sink in island or not

Hi pickle
The initial plan was to put main sink near a window on another wall and a prep sink on the island but from a work triangle point of view we thought it might be best to have main sink on island and pull in the diswasher and all closer together

Hi pickle
The initial plan was to put main sink near a window on another wall and a prep sink on the island but from a work triangle point of view we thought it might be best to have main sink on island and pull in the diswasher and all closer together

The only thing I would bear in mind if you're going to do it this way is: are you a household who leaves your washing up to drain, or do you dry it immediately and put it away? (I know you'll have a dishwasher but there is always some non-dishwasher washing up). Because if you have stuff sitting and draining bear in mind that it will be sitting and draining in almost the middle of your kitchen, probably in the first place your eye will rest when you enter the room, rather than off to one side.

Obviously if you are a household where you dry up and put away immediately then this won't be an issue. But even then you will need to give consideration to what kind of draining board - if any - you put in. A stainless steel draining board will be very obvious, but a "grooves in the worktop" style will be much less obtrusive (but more expensive). A drying rack on a tray or a towel that can all be put away when not in use (so no drainign board at all) would be the cheapest option, but it will pay in the long run to realistically assess what our washing up habits actually rather than what you would like them to be once you have a nice new kitchen to practice them in.

The only thing I would bear in mind if you're going to do it this way is: are you a household who leaves your washing up to drain, or do you dry it immediately and put it away? (I know you'll have a dishwasher but there is always some non-dishwasher washing up). Because if you have stuff sitting and draining bear in mind that it will be sitting and draining in almost the middle of your kitchen, probably in the first place your eye will rest when you enter the room, rather than off to one side.

Obviously if you are a household where you dry up and put away immediately then this won't be an issue. But even then you will need to give consideration to what kind of draining board - if any - you put in. A stainless steel draining board will be very obvious, but a "grooves in the worktop" style will be much less obtrusive (but more expensive). A drying rack on a tray or a towel that can all be put away when not in use (so no drainign board at all) would be the cheapest option, but it will pay in the long run to realistically assess what our washing up habits actually rather than what you would like them to be once you have a nice new kitchen to practice them in.

We're putting in a new kitchen at the moment and the (only) sink will be in the island and my major concern was the dishes draining cos we SO are not the kind of household that dries and puts away immediately! We're going to do a split level island to hide the stuff on the draining board and have seating at the higher level on the other side of the sink.

we have our hob in the island and a counter(higher level) for eating at. i would not put my sink in the island as we dont always put our stuff away immediatley. i would nt put my sink by a window either if i was to build again, as it gets dirty quiet quickly (splashes etc). easier to give tile a wipe than a big window thats awkward to get at.

mother does not have her sink at the window so dunno why i did it (think its just the done thing in ireland)

we have a sink in the utility which is great for big pots and pans etc

I have my sink in my main countertop, facing a wall with overhead cabinets and it doesn't feel cramped or antisocial at all. I also have a peninsula unit (which is an island that's anchored at one end) and if I have company and am cooking I chop stuff at the peninsula unit and rinse/drain stuff at the sink behind me - my back is only turned for a minute, so it's not like I have my back turned to my guests a lot.

However my cooker is also in my main run of worktop, and I do find I have my back to my guests quite a lot when I'm cooking. If it was an option I think you'd be better off having your hob in the island unit (actually think this suggestion may have come up before - you may be bamboozled with options at this stage!)

Back