Should our immigration and asylum system be adapted to the skills we need?

Is it though? What's the current cost of a few scammers getting in? Is it in the hundreds of millions or even billions?

That's being phased out now in more and more airports as scanning technology has advanced to the point where the once very real threat of explosive materials being brought onboard has diminished.

I don't know how many scammers are really making it past our current checks undetected, but personally, I prefer the current system with all it's flaws over spending much more time in airport queues and paying more in airport fees.
I wouldn't say there was that many bringing explosives on jollies to Lanzarote either, so using sledgehammer to crack a nut has form when it comes to this stuff! :)

I wouldn't say there was that many bringing explosives on jollies to Lanzarote either, so using sledgehammer to crack a nut has form when it comes to this stuff! :)
Designate a list of 'less safe' destinations for further screening isn't workable. You would need to fully segregate all passengers going to those destinations at all times. Stop screening passengers going to one destination and then someone wanting to sneak contraband through just buys a ticket for that destination and hands the item off to someone else once beyond security.

But on Lanzarote and the Canaries in general the Spanish authorities have been dealing with increased weapons, drugs, and people smuggling operations, so not everyone is going there on a jolly.

Designate a list of 'less safe' destinations for further screening isn't workable. You would need to fully segregate all passengers going to those destinations at all times. Stop screening passengers going to one destination and then someone wanting to sneak contraband through just buys a ticket for that destination and hands the item off to someone else once beyond security.

But on Lanzarote and the Canaries in general the Spanish authorities have been dealing with increased weapons, drugs, and people smuggling operations, so not everyone is going there on a jolly.
Exactly. Workarounds are always possible via system vulnerabilities, and then word spreads about these, hence the doc-destroying immigrant situ. The same influx has not been identified in countries that do screen for docs so surely something has to give.

Exactly. Workarounds are always possible via system vulnerabilities, and then word spreads about these, hence the doc-destroying immigrant situ. The same influx has not been identified in countries that do screen for docs so surely something has to give.
Again, what's the cost here? From what I hear the US still has plenty of problems with undocumented despite spending tens of billions on border controls annually.

If there's a record of docs at point of departure and they don't have them at the other end then the scam is up and back they go. Would put a stop to the shenanigans fairly quickly.
How do they match the scanned documents to the person with no documents?
We'd have to check everyone as they got off the plane. That would mean passport controls at every gate. There are over 100 gates at Dublin airport. Do we have Immigration Officers at each of them?
Around 4 of the 12 million passengers who arrive here each year come from the UK where passport controls are not required. What happens if the bogus asylum seeker arrives from there?

How do they match the scanned documents to the person with no documents?
We'd have to check everyone as they got off the plane. That would mean passport controls at every gate. There are over 100 gates at Dublin airport. Do we have Immigration Officers at each of them?
Around 4 of the 12 million passengers who arrive here each year come from the UK where passport controls are not required. What happens if the bogus asylum seeker arrives from there?
Why would they be needed at every gate? Document check as normal and no landside entry if you don't or can't provide a form of info that can be checked and verified at boarding point of origin. We ourselves have to do this elsewhere, why such a free for all here?

Last edited:
Why would they be needed at every gate? Document check as normal and no landside entry if you don't can't provide a form of info that can be checked and verified at point of origin.
That's what I suggested. What's the point in scanning documents at the point of departure?
We ourselves have to do this elsewhere, why such a free for all here?
People have to do that here as well but if they have no documents and won't say where they arrived from then there's nowhere to send them back to. That's the problem. Scanning documentation at their point of departure won't prevent that problem. I would detain them until they provided identity documents. If that's the rest of their live then that's their choice.

People have to do that here as well but if they have no documents and won't say where they arrived from then there's nowhere to send them back to. That's the problem. Scanning documentation at their point of departure won't prevent that problem. I would detain them until they provided identity documents. If that's the rest of their live then that's their choice.
Absolutely no argument from me there, but the bleeding heart brigade will inevitably have a different view! :)

Absolutely no argument from me there, but the bleeding heart brigade will inevitably have a different view! :)
I'm all for letting refugees in though. I've no problem with that. I don't agree with the "we should be looking after our own first" brigade. Someone born here with access to our very generous welfare system and very well funded education system has no excuse not to be providing for themselves. I'd give welfare to genuine asylum seekers ahead of Irish people any day of the week.

Back