Selling car privately NCT needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

creditworthy

Good evening ,
May I ask if it is necessary to have a NCT done on a car before selling it privately .. I`m thinking yes and have no problem doing that , just wanted to check if its actually necessary for me to do that or leave it to the new owner . The car will get a full check by a mechanic before selling it . Would I be liable to fix anthing that might go wrong after the sale .

May I ask if it is necessary to have a NCT done on a car before selling it privately
No.
Would I be liable to fix anthing that might go wrong after the sale .
No.

Buying from a private seller​

Private sellers advertise used cars through third-party auction websites, online marketplaces or in the small ads section of newspapers and car magazines.

If you buy from a private seller, you have very few legal rights. Consumer laws only apply to deals between a consumer (a person who buys a good or service for personal consumption) and a trader (a person acting for purposes related to their trade, business or profession). It does not apply when you buy from a private individual who is not a trader, for example, someone who is selling their own car to you but who does not sell cars as a profession.

If the car is dangerously defective, even as a private seller, you may still have liability.

While you don't need to supply a current NCT, for your own peace of mind and for some measure of protection for you and the purchaser, I'd recommend getting it done.

If the car is dangerously defective, even as a private seller, you may still have liability.
Can you cite anything that supports that assertion?
While you don't need to supply a current NCT, for your own peace of mind and for some measure of protection for you and the purchaser, I'd recommend getting it done.
Passing the NCT doesn't guarantee anything really.

Passing the NCT doesn't guarantee anything really.

"The NCT is a preventative road safety measure that ensures vehicles over four years old are subject to a basic safety check at regular intervals. "

I never stated it guaranteed anything, nor did I imply it was a guarantee of anything other than that it passed inspection on the date of the NCT check. Read the above quotation from the NCT website.

Anything to support the assertion that the seller might be liable if the vehicle is dangerously defective?

"When you buy a second-hand car from a dealer or a private seller there is a statutory implied condition that at the time of delivery the car is free from any defect which would render it a danger to the public."

"If the car turns out to be dangerously defective you can treat the contract as repudiated and demand a full refund or damages (which could be more than the price of the car, in some cases)."

"When you buy a second-hand car from a dealer or a private seller there is a statutory implied condition that at the time of delivery the car is free from any defect which would render it a danger to the public."

"If the car turns out to be dangerously defective you can treat the contract as repudiated and demand a full refund or damages (which could be more than the price of the car, in some cases)."
I'd still like to see actual case law that supports this assertion in regards to a private purchase.

Ah yes, I'd definitely be happy to get it done before selling it . Thank you.

I booked an NCT at the end of November because it was expiring at the end of January. The next available appointment was...June! Will it be a summer sale?!

I booked an NCT at the end of November because it was expiring at the end of January. The next available appointment was...June! Will it be a summer sale?!
They have an priority booking form on their website. No idea if it works. The whole system seems to be on it's last legs at the moment.

They have an priority booking form on their website. No idea if it works. The whole system seems to be on it's last legs at the moment.
Yes, it works. Wife used it in last 2 months.

There's such a backlog that they're only putting a percentage of appointments live on website. If you can't get a slot in time, use the form and they will send you an appointment. The downside is you've no choice about the timing of that appointment, so it might not be convenient.

Last NCT I got nothing from them in time. I was lucky enough to pick up a cancellation the night before. But they never rang or contacted me. It would have expired. I've another in a month.

Just booked my NCT there now, NCT expires beginning May 23, first appointment available to me in Deansgrange 6th of July 23

Moons ago I rang them saying I needed a appointment sooner as I was selling my car, and they were able to expedite the process.

Last edited:
IANAL but feel free to peruse the volumes in the law library in your own time.

Buying from a private seller​

Private sellers advertise used cars through third-party auction websites, online marketplaces or in the small ads section of newspapers and car magazines.

If you buy from a private seller, you have very few legal rights. Consumer laws only apply to deals between a consumer (a person who buys a good or service for personal consumption) and a trader (a person acting for purposes related to their trade, business or profession). It does not apply when you buy from a private individual who is not a trader, for example, someone who is selling their own car to you but who does not sell cars as a profession.

Citizens information now vs Irish Times article from 2005

Reactions: Leo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back