Scrap the 1c and 2c coins.

M

Marion

According to [broken link removed], Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Finland are in the process or have done this.

This would necessarily involve price-rounding rules where retailers are allowed to round down or up the price at the check-out to the nearest five cents.

Would it be a good action? I think it would. They are a complete nuisance.

Am I wrong to suspect that it is the consumer though who will end up paying the price if it were introduced in Ireland - that the price would be rounded up as opposed to down?

Marion :hat

They are not a complete nuisance. They are valuable currency.

I presume people only find them a nuisance if they find them valueless and never use them for purchases. If this is the case then just throw them away when you get them or stick them in a charity jar so that someone who does value them can get benefit.

z

I always pop these little puppies into the nearest collection box/tin as soon as I get them. The ones that do inevitably end up at home are thrown into a pile. Let's face it, if they are put out of circulation prices will probably round up rather than down and I'd rather have them in my pocket than the shop-owner's till.

That aside, I don't think they were meant for prolonged circulation. I thought they were just provided for the initial change-over so people could see the £ ==> € conversion transparently. But they have probably nearing the end of their commercial life. Still, doesn't mean people shouldn't find something better to do with their loose coppers.

I'd have thought their dissappearance would have a significant inflationary effect.

disagree

I have no problem with them and use 1c and 2c coins all the time.

Milk is 1.62, so I hand in 2.02.

6-pack of pils is 6.99, so I hand in 7.09.

etc., etc.

Re: disagree

Protocol,

€1.62 ?

You should try most of the supermarkets own brand stuff - normally €1.19 for 2l of normal milk.

z

the trick

I would have thought the trick is to do away with the coins but leave the prices. leave the prices at multiples of 1,2,3,4 cents. Then (taking the milk example) if your total bill is 1.62 you pay 1.60 but if its 1.63 you pay 1.65. Mathematics should dictate you even out.
Shopkeepers may price single items in their favor but theyed lose out if customers bought more so it wouldnt be worth their while. Just my 0 or 5 cents.

I would say that I am a pretty useful recycler of the coins, but I still find them a complete nuisance.

We have too many coins. Did anybody lament the withdrawal from circulation of the 1/2p a number of years ago? I didn’t.

Marion :hat

In Sweden they have been rounding up or down the price at the checkout for years. the smallest coin there is equivalent to the 5 cent coin.
I think they should do that here soon as I hate those small coins. Its such a delay at the checkout to even try make up 10 or 20 cent with them.

Janeom

pennies for milk

Yes, I know that milk is 1.19 in Lidl. Is it this low in Tesco and Dunnes??

I dislike the Irish habit of hoarding coins. I am the barman's best friend with my 5.40 or 10.40 for my 3.40 pint of stout.

With the girlfriend in tow, it's 6.80 for a round, so I tender 11.80. Jaysus, that confuses some of them[/b]!!

pennies for milk

They also round of to the nearest 5c in Australia. Thought it was a great idea when I was out there. But knowing the rip-off nature of this country everything would probably be rounded up.

coinage

There exists a much different attitude to small coins out foreign, they'll think nothing of holding up a long queue to give the exact change and shopkeepers and the like dislike large bank notes in general i've found. It makes sense, however I'm a divil for hoarding.I Have various receptacles filled to the brim with small change.(bad for the ecconomy I'm informed).
Was coming home from away the other week and was taking the air link from the airport to the city centre, counted out €5 in small coins only to be told by the driver that they don't take coppers.
Some joke.

Re: coinage

The real danger if we get rid of the 1c and 2c coins prices will not only go u by 5c...many retailers will see it as an excuse to put prices up by 10c or more...

women shoppers

Once again today I was stuck in a check out queue behind a woman who emptied the contents of her purse on the counter and asked the girl to take the required coinage.I've never seen a man do this, we generally just offer a fiver or whatever and not hold everyone up.

Re: women shoppers

Have you never been stuck behind a guy while he checks each of his forty coats and fifty pockets for that euro he knows is "there somewhere".

There's only so much tongue-biting a gal can do; between the "women drivers and lights" thread and now this comment, my feminist heckles are up (biased duly declared lads). Why do male contributers keep reducing issues into gender arguments?

Rebecca

children of the andes

register charity her in ireland that looks after street children in Columbia. The businesses employ guys to shoot them like animals, and they live in the sewers.
€100,000 collected so far and they run schoosl and sanctuaries.

Heard it on RTE 12:30 approx.

They will gladly all coins from homes,foriegn, old Irish, small change.

The number & details was given our later but I missed them.

If anyone has them, please post as I have a lot.

0]

Rebecca,

I sense there's some purposeful trolling going on to target "women" in a few threads recently. The idea is to get a rise I suppose...not that I'd be the best person to give advice about ignoring that sort of thing mind you.

Thanks piggy, I try my best to keep schtum but I'm too mouthy to manage it all the time. I'll be alright after a little lie down! :)

Rebecca

Re: children of the andes

Is this it cerberus?
[broken link removed]

I'm too mouthy to manage it all the time

I know the feeling.

Back