Ryanair Industrial Action

Well Ryan Air blinked; they are recognising Unions.
Hopefully the Unions don't close this business, just like so many others.

Trade Unions are necessary. If staff were treated properly at all times there would be no need for unions. History keeps repeating itself and while I support those who do not want trade union representation, I believe any employee outside of trade union membership needs to look at himself objectively.
So if employees have a good relationship with their employer and see that they have a common interest in the success of that business do you really think it's a good idea to bring in an outside organisation which has the dual interest of getting as many subscriptions as possible and has no real interest in the business or the employees as they are just more members, or customers, of their union?

After years of bluster and arrogance against trade unions, it doesnt appear to have taken too much to smash that hardline in the end.
I hope the Union in question doesn't take such a antagonistic, confrontational and emotive tone with the company which employs their members.

It is important to remember that the Union is not made up of the Ryan Air pilots, rather it is a separate organisation which makes its money by getting people to join it. Confrontation is its lifeblood. Balanced and civil engagement by all stakeholders in a business or organisation are its enemy.

I hope the Union in question doesn't take such a antagonistic, confrontational and emotive tone with the company which employs their members.

Lets hope its the end of Ryanairs years of antagonistic, confrontational and emotive bluster when it does finally meet with unions.

I've had to pinch myself , I must admit that I never thought that I'd see the day when Michael O'Leary would recognise a Union .
I'm absolutely thrilled & hope that all other groups within the Airline manage to organise - the baggage handlers immediately spring to mind .
I'm a bit wary of this olive branch & await the response of the Unions involved before celebrating too wildly .
But hey there's a spring in my step today !

Hello,

Agree that there's a place for trade unions and they do plenty of good ... but sadly, they also cause plenty of unnecessary problems when militant attitudes kick in.

Better legislation and infrastructure to support that legislation, would reduce the need for trade unions etc.

Getting back to Ryanair, I must admit I was expecting a running battle for a while before there was any sort of preliminary deal struct and while there's yet to be agreement on terms, the principal has been agreed with Ryanair agreeing to recognise unions.

Lets just pray that these unions don't turn Ryanair into a disaster like Alitalia etc.

I've had to pinch myself , I must admit that I never thought that I'd see the day when Michael O'Leary would recognise a Union .
I'm absolutely thrilled & hope that all other groups within the Airline manage to organise - the baggage handlers immediately spring to mind .
I'm a bit wary of this olive branch & await the response of the Unions involved before celebrating too wildly .
But hey there's a spring in my step today !
Not really that surprising, even the great industrialist Henry Ford wowed he would engage with any workers union.....but he did!

So if employees have a good relationship with their employer and see that they have a common interest in the success of that business do you really think it's a good idea to bring in an outside organisation which has the dual interest of getting as many subscriptions as possible and has no real interest in the business or the employees as they are just more members, or customers, of their union?

Familiarity breeds contempt. I know there are fair employers who have the best interests of staff at heart. You have good and you have bad employers. If all employers were good you wouldn't need trade unions. If all employees were good you wouldn't need lots of litigation. One thinks the Yin and the Yan. And just for the record the biggest trade union in the country represents employers. They need "unions" too.

Hey! Purple do you think unions are for employers only?

Just when it was time to light the cigar...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1215/927552-ryanair-industrial-action/

...its game back on, Ryanair 'cannot' meet until Wednesday, but request pilots to call off strike - scheduled for Wednesday.
Maybe its because their is no-one to cover for their legal and human resource staff until then?

From the outside looking in, I would recommend that the strike be called off. This is a game of give and take, today Ryanair gave more than anyone ever thought they would. If strike goes ahead, after the public statement accepting trade union representation, then it plays into Ryanairs hands as union instrangience and exactly the reason why Ryanair never engaged unions before.

On the otherhand, from the inside looking out (im taking liberties here admittedly), is this Ryanair trying to buy time? If the strike is cancelled, a meeting happens Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, then negotiations collapse, the union will have to serve notice again. Only this time any potential strike will be after the hectic Christmas schedule, in which case Ryanair wont be in as vulnerable position.

Last edited:
heard that about wanting the meeting wednesday (bit of a laugh)
if ryanair was serious about recognizing the pilots union and trying to prevent strike they would clear their schedules of every other meetings/ work through weekend ,and meet pilots straight away and get this sorted ,seems they are just playing games /giving pilots union runaround ,pilots need to keep pressure on/getting some sort of legal agreement from ryan air ,even at that ryan air will probably refuse to acknowledge union down road ,not sure about unions in other countries but will need to link to aircraft ground handling staff unions as well

I would recommend that the strike be called off. This is a game of give and take, today Ryanair gave more than anyone ever thought they would. If strike goes ahead, after the public statement accepting trade union representation, then it plays into Ryanairs hands as union instrangience and exactly the reason why Ryanair never engaged unions before..

I would agree with this.

Ryanair had to swallow a lot of pride to make the announcement they have made, now it's time for the unions to make an important gesture too.

It's going to be difficult enough trying to get any sort of working relationship up and running between the two sides, without the unions now trying to push Ryanair even further, at this early stage.

So, the question is, do the unions really want to get to the negotiating table with Ryanair, because if they do then there's an opportunity to meet this Wednesday and get the ball rolling.

heard that about wanting the meeting wednesday (bit of a laugh) ....

I don't see it as a laugh at all, I see it as Ryanair telling the unions if they want to talk then they cancel plans for a strike and come in on Wednesday to talk ... rather than stand outside on the picket, disrupting both the business and passengers alike.

I would expect that the unions are likely to lose significant public support, if they continue to press ahead with plans for their strike, having been offered the chance to meet.

Last edited:
It smacks of brinkmanship on Ryanair’s part , simply arrange the meeting prior to Wednesday - difficulty solved.
You really can’t blame the Unions involved for being more than slightly suspicious of Ryanair’s motives given the outrageous comments on Unions by Mr. O’Leary.
Heartening to see that cabin crew representatives are straight out of the blocks seeking similar Union recognition.

Last edited:
In my 20s I worked in London with a weekly take home pay of £180. A flight home was £200.

Difficult enough for me a carefree singleton, there were thousands of middle aged labourers on similar money separated from their families by the cost of travel.

I dont know how Air Lingus pensioners sleep at night, given the human misery that paid for their cushy jobs and fat pensions.

Tony Ryan, Seamus Brennan and Michael O Leary changed all that.

My initial thought was to cancel the strike on foot of the public announcement that recognition would be given to unions.
However, the notion that Ryanair cannot meet until Wednesday is ludicrous and smacks of intent to to engage in less than respectful tactics with the pilots representatives.
A meeting to avert a strike should be arranged at the drop of a hat. Its not as if this issue came out of the blue.

Ryanair have backed down again !
They have agreed to meet on Tuesday .
Union response awaited

In my 20s I worked in London with a weekly take home pay of £180. A flight home was £200.

Difficult enough for me a carefree singleton, there were thousands of middle aged labourers on similar money separated from their families by the cost of travel.

I dont know how Air Lingus pensioners sleep at night, given the human misery that paid for their cushy jobs and fat pensions.

Tony Ryan, Seamus Brennan and Michael O Leary changed all that.
I somewhat disagree with that - Ryanair originally were a full service pricey airline losing millions. They had a last throw of the dice and sent O'leary to texas to see what southwest were doing and if it could work here. They simply copied what southwest were doing - Ryans gave o'leary just 12 months to make it work. Frankly, the Ryan family were about to call it a day, but O'leary succeeded in turning it around very quickly.

So, yes, O'leary brought the low cost model to Ireland, but it would have come at some stage. - Maybe it meant 2-3 years earlier than it would have happened.

What o'leary did do was to refuse to allow unions ruin the business and base staff around a 9-5 Monday to Friday with overtime for every minute outside those hours and overnight stays in 4 star hotels. That meant massive cost savings which led to low fares and profits.

Unions don't have the power they used to and whilst o'leary will talk to them, he will give very little and will find plenty of ways to undermine them.

As for the aer lingus pensions - blame the unions that would have no issue closing an airline in pursuit of their greed.

Back