We'd also have to allow a lifetime carry forward of capital losses on homes.would agree with some level of lifetime exemption.
I agree with you.I disagree with deferred taxation on death, but really a different question.
We'd also have to allow a lifetime carry forward of capital losses on homes.would agree with some level of lifetime exemption.
I agree with you.I disagree with deferred taxation on death, but really a different question.
I disagree that this has changed in substantial enough a way, to need your fait accompli of 'need to change', no evidence. Ireland would still have good levels of social mobility for those who want it.Therefore the old assumption that if you get a good job and save up you can buy your way into "middle class" suburbia doesn't apply any more. That means we have to change our taxation system to take that into account unless we want to end up with a very unequal society.
Between 1991 and 2022, house prices increased by 466%, whereas real wages increased by only 56%, indicating housing wealth vastly outpaced income growth. That increase in house prices happened due to an increase in capital in the economy.That's what wealth is.I disagree that this has changed in substantial enough a way, to need your fait accompli of 'need to change', no evidence.
Unless they want to buy a house.Ireland would still have good levels of social mobility for those who want it.
Okay so the top 1% of the top 1%?By upper end, I mean those with very large generational wealth. Not working families earning at whatever level and highly taxed, but utilising all their income across spending on normal life such as creches, transport, a home.
Most wealth in Ireland is held in the form of a family home. Excluding such wealth from a wealth tax is just using the taxation system to virtue signal and has no meaningful return to the exchequer and doesn't create a more equal society.Annual taxes on retained wealth is one thing, progressively increasing charges on a single family home do not fall and should not fall in this bucket, this is why we have the PPR as a separate item.
I agree that they are not the same. Ensuring that younger people starting off in adult life have somewhere to live is far more important.We will likely disagree on the level of social engineering in a functional society. Taxes on vices such as cigarettes and alcohol are not the same as somewhere to live.
We tax the earning and spending at a marginal rate of over 50%. We don't tax the retention of wealth at all. We hardly tax the transfer of wealth within families at all.or me anyway, it looks like you have a hyperfocus on returns to the exchequer and homes equaling wealth, rather than the majority of the country earning, spending and living.
Nothing happens in a vacuum. If it goes down in value there is no tax liability.Home buying and living doesnt happen in that narrow a vacuum, and my home value can go down as well as up- mostly thats a notional thing unless I want/need to move.
The home has a value and the ownership of that is, by definition, wealth.Living in your home and trying to trade up is not wealth, these are normal life/PPR.
It's not a negative treatment for those who don't own a home or those who won't inherit a large amount of wealth.I don't hate the rich or the poor, I simply think an over focus on taxing and retaxing an item which people have to live in, represents negative treatment for most of us (other than those for whom additional tax payments don't really matter).
This is insane. Most of these gains are simply inflationary. There is no gain in real terms. There are already provisions in the legislation to deal with development value of PPR gardens and such.But I wonder should we review the CGT exemption on the PPR.
But there should be allowance for capital losses in this situation.If it goes down in value there is no tax liability.
This is insane. Most of these gains are simply inflationary. There is no gain in real terms.
We also need to reintroduce indexation so only real capital gains are taxed.
Yes, I did say that above.If PPRs are to be classed as wealth they should be subject to the same taxes and benefits as equities.
That's not the way capital gains are calculated. Those items are allowable against corporation tax for a company or income tax for a sole trader, not CGT.All maintenance costs related to the PPRs should be deducted before any gains are calculated. These should include mortgage interest, cleaning, insurance, electricity standing charges, security costs etc, since the ownership period began.
You have gained the net increase in the value of your home.My house might be worth €400k now but it was worth IR£150k in 2002. I have gained nothing. I need somewhere to live.
The same way it works now, or we could move to a site value based tax. That's probably fairer.how would it work for owners who improve their properties increasing their value?
How much did it actually cost if it was bought with a mortgage?My house might be worth €400k now but it was worth IR£150k in 2002.
£150,000 = €189,000My house might be worth €400k now but it was worth IR£150k in 2002. I have gained nothing. I need somewhere to live.
It's a 3-bed end of terrace in a suburb of Dublin synonymous with the heroin trade. It has a little box room. The floor downstairs collapsed. There isn't a stitch of insulation.£150,000 = €189,000
€189,000 in 2002 = €288,815 in 2026. (Inflation Calculator)
€400,000 - €288,815 = €111,185.
You have gained €111,185
If you had bought the same house in 1992 or 2012 you would have paid far less and so made far more.