Satellite Dish on neighbours house

D

daithid2000

Hi,

Our next door neighbour has just installed satellite TV and the dish is at the back of our houses. It is about three quarters of the way up the wall and is attached just inside the neighbours part of the house. The dish is facing towards our house meaning that when we look out our upstairs bedroom we get a nice big view of a dish pointing our way!

Mrs Daithid2000 is none too happy with this and wants something done about it. It is only a new estate and we are only in the house about 2 months, and still haven't had any interaction with the neighbour (who seems to be a sole occupant girl) and I'm not too impressed with our introduction being a "Hey move your dish Mrs"!!

What are other peoples views on this and what could be done about it. Most of the other houses on our drive seem to have the dishes placed on the chimney, thus not obstructing anyones views.

Views (pardon the pun) and advice welcomed.

i think you have zero literal rights to get it moved. You woul;d have to appeal to her to move it. Bear in mind it will cost her cash so you can expect a liley answer of feck off.
You only need planning to get a dish onto the front of your house.

Re: ..

offer to move her dish to her chimney.

offer to move her dish to her chimney.

Yeah, might try that, but am not too impressed with the idea of having to shell out money because she stuck it in a crap place to start with. If she had put it to the other side of the back of the house it would have been obstructing her view!

"We strongly recommend you do not use chimney mounting as this is against the code of practice as issued by the confederation of aerial industries."

Who are the confederation of aerial industries? All the other dishes seem to be on the chimneys in our area, and that is where we were going to put ours?

Daithi,

Approach the neighbour the nice way, and consider trying to negotiate with the installer to do your own install as well as the retro-fit next door to avoid paying for two call outs ... if this works with the installer, the neighbour might be more obliging if she doesn't have to pay a call out charge.

But more importantly ...
All the other dishes seem to be on the chimneys in our area, and that is where we were going to put ours

I think you're mad. If the nicey nice approach does not work, find the most awkward place on your house that would obstruct her view (and still be legal) and threaten that you will go ahead and put it there unless she is willing to compromise. You need not have any intention of going ahead with it, but sound like you are serious if she gets thick.

Console yourself that bad and all as it is, it is movable. I knew someone on one half of a semi-d where a down pipe separated the houses out front. The neighbour built a garden wall between the houses when my pal was away. Realised the wall and down pipe would meet, so chose to position the wall 12 inches into my pal's garden to avoid the pipe !

Hi Daithi, just my opinion. The dish is at the back of the house. I built a little garden shed without planning, and it suits our family function for bicycles, tools etc. I would be upset if one of my neighbours objected to its presence. I would take it personally, but maybe that's just me.

I really feel that this person would be irritated if asked to move it.

Hi Once Bitten, (must've been a deep bite!) why bother going in on the offensive? A good relationship with neighbours is worth it's weight in gold. Would a p******* off neighbour ring the police if there was suspicious activity and you were on holidays? Would a p****** off neighbour take a parcel delivery if you were out?

Daithi, don't get me wrong, I see your point, but on the scale of irritations with neighbours, you should feel lucky that it is only a satellite dish and not a constantly whining dog or a party house.......It doesn't make it right, but just a thought.

But in that case once bitten, your friend would have no worries resorting to legal means to get that wall knocked...

Well, I just think it's Mrs Dahid2000 that needs talking to and not the neighbour. Live and let live!

Tit for tat?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Mount an aluminium flagstaff on your gaff that intersects the focal-point of the dish. Presto-chango! No reception.

An e-mail to your local councillor might help. I understood that if the dish was blocking light in your property, then they need planning permission irrespective of whether its at the front or rear of the house

The house next to mine is in bedsits and last year I came home to find one of the residents installing one of those huge Freeview dishes over the front door! Talk about ugly!

I asked him nicely to put it somewhere else. (Higher up on the wall -- still ugly but better than nearly banging my head on it every time I walk out the door). He said the landlord said he could put it where he liked. I persisted and he moaned about not having the ladder and tools to move it. Quick as a flash I offered the use of my ladder, drill etc. Then he was out of bolts. No problem, I would drive down to the hardware shop and get them myself. In other words, I called his bluff and he went for it.

In the end the reception wasn't good enough for the guy so he moved, taking his dish with him.

I kid you not.

For what it's worth, if the dish is mounted on the front of the house the planning permission is required first - see .

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:

- A satellite dish (up to 1 metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house.

Dish restrictions

Planning permission might be necessary,but it can't be denied if logical reasons are a "proofed fact".We have the right of free access to information and if there is no other technical way to receive the channels that you need than this right can't be denied.This would be the case if the available cable or antenna won't allow for the reception of wanted channels.A "proof" could be a.)you want to watch your home channels in case you are a foreigner or b.) you are a journalist .In these cases the EU court in Strasbourg has already cases accepted (which are still pending as far as I know) ,but there are also cases where no formal juridical processes have been started -yet.For example for language students,business people who need access to business channels,diplomats etc..

Re: Dish restrictions

Planning permission might be necessary,but it can't be denied if logical reasons are a "proofed fact".

Be that as it may (and I know nothing about it to be honest) if one wants to mount a dish on the front of a property then planning permission is required first.

Dish restrictions

If a planning decision denies fundamental rights it is invalid/it can be appealed,if necessary to Strasbourg.That means one can insist on the granting of the permission.I am not a lawyer,so don't take my advice as a legal statement.

Interesting point heinbloed -- but Clubman's point is good too. Regardless of whether it can be denied or not, the permission is still required. So one has to go through the planning process. This in itself would be enough to persuade most people to mount the dish on the side or back of the house if reception can be received there. Have to say I was unaware that permission was required, and it's certainly good to know when dealing with neighbours who are inconsiderate about dish location.

Hey, glad you registered heinbloed - why the change of mind? :)

If a planning decision denies fundamental rights it is invalid/it can be appealed,if necessary to Strasbourg.

While that may be theoretically possible I can't really see most individuals pursuing a planning permission rejection through the courts and particularly to Europe particularly given the costs that might be involved.

Re: Dish restrictions

heinbloed - do you have more information on this ? I just have my doubts that the right to free free access to information is enshrined in EU legislation and regulations.

It is perfectly possible to access many information sources without having to mount any devices on your property.

If this would be the case then presumably people could start hacking pay to view systems and claim that they have the right to free access to information as their defence.

What if my chosen information source is radio signals originating beyond this solar system - can I stick the equivalent of Jodrell Bank in the front garden and claim that anyone trying to make me get rid of them is infringing my rights ?

Note that diplomats (at least in their embassies and residences) would be exempt from normal planning regulations, or at least exempt from prosecution and enforcement.

It is true that you can appeal decisions to higher parts of the EU, but I am not convinced that the right to free access to information is a proven basis. Not to say someone can't be the first to use it as their basis in the future.

I would be itnterested to see if you have any references.

z

Dish restrictions

Sure,zag.
It is the Treaty of Rome which gives us the right to use a satellite dish and which demands the Irish Gouvernment to make sure that this is not unduly hindered.
I am not to familiar with the treaty,may be you could help us to find the necessary article?
Here is the official speech of Mr.Liikanen,ex EU commissioner responsible for the Satellite Action Plan.
[broken link removed]
To make it short I cite the part that is essential here in the Forum:
"The Commission has also very recently adopted a Communication in which it sets out the right to use a satellite dish in the Internal Market,based on the free movement of services and goods,which are both fundamental freedoms provided by the Treaty of Rome.According to this communication,users should be free to use satellite dishes without undue technical,administrative,urban planning or tax obstacles."

The free movement of goods includes the free reception of goods,which does not mean that one has not to pay for the pay channels,smiley....

Back