Security of your personal items when going through security at Dublin Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsleOfMan

I have noticed a recent security problem when going through security at Dublin airport. This applies to the normal security walk through and Fast Track.

You approach the conveyor belt and place your suitcase on it. You then get a second tray and place your personal belongings such as liquids, belt, jacket, laptop, mobile phone, e-reader, wallet etc.

You then have to stand in line to walk through the metal detector thingy. I have noticed that this queue is often quite long. Reason being that some people no matter how many times you tell time to take off all metal objects, will not. You also have the situation where random people are "selected" for a full body scan. All this causes delays.

In the meantime your cases have passed through and are sitting waiting on the other side for you to walk through and collect them. Laptop, phone etc just sitting there exposed.

Wide open to have items stolen.

I am what you’d probably call a frequent flyer, mainly Dublin to continental Europe, with the odd intercontinental flight thrown in. I have passed through dozens of Airport’s, and been suspected to hundreds of security checks.
I was never in any way concerned about theft at those checks. There was the odd security control where I wasn’t entirely sure if a bribe would simplify things, but that was not in Europe.

But reg Dublin specifically - you can be sure that it would be all over the news / social media if there was ever a theft. Can’t say that I have seen or heard about that ever, not even in some “dodgy” countries. (Doesn’t meant it never happens I guess)
If it was so easy to nick stuff at airport security, it would happen all the time. It doesn’t. Why not? Because you are literally watched every second. And not exactly easy to escape now isn’t it.
I still keep my eyes on my stuff if possible, but mainly to make sure I can find it and move on quickly.

As it were, the world is not as dangerous a place as you might think, and people aren’t getting robbed or mugged or killed all the time everywhere.

I certainly agree that more could be done to improve this area. For example if someone was carrying through a prohibited item deliberately and it was spotted. The security guy shouts "Who owns this bag"? Nobody owns up because as you walk through you are not "linked" to your bag.

Let’s just say it isn’t exactly a crime epidemic.
Checked in Luggage theft is happening more often, but even here the numbers are very low.
This isn't about checked in luggage. This is about having to leave you "carry on items" exposed as you pass through security.

Wallet, passport, keys etc can all be zipped up in your carry on bag.

Open to correction, but I'm pretty sure I've never been asked to remove my mobile phone from my bag. I dont bother with any other devices these days.

If anyone really wants my small liquid items, they are in greater need & I'll happily do without.

When you know you have to go through security, why do you have pockets full of stuff anyway? Leave the belt and jacket in your bag, wear slip on shoes; you don't need clatters of scarves, hats and jewellery to hurtle through the air in a metal tube.

And for the love of mike, don't bloomin' well dress yourself at the other side of the scanner - there are benches and tables set apart for you to sort out your gear!

Laptops is the one thing that I would be concerned about and I'll be honest, I keep an eagle eye on it till I'm through.

Just reading this and am wondering is there anything people don't complain about anymore? Next it'll be someones shopping not being safe when left on the belt before it's scanned, or maybe you've left down the newspaper while you read the supplement and that's in danger of being stolen, etc, etc, etc. Is there no end to all of this, little if any of what's mentioned leads to theft, cameras are everywhere in Dublin airport but not so people will notice. Rant over. (for now):(

Just reading this and am wondering is there anything people don't complain about anymore

That's funny. I remember you getting your knickers in a twist over a few things. The Hyundai salesman not getting back to your brother, the Knotweed problem, people bringing alcohol in to pubs etc. I suppose when it's other people they are complaining but when it's you it's not complaining? :)

That's funny. I remember you getting your knickers in a twist over a few things. The Hyundai salesman not getting back to your brother, the Knotweed problem, people bringing alcohol in to pubs etc. I suppose when it's other people they are complaining but when it's you it's not complaining? :)

Wow, that's some memory you have. Busy busy busy bee with that keypad. And I don't wear knickers.

Being honest the only thing I’d worry about is my watch so I take it off before security put it in a pouch and zip it in a pocket. Rather that than leave it in a tray on display and potentially unsupervised

As a regular traveller through airport security, I have never experienced theft. With two metal hips, I am always frisked, which is no problem to me, but can maybe cause delay to those behind. I keep an eye on my stuff which is invariably ahead of me, and am reassured by security staff that there are many cameras specifically targetting that area. As previous posters suggest, just put all your stuff, apart from liquids/tablet/laptop into your bag and make life easier for fellow travellers.

actually i just pay for fast track now, security queues in Dublin are generally long and slow, especially we have our daughter with us.

and at the moment fast track is free if you are with vodafone so no excuse!

Last edited:
I have noticed the same issue - a long queue with the bags gone ahead long before me. So I do as Thirsty suggests:

I asked this question before in the queue. Everything in a tray but there was a delay with scanning. I walked through with other people and personal belongings were still landside. Eventually they came through after a couple of minutes. I asked the security guard that if they found something in my belongings, what was stopping me from saying it wasn't mine and you forced me to leave my belongings unattended for a few minutes. He just gave me a look and basically told me to move on. The whole security thing always strikes me as a pretty flawed. They stop you bringing loads of stuff airside but then will sell you the same stuff once you go through security. Knives, scissors, razor blades. I have even seen flammable aerosol's on sale.......Fair enough if they search you again getting on the plane but that is only very limited. And yet they have turned the whole thing into an industry....

Really? I never heard the before!
see here

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/comp.html

used to include a butlers coffee also, its from a different vendor now.

you have to complete a form in my vodafone each time (it gives you a code to use on the airport website then that you enter on the fast pass payment screen) the beauty is that you can get as many as you want so one vodafone user can get for all the family

I have used the Vodafone free Fast Track and will be using it again this week.

However the Fast Track only brings you to the top of the queue. You merge with the non Fast Track queue. There is no dedicated area to place your cases or walk through the scanning. There should be a dedicated area for the fee charged.

I would disagree with what some posters have said. Quite often your cases and personal electrical items go on ahead of you and it is not possible to see them when you are still standing in the queue waiting to be scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back