Shortage of secondhand cars.

Interestingly when I moved to a new hybrid a couple of years ago, my insurance was reduced even though the value of the car was more then my old one. I was told it was because hybrid drivers were considered safer drivers but also I would imagine it was because it doesn't have the same welly as older cars.

Last edited:
Interestingly when I moved to a new hybrid a couple of years ago, my insurance was reduced even though the value of the car was more then my old. I was told it was because hybrid drivers were considered safer drivers but also I would imagine it was because it doesn't have the same welly as older cars.
My 22 year old Toyota (1.3 hatchback) gave up the ghost and I've now switched to a Toyota hybrid which has actually more welly (1.5 hatchback) ... insurance was the same (Aviva).

My 22 year old Toyota (1.3 hatchback) gave up the ghost and I've now switched to a Toyota hybrid which has actually more welly (1.5 hatchback) ... insurance was the same (Aviva).

New hybrids have a kick, I'm on my 2nd one and it is much better then my first one in terms of acceleration, insurance still cheaper though

Good luck next year when it's 15+ and most insurers won't cover it.
Thanks, I also have a 100+ year old house and many insurers won't cover, I don't think it's that big an issue really, just get quotes from the ones that do..
That AA article is 7 years old, things may have changed anyway..

I heard that hybrids are not great on mpg, how do you find yours?

I heard that hybrids are not great on mpg, how do you find yours?
Too soon to say as I only have it 2 weeks... I mostly city drive so lot of brake recharging opportunities. Would be different on motorway but havent been out of Dublin yet.

Car 16 years old. Not a problem for this year anyway. Paying premium later this month.

How many quotes did you get?
Did you switch insurers?
With same insurance company for several years. It did cross my mind that my car was turning 16 years but the quote came out and I called them and got a discount. I got no other quotes.

The insurance issue is with new drivers with no driving history.

Doesn't really come into it for drivers with a good record.

Too soon to say as I only have it 2 weeks... I mostly city drive so lot of brake recharging opportunities. Would be different on motorway but havent been out of Dublin yet.
New hybrids are definately more efficient then older versions. My new one has a gauge that tells you what % of a trip is battery and non battery, driving around town and assuming it's charged then I get about 60-65% on the battery. I did a couple of 80k runs on it recently, about 50k of that on motorway and was averaging 20-25% on battery

Good luck next year when it's 15+ and most insurers won't cover it.
Thanks for the good luck, I've just insured my now 15 year old car.
Aviva were looking for €30 extra on the renewal this year, but switched back to Allianz for €105 less than that.

A ~20% reduction even with my geriatric jalopy.

We've always bought used cars, but the rise in the price of used cars entirely changed the calculation for us. Not only were the cars we were looking at much more expensive, but our own car had also increased in value. Add to that my own judgement that we're approaching a tipping point for electric vehicles and an offer of 0% PCP financing from VW, and we took the plunge on a new ID.3. Took them 6 months to deliver but they honoured both the trade-in quote and the 0%.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have bought a new car on a PCP. My thinking though is that the problems in new car production and the likely continued rise in demand for used--particularly electric--cars make this a unique situation, one in which today's new EV is likely to retain a lot more of its value in 3 year's time than it otherwise would have. There simply won't be as many used cars in the 3-year-old sweet spot. Add to this that the government subsidies for new EVs may be reduced in the future, which is likely to increase the value of used EVs.

Anyway, this could all be wrong and there may be lots of other considerations I haven't taken on board. But we're loving the new car: it's like nothing I've ever driven before.
You're in trouble if Hydrogen takes off

Back