Silver wrist chain bracelet for toddler.

justsally

Hi,

I'm looking to source a wrist chain bracelet, preferably silver, for a very young child. I know they can be got because I've seen one on a one year old child before. Does anyone know where I would be able to buy one in Dublin.
I've already checked out some jewellers but to no avail. I don't particularly want an indentity bracelet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Justsally

Jewellery for a one year old is crazy - it's an obvious choking/injury hazard.

sueellen said:
They're usually given as a christening keepsake rather than an item of jewellery.

True. Both my daughters received them. Worn on day of Christening and then put away as keepsakes.

You could always have the links taken out of an adult bracelet. I did this for a Godchild. Got better quality at the same price. Sometimes gifts for Christenings etc. are way over priced.

sueellen said:
They're usually given as a christening keepsake rather than an item of jewellery.
Obviously not always though:
justsally said:
I know they can be got because I've seen one on a one year old child before.
I've also seen babies with pierced ears which is really dumb in my opinion. Wonder when people will start getting them tattoos...

Worked part time in a jewellers while in college and can't tell you the amount of people who came in to the shop with babies (couple of months old) and asked did we do ear piercing!. Likewise for christenings we would get people buying adult chains for the baby and taking links out so they the chains would fit them now?????. Boggles my mind that somebody would put jewellery on a baby - they are not Christmas trees - I was looking at pictures in the Sunday world a while back they were running some kind of baby competition (also a tacky idea) but they showed the winner from last year and my god I couldn't believe the amount of jewellery on the child, at least 3/4 gold chains around her neck, then gold chains wrapped around her arms to look like loads of little bracelets. If the bracelet is just a keepsake it seems a bit pointless to me - what good is a bracelet for a baby when you're and adult - I suggest prize bonds or money in an account or even a nice silver photo frame! - something which doesn't lie in a drawer!

My daughter received a lovely locket as a christening present from my brother who was godfather with the intention is would be put away for her. She also received a little silver bracelet from her godmother,again a keepsake. My mother kept one that I recevieved and gave it to me as an adult. Would not let any small child wear the jewelry though as it could get caught in something and injure the child.
Also totally disagree with ear piecing until the child is in their teens at least again for safety reasons.

I had my ears pierced and it hurt. It also got badly infected and I went around like Van Gogh for a couple of months. Before anyone says it, I did pay attention to hygiene etc.etc. Can't understand anyone getting a baby's ears pierced. I couldn't bear to watch!!

As for jewellery as keepsakes, it's the same as keeping a 'Baby's First Year Book' etc.

The "heel test" after they're born is enough torture for them to avoid piercing until later in life - if ever!

ClubMan said:
I've also seen babies with pierced ears which is really dumb in my opinion. Wonder when people will start getting them tattoos...

Anyone remember the episode of the Royle Family when Denise said she was going to have her (as yet unborn) baby's ears pierced for the christening "like those Spanish babies". Jim says: "Jez, why don't you get the baby's ar*e tatooed while you're at it!". We got gifts of bracelets etc for our first child, they were put on for the christening and then filed away, never to be seen again I suppose.

Thanks Sueellen,

I've already tried McGoverns and the other jewellers in Henry Street. I'll check out Grafton Street.

Justsally

Europhile,

My taste is my own business, it's not for you to decide whether or not what I purchase is "tacky". I simply asked where something could be purchased - not whether or not it should be purchased!!!!

Justsally

I guess you're out of touch. Not all children are christened as very small infants. We now have a cosmopolitan society where children can be much older before the parents decide, for one or more personal reasons not to have a child christened within a few weeks of birth!!!.

Obviously not always though

Justsally

Hi Sally,

Did you have a look in Thomas Gear Jewellers in Ilac Centre. They are quite a good jewellers and might be able to help or order something in.

justsally said:
Europhile,

My taste is my own business, it's not for you to decide whether or not what I purchase is "tacky". I simply asked where something could be purchased - not whether or not it should be purchased!!!!

Justsally

Abject apologies.

Back