Silver wrist chain bracelet for toddler.

justsally said:
before the parents decide, for one or more personal reasons not to have a child christened within a few weeks of birth!!!.
Or not at all!

ClubMan said:
I've also seen babies with pierced ears which is really dumb in my opinion
ClubMan said:
The "heel test" after they're born is enough torture for them to avoid piercing until later in life - if ever!
purplealien said:
There should be a law against it!
Carpenter said:
Anyone remember the episode of the Royle Family when Denise said she was going to have her (as yet unborn) baby's ears pierced for the christening "like those Spanish babies". Jim says: "Jez, why don't you get the baby's ar*e tatooed while you're at it!". We got gifts of bracelets etc for our first child, they were put on for the christening and then filed away, never to be seen again I suppose.

Well, well, well, I guess you are all against it because it's not a tradition in here. But as you have said, it's tradition in other places (Spain for example) It's not tacky for us.....and when I was born, I got my ears pierce in the hospital. Do I remember? Of course not, neither I remember the heel test. My sister (15 years my younger) got the heel test and ears pierced at home done by my neighbour, who is a nurse, and I remember her screaming a bit, but nothing unsual for a baby, she was 2 weeks old. My niece, who is 5 months, got her ears pierced when she was just 2 months....and it doesn't look tacky. Of course jewellery for babies can be dangerous, as many other things, but only if left unattended. I still have all the stuff I got when i was a kid, a couple of lockets, an indented bracelet with my name and my date of birth engrave, and I intent to keep them for life. They were presents made to me by people who loved me and are no longer in my life, and it's a way to remember them.
Jewellery in adults can be tacky as well, and it doesn't stop people from buying it, it's more a matter of taste.

What's the point of getting a baby's ears pierced?, does it save their lives?, does it help them grow?, does it make them sleep well?. No it doesn't so can someone please explain what benefits there are to a 2 month old baby to gets it's ears pierced. At least there is a reason for the heel test. Or could it be that it's done for the parent's benefit? - Myself I don't know too many babies who look in the mirror and ask themselves do these earings go with my babygro?

Maybe the baby would get over it in a few minutes - but surely the idea of being a parent is to protect your child from as much pain and harm as you can - even if it is just an ear piercing - it just seems really unnecessary to me

ney001 said:
What's the point of getting a baby's ears pierced?, does it save their lives?, does it help them grow?, does it make them sleep well?. No it doesn't so can someone please explain what benefits there are to a 2 month old baby to gets it's ears pierced.

I think Cati76 gave a very good explanation in her post. If its not your cup of tea dont do it, no one is forcing you.

ney001 said:
Myself I don't know too many babies who look in the mirror and ask themselves do these earings go with my babygro?

The same can also be said for the latest pushchairs, toys, and designer baby clothes that many irish parents buy.

Cati76 said:
The same can also be said for the latest pushchairs, toys, and designer baby clothes that many irish parents buy.

Exactly - this is done for the parents sake!. Everybody has different taste - some people like loads of jewellery some don't and that's fine - the point I'm making is that taste is one thing but causing pain (for however short a time) to an infant for the sake of fashion is not something I could see myself doing. Pushchairs/toys/clothes don't cause pain as far as I'm aware

As far as I know, ears piercing was done traditionaly to diferentiate between baby boys and baby girls, as it's pretty difficult to tell apart with babies.
As for the pain, again can't really remember if it was painful, I know my sister cried, I know my niece cried, but they won't remember about it later. I am not saying that because of it, it's right or wrong to do it, but I can't see much harm on it, while there is other attitudes than can be of much more harm (careless parenting, drinking and smoking around the kids, not educating kids properly, thinking it's not their task but the schools, etc etc, list can go for ever)
I know in here people will criticise me in the future if I ever have a baby girl for piercing her ears (which I will do if my partner agrees with me of course), but if I don't do it, she will feel exclude in SPain for not having then pierced. So it's really a personal choice, and I rahter have it done when she is a baby, by a profesional, than her doing in on a later stage on her life, but a cowboy in a piercing and tatoo booth.

Cati is right - in spain it is absolutely normal for baby girls to have their ears pierced - in fact I've never seen a baby without pierced ears.
So in Spain it doesnt have the 'tacky' connotations it has in Ireland.
If I show photos of my baby niece to friends in spain, first they think it is a boy and when I say its a girl,the first question they ask is where are her ear-rings!
The pain factor is an issue - no-one wants to cause their baby pain. But maybe its better to feel that pain at such a young age when you wont remember it?

As for all jewellery being tacky - I received as a christening present a lovely expandable silver bracelet engraved with my name, which I was allowed wear on Christmas day and my birthday, and was in no way tacky. I felt so special wearing it, and it fitted me till I was 10.

Cati76 said:
As far as I know, ears piercing was done traditionaly to diferentiate between baby boys and baby girls, as it's pretty difficult to tell apart with babies.
As for the pain, again can't really remember if it was painful, I know my sister cried, I know my niece cried, but they won't remember about it later. I am not saying that because of it, it's right or wrong to do it, but I can't see much harm on it, while there is other attitudes than can be of much more harm (careless parenting, drinking and smoking around the kids, not educating kids properly, thinking it's not their task but the schools, etc etc, list can go for ever)
I know in here people will criticise me in the future if I ever have a baby girl for piercing her ears (which I will do if my partner agrees with me of course), but if I don't do it, she will feel exclude in Spain for not having then pierced. So it's really a personal choice, and I rather have it done when she is a baby, by a profesional, than her doing in on a later stage on her life, by a cowboy in a piercing and tatoo booth.

Nobody forces you to get your baby ear pierced, it's a personal choice, and that's what we are used to, as you are used to it being seing as tacky. Pain is not that much, seriously. My sister got a second and a third one on one of her ears, and believe me, her pain threshold is not the best, so sure it's not that bad (again, if done by professionals)

There is a jewlery shop at the top of Grafton St, it would be on your left hand side if you were looking towards St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre (sorry i don't know the name) and they do braclets for babies/small children, and not just identity braclets, but also some nice ones with different patterns on them. I got one there about 6 months ago.

When I was christened, my mother used the money that I was given as presents to buy me an adult sized silver braclet, she kept it for me and gave it to me for my 21st birthday - I wear it very frequently now and get a lot of comments on what a nice idea it was.

casiopea said:
I think Cati76 gave a very good explanation in her post. If its not your cup of tea dont do it, no one is forcing you.
Unlike the baby whose parents decide that they want this unnecessary titivation for junior?

Anyway - it being dumb was simply my opinion as I clearly stated above. Nobody is forcing anybody else to take heed of my opinions.

Sorry but whether or not the baby remembers the pain is not important - the point is surely that you are causing pain to an infant for no reason other than vanity, or to save yourself having to explain whether the baby is a boy or a girl, surely it doesn't take that long to explain. Just put the boy in blue, put the girl in pink - job done! or I think Clubman would know where you could get a little ironing board for the girl!

ClubMan said:
Anyway - it being dumb was simply my opinion as I clearly stated above. Nobody is forcing anybody else to take heed of my opinions.

Clubman, Im not sure what your point is here? My response was to ney001 which I think is quite clear given that I quoted her and responded to those sections. I never passed any remark on any of your opinions nor said anything to the contrary (ie that they are not opinion).

ney001 said:
Sorry but whether or not the baby remembers the pain is not important - the point is surely that you are causing pain to an infant for no reason other than vanity, or to save yourself having to explain whether the baby is a boy or a girl, surely it doesn't take that long to explain. Just put the boy in blue, put the girl in pink - job done! or I think Clubman would know where you could get a little ironing board for the girl!

I'm with you all the way here. People will be having This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language antlers tattooed across their babies' backs next!

ney001 said:

There is a little thing called 'cultural relativity' to bear in mind. Personally I agree with you ney001, but, we can't judge other cultures based solely on the values, norms and mores of our own. Ireland does not have a long history/culture of piercing the female's ears (we do have a long history of letting the girl iron!). Other cultures do, such as Spain, for example. Still others, recommend male circumcision and a wealth of other (to me) distasteful things done in the name of culture.

We are not all tarred with the same brush.

My original post referred to a time when I worked in a jewellers and people would come in to get their infants ears pierced. While I can understand the point about cultural relativity I can assure you that I never once in three years had anybody of Spanish extraction asking about ear piercing on babies so while it's a tradition in Spain and perhaps a tradition that once had a purpose I don't see why it's done in Ireland to Irish children. And I don't for one second believe that it's done to distinguish boy from girl!

Sorry Ney001, I thought we were discussing opinions on piercing a baby's ears, not piercing an Irish baby's ears. Ireland is a multi cultural society now, so we should expect more of it. That doesn't mean I think it's right BTW and would not have dreamed of having my daughters ears pierced when they were babies. What if they didn't like it when they grew up but were left with the holes anyway!!

liteweight said:
.. Ireland is a multi cultural society now

Ireland may contain different and diverse cultures, but multi-cultural it ain't. It is still predominantly a Roman Catholic society and a couple of hair braiding shop on Parnell Street doesn't make it multi-cultural. IMHO.

liteweight said:
There is a little thing called 'cultural relativity' to bear in mind .. we can't judge other cultures based solely on the values, norms and mores of our own.

Female genital circumcision. Good or bad ? Discuss.

Anyway, back on message. Why not a nice sovereign ring ? Or a Burberry bandana ? Deadly buzz !

liteweight said:
There is a little thing called 'cultural relativity' to bear in mind. Personally I agree with you ney001, but, we can't judge other cultures based solely on the values, norms and mores of our own.
No - but we can say what we like/dislike and hopefully without fear of inappropriately being branded as racist or xenophobic by the political correctness police.

Ireland may contain different and diverse cultures, but multi-cultural it ain't. It is still predominantly a Roman Catholic society and a couple of hair braiding shop on Parnell Street doesn't make it multi-cultural. IMHO.

I don't think the Roman Catholic Church has the same grip on the Nation that it once had especially in urban areas. What about the takeover of Moore Street by, mainly Chinese, the many great food outlets, the Mosque in Clomskeagh, the many 'Church' premises that have sprung up all over Dublin? The immigrant workers?

TarfHead said:
Female genital circumcision. Good or bad ? Discuss.

Can't even bear to think about it, never mind discuss it!!!

Back