Laya Simplicity or Simply Connect

pumba

Hi all, our health insurance renewal is coming up on 1st April and not sure whether I should change to something else.
At present I am on simplicity and 3x kids are on flex 125 explore.
The renewal quote is
1231.97 (Simplicity)
+ 343.36 (Flex 125 explore x 3)
+ 47.26 (credit charge)
= total €1622.59 for the year.
I’m happy to keep the kids as is especially as number 4 is on the way in August . Just wondering should I change to simply connect? The only differences seem to be I’m losing cover for private room in private hospital and I’m capping outpatient claims at 500euro but with lower excess of 1euro before I can make outpatient claims. Would you reach the 500 euro outpatient cap very quickly?

@snowyb has always been really helpful in the past and is the reason I am on Simplicity which is a great plan. Any advice would be most welcome, I’d like to maintain my level of cover as much as possible but if I can reduce my premium and maintain cover even better.

Hi pumba,

Choosing between Simplicity and Simply Connect is the same decision I mull over every renewal date.
I was on Simplicity plan for the past 2 years and since my last renewal I switched to Simply Connect as it was reduced to 1100pa.

I see that Simply Connect will increase in price from 1st April 2019, to 1179pa.
The day to day cover is calculated as follows; 50% of 1000 expenses = 500.

I also see that Simplicity will be reduced to 1190pa from 1st April 2019.
The only reason for staying with Simplicity, is for the private room in a private hospital cover.
If this extra cover is not a priority for you, then it makes sense to switch to Simply Connect.

The child offer on Flex 125 Explore will be reduced to 319 from 1st April 2019, and still very good value.
The only alternative offer is Flex 125 Choice which will be part of the child special promotion where you pay for the 1st child and the rest
are free, from 1st April 2019. This plan includes good day to day cover with a 1 euro excess, if some of the children are age 6 or older when gp
visits are no longer free of charge.
It will be reduced from 571 to 505 from 1/4/2019.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Hope this helps.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks a million @snowyb , I wasn’t aware of the premium changes on April 1st it’s very helpful to know that. Just one more query my 75 yo mum is on Vhi healthplus premium (old plan B ) and i’ve Been onto her for years to change. She has sleep apnoea and hypertension otherwise well. Inpatient cover most important for her. Any suggestions? Thanks again

Does simplicity not offer higher day to day? As in you have to cover first bit yourself but there is no 500 limit? Might also be a consideration if you have very high amount of day to day (e.g. physiotherapy).

Hi @snowyb I just was on to laya and they weren't aware of any price change in Simplicity or Flex 125 Explore from 1st April, just wondering where you got the info. I had a quick look on HIA news which mentions 17 Laya price plan changes but does not mention Simplicity or Flex 125 explore. Sorry just hoping you got your info from another source I was not aware of and I can quote it back to Laya. Thanks

Back