Shepherds Pie: Gordon Ramsay's recipe, leave out the red wine?

brodiebabe

I am going to attempt to make a shepherds pie this week. I was going to use Gordon Ramsay's recipe - the one he cooked on the F-Word last week.

He says to use red wine as well as stock. Do you think it would affect the dish much if I leave out the red wine?

Also whay stock should I use - can I just buy an Oxo chicken stock cub or something - I am using minced lamb.

Re: Shepherds Pie

I don't think leaving out the red wine would spell disaster - the addition of the wine is a kind of 'luxury' version I would say.

Real, meat stock is almost always preferable to cubes - but if you are using cubes I would use the 'Marigold Swiss bouillon' cubes/powder instead of Oxo. I think they are much better and less synthetic tasting. Think they are available in most supermarkets.

Thanks Caveat. Heading to Superquin now, I'll try and get those Marigold Bouillon cubes.

I disagree, leaving the wine out will seriously affect the flavour.

Also, you can get lamb stock, don't use beef!

Ok it's in the oven! Decided to use the red wine - just didn't want to open a large bottle, so I bought a mini in the shops.

I went with an oxo stock cube as the bouillon mentioned above was a fiver!

You know, brodiebabe, you could have opened the large bottle, used what was required for the shepherds pie and drank the rest.

can anyone tell me how he did the mash on top of shepherds pie, i cant remember - did he add eggs?

Back