Ryanair Gift Voucher - will they extend expiry

Futurelookin

I got a voucher for €150 for my birthday last June with a 1 year expiry. I could book a flight for later in the year (for when?). Without knowing when normal service will resume have Ryanair extended the term of validity of their vouchers or should I book before June and just reschedule if air travel is not back to normal by the time I'm due to travel?

Interesting question. As the voucher was purchased before the change in the law, I'm not sure if the new five-year expiry rule applies. Perhaps existing vouchers were grandfathered in?

If I were devious (!), I might perhaps book a flight for €150 to somewhere for late April/early May and then wait for the inevitable cancellation and full refund...

Interesting question. As the voucher was purchased before the change in the law, I'm not sure if the new five-year expiry rule applies. Perhaps existing vouchers were grandfathered in?

If I were devious (!), I might perhaps book a flight for €150 to somewhere for late April/early May and then wait for the inevitable cancellation and full refund...
They might refund the purchaser and not me :eek:

I got a voucher for €150 for my birthday last June with a 1 year expiry. I could book a flight for later in the year (for when?). Without knowing when normal service will resume have Ryanair extended the term of validity of their vouchers or should I book before June and just reschedule if air travel is not back to normal by the time I'm due to travel?
I have vouchers that run out in December 2020. What happened with your vouchers?

I used my gift vouchers that were purchased in summer 2019 before Christmas. Flights then cancelled last Spring. I asked for cash back. They refused. Would only issue new gift vouchers in their place. The new vouchers issued to me, September 2020, only had a 4 month, use by date. I have contacted Ryanair about this and they have ignored my correspondence.

Referred to CCPC who are having a look at it.

I'm sure over the next 6 months there will be many people who's vouchers will be expiring and with the current situation I don't think many will be flying it them

I got a voucher for €150 for my birthday last June with a 1 year expiry.
If they were purchased June 2020 then they should have an expiry date of 5 years. New rules came in last December.

I accepted a voucher in June 2020 and the expiry date is May 21. So not bad really and it suits me.

I accepted a voucher in June 2020 and the expiry date is May 21. So not bad really and it suits me.
I would be interested to know when your flights were due to take place in 2020.

Was the airline voucher given with a one year expiry date from the date you purchased the flight tickets or from the date you were due to fly or from the date that they dealt with your claim?

Maybe the expiry date of May 21 is just a date picked at random?

My flight was for lat June 2020 . I rang just at the beginning of June and got the voucher which expires in May 21.

I have vouchers that run out in December 2020. What happened with your vouchers?
If they were purchased on or after 2nd December 2019 they must have a 5 year expiry date. Before December 2019 they will probably expire after one year. Depends on the company.

If they were purchased on or after 2nd December 2019 they must have a 5 year expiry date.

These vouchers are effectively credit notes, so the 5 year rule for gift vouchers won't apply. You link above covers this:
Credit noteIf you return an item to a store and receive a voucher or credit note, it is not considered a gift voucher under the legislation.Excluded

These vouchers are effectively credit notes, so the 5 year rule for gift vouchers won't apply. You link above covers this:
I assumed Mickey43 was referring to a gift voucher and not an airline voucher as he was replying to this comment "I got a voucher for €150 for my birthday last June with a 1 year expiry".

I assumed Mickey43 was referring to a gift voucher and not an airline voucher as he was replying to this comment "I got a voucher for €150 for my birthday last June with a 1 year expiry".

Actually yeah, not clear which type he was referring to, thread was started with gift vouchers, then not sure with Mickey43 and definitely credit note variety with joer.

Actually yeah, not clear which type he was referring to, thread was started with gift vouchers, then not sure with Mickey43 and definitely credit note variety with joer.
Just an update. The CCPC, after a bit of persuasion have agreed to investigate the way Ryanair are dealing with Gift Vouchers that were used to purchase flights, that were subsequently cancelled by Ryanair. Ryanair, in my case, only put a use by date of 4 months on new replacement gift vouchers. They appear to be putting one year on their Airline Vouchers (credit notes).
My point is that they should be issued with a 5 year expiry date on them.

I hope that a one year expiry date will be enough to get us back flying again but if it is not they will have to extend it again . So I do not see a problem really.

Just an update. The CCPC, after a bit of persuasion have agreed to investigate the way Ryanair are dealing with Gift Vouchers that were used to purchase flights, that were subsequently cancelled by Ryanair. Ryanair, in my case, only put a use by date of 4 months on new replacement gift vouchers. They appear to be putting one year on their Airline Vouchers (credit notes).
My point is that they should be issued with a 5 year expiry date on them.

Good to know, anyone who purchased a flight that was later cancelled with a gift voucher purchased as such since December 2019 should be refunded with a voucher of the same expiry as the gift card used to purchase them or later.

Back