Security of your personal items when going through security at Dublin Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of the terminals fast track is separate maybe t1
I was a frequent user of Dublin Airport up until last year. I now only use it about once a month.
In my experience the security screening is fast and efficient and the general service levels are very good.

Every inch of the screening area is covered by cameras so I don't worry about theft. I also put my wallet, keys and phone in my laptop bag or in a coat if I have one, prior to getting to the top of the queue.

The Fast Track lanes have their own scanners but if there is nobody using them the staff will direct other passengers to use it which is just common sense.

I also put my wallet, keys and phone in my laptop bag or in a coat if I have one, prior to getting to the top of the queue
If everyone did this, there wouldn't be any queue in the first place!

I can't understand the number of people who act as if they've never been outside their home before when they get to airport security.

If everyone did this, there wouldn't be any queue in the first place!

I can't understand the number of people who act as if they've never been outside their home before when they get to airport security.
Or the tourists leaving the country, who got here by plane, acting like it's all new to them.

As an example that the area is well monitored. a friend of mine accidentally left their phone behind in a tray and didn't notice for a few minutes. Went back and it was gone. Fair play to the airport police, they found the person on cctv, followed the cctv footage to the boarding gate and retrieved the phone from the person who had taken it just as they were about to get onto a flight.

If anyone is concerned about security of personal items during security check, then next time you are there, look up and see the dozens of cameras that cover every inch of space.

A total of 1400 cctv cameras are in use around the airport and the latest installations include facial recognition and can track "selected" passengers from the minute they enter to the minute they leave.

I think people are allowing themselves to become scared of everything, I mean how many millions of journeys are there through Dublin Airport and how many attempted robberies are there let alone successful ones.
People need to chill a bit more and be sensible with their packing.

Yes, there may be dozens of cameras in the area but does the opportunist thief know this? Not much use to me if I am delayed when trying to catch my flight or worse still miss my flight.

In contrast to previous posters, I always thought it very well-known that a lot of items go 'walkies' in airports ... ...

In contrast to previous posters, I always thought it very well-known that a lot of items go 'walkies' in airports ... ...

If your talking about the countless travellers that get their landside purchases of liquids, gels and banned products confiscated from them by security personal, then I might agree with you :D

This is a thing and security staff don't care. I was going on a weekend away to the UK and only had carry on luggage. I had two clear plastic bags of liquids the usual stuff make up, perfume etc. The contents of one of the bags was worth well over 250 if you count the perfume and make up. When I went to collect it it had been taken by the women before me. I asked security where my bags were and they just shrugged and said it's not their problem. Luckily one of the 'ladies' had a very unusual suitcase so I ran through the airport till I spotted it. When I ran up them I said excuse me you've taken my liquids and they denied it. I wouldn't let it go till they went through their stuff and there the bag was. They asked me how i knew it was them that had it and I pointed out the crazy suitcase. I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt until they asked me that. A loss of 250 is not the end of the world but it would have taken me ages to replace the stuff and security did not care. I'm much more careful at the airport now

MrsMoo the signs at security in the airport say you’re only allowed one plastic bag of liquids. I used to use 2 sometimes rather than struggle to squash everything into one - but I don’t anymore. Unless I can assign the second one to my son or husband!
Last time I went through security a lot of liquid items were taken by the staff. A few people in the queue had made no effort to use plastic bags. They had a wash bag. The security staff assisted them to put as many small items as possible into one plastic bag. Then confiscated anything that wouldn’t fit in one bag, or was over 100ml.
My sister travels regularly for work, once she left her liquid items behind at security in error, and lost a lot of good make up. She doesn’t bring good make up anymore - she brings budget make up in her carry on now.
Thirsty, a bottle of perfume could be over €100 on its own. A small number of premium brand make up items could easily bring the total to over €250! But most women I know wouldn’t have many premium brand items.....

It can be difficult keeping liquids and creams to a minimum. If I am staying in a hotel when abroad I am happy to use their soaps/shampoos provided. If renting an apartment I bring my own. We have tiny bottles that we just refill for each trip. Small toothpaste kept for trips. Of course under the new Ryanair rules you can pay to put your 10kg bag in the hold with as many liquids that you want.

I would still be concerned about the security of my personal items. Yes there may be multiple cameras overlooking the security area but the last thing I want to be doing is looking for the airport police when I am trying to catch a plane.

The current system is that the person is separated from their baggage rather than staying with their baggage while going through security but not before or after.

That would be my view too. We keep a close eye on everything and do not go thru the human scanner until our bags/toiletries have passed thru.

MrsMoo the signs at security in the airport say you’re only allowed one plastic bag of liquids. I used to use 2 sometimes rather than struggle to squash everything into one - but I don’t anymore. Unless I can assign the second one to my son or husband!

There are little aerosols you can decant your main perfume into. Or bring a perfume sample with you instead of your normal bottle. Mini shaving tin for hubby. And if travelling for extended periods buy shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste at destination. Saves on weight and space.

First world problem though isn't it.
I can just see the smug faces of those people crossing the Med from Libya, knowing that they can bring as much perfume and liquids as they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back