Siemens dishwasher deemed uneconomical to fix after 2 years

merid

Registered User
Messages
52
I purchased what I thought was a premium brand Siemens dishwater which is in its third year of light use.
It has developed a major fault and the siemens service engineer who I called said it was likely that it would not be economical to fix it.

Would I not have some recourse with the manufacture in this instance? I would not expect a premium brand to have such a short life.
 
I presume that it came with the standard 2 year Siemens warranty and not the extended 5 year warranty that comes with some of their appliances?
Is this thread of any use?
 
Thanks all for the advice. I don't think I have the time to go arguing with them. Just not sure what to do now as I face a bill to repair of over 300 Euro when I can get a new one for 700. Just a shame that everything seems disposable now, even the premium brands.
It has turned me off premium white goods however. I reckon its cheap and cheerful from now and just dump it after a couple of years.
 
I don't think I have the time to go arguing with them
If you document everything, include copies of receipts / call outs / dates / contact names / state the issue with the product and submit that letter to a manager in the place where you bought it. There are templates on the CCPC site for such.

In the letter, state that you are expecting a response within X days. Don't make the letter personal - just clearly state the facts and reference the CCPC information above. It's not a matter of arguing - it's your rights. You might be without a dishwasher for a few weeks, while the matter is resolved, or alternatively, as you mentioned, you can purchase a new one.
 
Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice. I don't think I have the time to go arguing with them. Just not sure what to do now as I face a bill to repair of over 300 Euro when I can get a new one for 700. Just a shame that everything seems disposable now, even the premium brands.
do you know whats wrong with it? i have an integrated NEFF dishwasher, its 9 years old now, last year it stopped heating the water so was effectively useless, getting someone out was going to cost 100s, i found the part and fitted it myself for 100 euro working perfectly again.
 
Deal with the shop, your contract is with them and your protections under consumer law are stronger than any warranty the manufacturer might offer. If they refuse, you should take a case to the Small Claims Court. It is not unreasonable to expect an appliance to last more than two years so it's likely to be a pretty straightforward case.
 
This is what really annoys me . .
Why are replacement items so expensive. It’s promoting an economy that’s not even remotely green. We should be promoting
-) vat free on white goods repairs .
-) vat free white goods parts.
-) promoting small local businesses to start and promote white goods repairs .

I too had a bosh dishwasher . 2 years in the heat pump kicked the bucket . 175 for the parts plus callout . Picked up a cheap Electrolux for 400.
I try to repair everything . From iPhones to white goods . 80 percent of the time it works . Thank god for YouTube .
 
VAT free does nothing to solve the issues.
-) promoting small local businesses to start and promote white goods repairs .
Most of those have gone out of business in recent years as consumer demand has led to cheaper and cheaper products that don't last as long and are more difficult to repair. A topic for a different thread perhaps.
 
It is not unreasonable to expect an appliance to last more than two years so it's likely to be a pretty straightforward case.
It's a long time since I've read or had to use the sales of goods act but afaik its 6 years
But that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it repaired free of charge, you might have to pay for labour
And the same goes if they decide to replace the machine, you might be asked to pay something for the 3 years of use of the broken machine
 
  • Like
Reactions: Leo
And the same goes if they decide to replace the machine, you might be asked to pay something for the 3 years of use of the broken machine
If the damage is caused by misuse perhaps, but consumer protections were strengthened in 2022 and the supplier must now repair or replace the item at no cost to the consumer within 6 years of purchase.
 
I too had a bosh dishwasher . 2 years in the heat pump kicked the bucket . 175 for the parts plus callout . Picked up a cheap Electrolux for 400.
I try to repair everything . From iPhones to white goods . 80 percent of the time it works . Thank god for YouTube .
Its the call out and labour charges that are the killer, if you can get the part and find a how to you on youtube thats the way to go!
 
This is what really annoys me . .
Why are replacement items so expensive. It’s promoting an economy that’s not even remotely green. We should be promoting
-) vat free on white goods repairs .
-) vat free white goods parts.
-) promoting small local businesses to start and promote white goods repairs .

I too had a bosh dishwasher . 2 years in the heat pump kicked the bucket . 175 for the parts plus callout . Picked up a cheap Electrolux for 400.
I try to repair everything . From iPhones to white goods . 80 percent of the time it works . Thank god for YouTube .
I have thought this for years, it really annoys me when government and manufacturers spout on about being green, when their are no laws and no repairs being done on goods. the amount of waste is phenomenal...
My stereo amplifier broke, needed a new hdmi motherboard, board + labour cost €275, the whole amp I could get brand new for less than €350!
Thks to youtube I prolonged the life of a dishwasher for a yr or 2 :)
 
Some additional opinion on the EU's approach to right to repair legislation here:
 
M
My reading of this is that a consumer has a limit of 6 years from purchase in which to take a case. It’s not necessarily saying that all goods should have a working lifespan of at least this duration.

Some white goods in everyday use would do well to get five years.
 
Would have said that is a bit unlucky with a Siemens unit, we have Bosch/siemens/neff (all same tech) in the kitchen for 9 years and all going well. Had a Bosch engineer out to look at a drip from dish washer once but it was a fitting issue not a machine issue. It does look like the control panel on dishwasher might be failing now, but think it will get to 10 years anyway.
 
Back
Top