool myself without bruising my knees.

Then on the back wall, behind me when I'm standing at my amazing island unit, I'd have a solid wall of cabinets that would also incorporate my oven, microwave, freezer, etc. Except my fridge, which would be a freestanding art-deco-cerise Smeg (well, I did say it was a parallel universe) and my kettle and toaster, ideally art deco in style, would be kept on a stylish butcher-block trolley beside said fridge.

That way if I'm entertaining I can face my guests while I chop, cook and, er, drain stuff. (In this parallel universe I'm a fabulous cook). I'll be more than happy to turn my back on my guests while I load the dishwasher (cleverly incorporated into the wall of cabinets), especially if it's the butler's night off.

And of course, if times get tough, I can earn a few quid by presenting my own cookery programme from my amazing kitchen, and face the audience the whole time I'm chopping, cooking, draining and engaging in effortless witty banter.

Needless to say, in this parallel universe you're all invited to hypothetical lunch this Sunday.

Back