Shortage of secondhand cars.

Thanks for the good luck, I've just insured my now 15 year old car.
Aviva were looking for €30 extra on the renewal this year, but switched back to Allianz for €105 less than that.

A ~20% reduction even with my geriatric jalopy.
My car is 17yr old and my insurance went down this year

What make/model of car is it? Did it go down by much?
It's a Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol, it still doesn't use oil, averages 40mpg. I have the savings for another car but why change its only worth about €1500. The insurance was approx €45 less with Aviva, I thought this due to government action.

My car is 17yr old and my insurance went down this year
This is a trend.

Car insurance has fallen nearly 40% since mid-2016. In nominal terms it's as low as it was in 2001.

In real terms it's cheaper than it's ever been since records began in the mid-90s.

fredgraph.png

How is insurance relevant to shortage and increasing prices of 2nd hand cars.
A touch off topic.

I generally change every 3 years to bump up, newer tech / safety warranty and because I get bored and like cars.
Never bought new before.

Not this year as there just isn't the stock out there and defo no value.
Also the sensible Franks is telling me "nothing wrong with the current car" I don't like him, even if true.

Car lobby will be happy, even if there was availability in the uk the extra taxes kills most of the grey import market.
Some very ordinary cars for crazy money.

Not sure about there being "no stock". Any dealership I pass seems to be crammed full of cars. However the price for good 2nd hand cars has gone through the roof.

Personally speaking, I changed my car in Jan for a new model, my old one is still sitting, unsold, on the forecourt. It was in decent nick but the asking price is crazy for it

Called into a showroom yesterday on way home from a day out. This car showroom/garage is a distributer of 3 well known car models. At first glance there are A LOT of new cars, SUV's, vans big and small on the forecourt, I counted 35 (11 vans) between inside and outside, there were at a rough count 30 x 2nd hand cars on display in different areas. Every new car, SUV and van, etc was sold. Half of the 2nd hand cars were sold with signs on them saying so, the rest were for sale and I must say the prices I saw for them were pretty high. If I wanted to book my own in for a service I'd have to wait until the end of the month but would need to make my mind up and book it in otherwise it would be out to August. Enquired about a 21 2 car and it was one price only, not a penny off. Cash meant nothing. As for my own car, they gave the impression they would be more interested in just straight buying it off me rather than trading it against another car. I don't need to change car and didn't, just wanted to get an idea of what I'm hearing from a lot of people about garages and car sales, etc. Place didn't look busy but there you go, that was my experience.

I walk past a well known car dealer every day.
The forecourt used too be packed but nowadays they are leaving about 6-8 feet between each car too make it look like there is loads of cars but there isn’t it’s almost bare.

How is insurance relevant to shortage and increasing prices of 2nd hand cars.
A touch off topic.
Very off topic indeed but a few AAM regulars keep bringing up the same "if it's 15+ years old most insurers won't cover it" nonsense every time older secondhand cars are mentioned.

Back