Same sex couples and their human rights

Since when was it a "human right" to be entitled to raise a child, either as a straight or gay/lesbian couple?

Since when was it a "human right" to be entitled to raise a child, either as a straight or gay/lesbian couple?

It is a human right to be equal under the law. The rest follows from that.

Nature says man+woman MAKE child.
Nature says nothing about who raises a child.

Nature doesn't write things down for us, we should follow through to our own conclusions. As a species we have become corrupt and greedy and that can be put down to evolution or whatever, i'm just stripping the argument back to its core.

If those conclusions lead to discrimination then perhaps we need to re-examine how we got to those conclusions?

Definitiely, we should always be open to re-examining how we approach core aspects of human life.
Discrimination has many guises and is too easily bandied about, we are not all equal even though we claim equality is of paramount importance.
You can take the moral high ground and I can walk in the real world.
I'm comfortable with my conclusions but I am always open to the possibility that my thoughts on all subjects can change.

Nature has provided a lot of things that humans can use , do you have any problem with people smoking grass/magic mushrooms/ licking toads etc?

we are not all equal even though we claim equality is of paramount importance.
Equality is not based on the assumption that everyone is equal. It is about making sure that everyone has equal rights, and equal access to employment and services.

Equality is not based on the assumption that everyone is equal. It is about making sure that everyone has equal rights, and equal access to employment and services.
It is still a flawed ideal, but we are getting even more OT

It is a human right to be equal under the law. The rest follows from that.

So if one couple is entitled to adopt a child, then every couple is equally entitled?

Why bother with screening processes then?

AFAIK there is no "right to raise a child" enshrined in any law in this country, except for those covering natural birth parents/children (if indeed they exist)

So if one couple is entitled to adopt a child, then every couple is equally entitled?

AFAIK there is no "right to raise a child" enshrined in any law in this country, except for those covering natural birth parents/children (if indeed they exist)

That's not what is saying. He is saying every couple is entitled to try and adopt. That's not to say that every couple is suitable to adopt but their sexuality shouldn't preclude them from trying or be successful if they are deemed suitable parents.

This is nonsense. No-one is suggesting that anyone has an absolute right to adopt a child.

What people are suggesting is that sexual preference has no relevance to the adoption process. So screen away, but don't use sexual preference to screen.

I never said a couple's sexuality should preclude them from trying to adopt (or do anything for that matter)

Are gay and/or lesbian couples currently excluded under law from adopting in this country or do they go through the same screening processes that straight couples do?

Hey, you brought it into the topic, so don't be surprised when someone points out the flaws in your arguments.

Not surprises me here especially the ability for people to get the wrong end of the stick and try to twist arguments that attack the poster and not the subject matter.

Not surprises me here especially the ability for people to get the wrong end of the stick and try to twist arguments that attack the poster and not the subject matter.
I don't think I've seen any personal attacks on this thread. If you did see any, click the red triangle and report it to the moderators.

I don't think I've seen any personal attacks on this thread. If you did see any, click the red triangle and report it to the moderators.

I have developed a thick skin over the years so I can take the fact that yourself and others claimed that I was posting dishonestly aka. lying without the need to go clicking on a triangle.

I have developed a thick skin over the years so I can take the fact that yourself and others claimed that I was posting dishonestly aka. lying without the need to go clicking on a triangle.
I've just gone back over my posts on the thread. I never claimed that you were lying. I never attacked you personally instead - just your posts. I didn't notice anyone else doing this either.

Back