Self build or contractor

Hi Bartbridge,

will root out the costs tomorrow if i get a chance, i do have them but i'd need to kinda organise them. What style & size house are you hoping to build?

It's a dormer style, approx 2800sq.ft, thanks for that bcol1. Going for a plaster finish outside.

Hi Bartbridge,

Groundworks / Foundations - €17k
Blockwork - €36k
Roofing incl 5 velux - €47K
Windows/Doors - €24k
Fascia/Soffits/Gutters - € 3K
Granite Cills/Quoins/Chimney caps - € 5K
Plumbing - €14K
Electrical incl Alarm - €12k
Plastering & Slabbing - €17k
Carpentry - € 6.5K
Septic tank/Perolation/Footpaths - €10k
Well drilling & pump - € 2.5k
Pellet Burner - € 9.5k
ESB Connection - € 1.8k
Bathroom Suites - € 6.5k
Driveway hardcore filling - € 3k

After that it's into the decorating etc - Kitchen, Tiling, Floors, etc so those costs are all a matter of personal taste.

Our house is stonefaced to the front, but plaster finish everywhere else. Our Kildare CC fees were €15k.

Hope that helps.

Meant to say, our house is 2,600 bungalow on the ground, but we also partially converted the dormer, so the roofing costs included flooring out upstairs, and installing 5 velux windows.

Bcol

Fantastic info and good value! Just wondering did the wall cost include insulation? the roof costs seem a bit high even taking into account the partial finish, was there alot of corners and things like that?

All the same great post

15k fees to the council in kildare, that's a fortune ! in longford, we have paid 2,900k fees for a 2,800 sq ft house and a 500 sq.ft detached garage. i am aware there is a difference between the counties but that's a big diff.
we are doing the direct labour route and managing things from London ! mad or what but have good local people and my Dad and brothers will oversee things. so far we are almost finished the groundwork/foundations/made a driveway (60 ft back from the road) in to the house and that will all come to about £15k (5k for labour and about 10k for materials). having a precast concrete first floor which is costing 4.5k from Wrightspan in Monaghan. all internal walls are going to be block.
hope to start blockwork beginning of July (17k labour and 10k for materials at tops). buying blocks from whelans in roscommon - a load of 4" solid blocks (1,056 blocks in a load) costs 496 plus VAT which is pretty good.
concrete 35n20 was bought from spallons in glasson, athlone costing 700 + VAT per 10m or 560 + VAT for 8m.
getting 27 bog oak windows which have a 67mm upVC section with vista therma elite (minimises heat loss), set of french doors, wooden front door with sidelights and arched fanlight, a back door for house and a door for garage costing 13,810 from Fox & O'Rourke in Longford Town. Going to get a quote from Senator as well but unless Senator are a hell of a lot cheaper which I doubt they will be then we will use F&O based on local recommendations.
2 plumber nephews will do the plumbing, the local electrican will do the electrics, husband is a carpenter so he will do the roof and a local roofer wil do the slating.
we expect to have the house and garage watertight by end of September or if any delays certainly by end of Oct then we will have a rest ! hope to achieve all this for 100k (euros) at the very most.
next phase will be at Easter 2008 (first stage plumbing, electrics etc).
we have set aside 3 years to complete the build as we will not be living in ireland till 2010.
have looked at solar panels, wood pellet burners, geothermal etc and having none of them now. going with oil and rads and a good stove with a back boiler in lounge. lots of free timber and turf available.
we are waiting on quote for a vacuum system and hope to install this.
putting a chimney on the garage for the oil boiler instead of one those ugly pipes out the side of the wall and the wall gets dirty looking.
all fun and games and many hopefully cheap ryanair flights to Dublin !

Was in the same position - looking at pros and cons of Direct Labour Vs Contractor............very tempted to go down DL route becuase of savings but really I don't have a clue about building. Decision was made when we got a really competative quote of €85 sq foot for builders finish from a local very well thought of contractor...............so we jumped at it................ & I have to say I am 100% glad now. There are enough decisions to make, follow up on stuff etc with a contractor, multiply that by 100 for DL. As I am very busy in work i just wouldnt have time to be chasing up various contractors & to be honest i don't think we could have done it much cheaper DL. All in I think we should do it for max €120 sq ft included flooring, appliances, landscaping, council fees etc.........

Bcol1, that's a great breakdown, hopefully we will get as good of a deal. I was aware of the council fees, they must be one of the higher ones in this country but there's no way of avoiding them. Did you source everything locally?

Inchy,

yes, i included the cost of the insulation into the Groundworks, Blockwork & Roofing totals. We used Quinn insulation in the floors and walls, can't remember exact amount but i think it was double the recommended amount. Also double amount of ceiling insulation, cost of which is included in my Roofing total, and we had a contractor supply and fit that, that was €2,100 itself.
The roof costs were a lot higher than we had expected, it was probably the most surprising cost of the entire build. But we used foreign instead of native timber, and also used Tegral Rivendale Slates, (i had wanted natural slate but couldn't justify the cost in the end, so went with the Rivendale which has a ridge in it and looks very well). 5,500 slates used. The roof has 3 apexes at the front, and another apex at the back as the house goes out in an L shape, so there were more valleys than on a normal roof i guess.

Bartbridge,

yes, we sourced everything locally. Ordered most materials through our local hardware supplier - priced everything in 4 or 5 places, but always managed to get best deal through local suppliers, and much worked out much handier for delivery and no probs with taking back unused materials etc.

Hi Inchy,
Do you mind me asking are you still happy you used the Rivendale slate. We are trying to decide wheter to use natural or rivendale. There is a difference of 12000euro between buying them and the labour. I would love to use natural but we have already spent more than we had planned to do and the roof is not even on yet.
Thanks Zander

Back