Ryanair - checking in for flights

Daddy

Coming back from UK airport shortly and Ryanair's literature states passengers should check in no later than 2 hours prior to scheduled departure. Does this mean if I turn up 1 hour before departure that I may miss the flight or is this stated just to ensure people come in good time.
D'ont fly much so hence the question.

Thanks

They say that to get you there early, thus get the flight off on time. Check in will close 40 mins prior to departure - strictly enforced and no exceptions will be listened too. Given the increased security at airports these days i would make sure to be there in plenty of time though.

Last time I used them they were operating a system where passengers got numbers in the order in which they checked in, and the earlier checkers-in got on first to choose their seats. So if seat selection is important to you - window, aisle, front, back or whatever - then turn up early.

We're just back from a Ryanair flight and used their online checkin facility (hand baggage only), very handy, and as they are numbered we were among the first on the flight - I think they are pushing people to do the online checkin where possible, with the bonus of first choice of the seats.
The only other time I got 'priority' boarding was when a French air traffic controllers strike delayed our flight by a day, anyone who couldn't travel on that day was prioritised for the next day.

I used Ryanair online checkin for two flights on Friday. The only queue is for security, and then you can sit down until called, as online checkin passengers are boarded first. Ryanair emailed me twice after I'd already checked in, reminding me that online checkin was available to me -- slightly disconcerting!

If you do checkin online, print two copies of your boarding card and keep them separate and somewhere where they won't get mangled. There is a barcode that needs to be scanned before you can go through the security check. The scanners are a lot less tolerant than humans reading a reference number. My boarding card crumpled while trying to demonstrate that my jumbo hand luggage did fit (I'd measured it) into the current carryon limits in Stansted. When I finally got to the head of the security queue (about 30 minutes, though I wasn't timing it, so it could have been longer) it took three attempts to scan it successfully. If it hadn't scanned -- I would have to go back and checkin normally for the flight, pay Ryanair an extra fee for a standard boarding card, and rejoin the security queue. There's a good chance I would have missed my onward flight, despite having allowed close to three hours for the transfer.

Mugsgame,
why would you have to pay Ryan Air an extra fee for a boarding card if other did not work?

Because I damaged the online boarding card and it costs Ryanair time and money to print me a normal one, and they have a documented fee if you lose it!

As of 1st Nov, Ryanair are [broken link removed] for the online checkin option, which seems bizarre, given that it surely costs them less to process than a manual checkin. What next, a safe landing fee in lieu of a clap?

As of 1st Nov, Ryanair are [broken link removed] for the online checkin option, which seems bizarre, given that it surely costs them less to process than a manual checkin. What next, a safe landing fee in lieu of a clap?

What they'll probably start doing is that they will have one checkin desk (or the minimum allowed) open for each flight with each checkin agent working as slow as possible so that next time you'll think twice about not paying for the checkin online service.

Also the booking section has now changed, initally there is no option to select checkin 0 bags without priority boarding, so you are automatically charged 6 euro (3 euro e/w) for priority boarding, to select 0 bags with no priority boarding (ie no charge) you must selected 0 bags with priority boarding and then read the text beneath to see a link which removes priority boarding. It's all very inconvenient.

how do you do the online checkin? I have reserved flights for next June and would like to get on board first as we are travelling with 2 kids

There is a tab on Ryanair's homepage which gets you into the checkin. I think this can be done up to 4 hours in advance.

You don't really need to turn up at the airport 2 hours ahead of a flight, on hour would normally be ok but do allow more time during peak times

What they'll probably start doing is that they will have one checkin desk (or the minimum allowed) open for each flight with each checkin agent working as slow as possible so that next time you'll think twice about not paying for the checkin online service.

Also the booking section has now changed, initally there is no option to select checkin 0 bags without priority boarding, so you are automatically charged 6 euro (3 euro e/w) for priority boarding, to select 0 bags with no priority boarding (ie no charge) you must selected 0 bags with priority boarding and then read the text beneath to see a link which removes priority boarding. It's all very inconvenient.

Unbelieveable!!
A major backwards step. Is the online check-in tied to the priority boarding or can you select online check-in and then just do normal boarding?

I agree about the tactics they will probably use to 'encourage' people to pay for priority boarding.

Yes you now pay for online check in / priority boarding.

The way they did it initially was very underhand - when entering the passenger details you had to choose the number of bags to check in. If you just had hand luggage the only option to pick was "0 Online check in" and then €6 was added to the cost of the flight. If you then want to remove the online check in you had to click on another link to get it to remove the charge. Totally unacceptable the way this was implemented.

They seemed to have changed this now so there is an option for 0 bags without online check in.

I' trying to book flights for next Feb, and the online check in option for baggage is €9 (€4.50 each way) completely contradicting their advertised rate of €3 as provided on their website [broken link removed]
I also note they've dropped the weight restriction has dropped from 20kg (it was this for all of about 3 months) down to 15kg.

Now the flight is still about €120 cheaper then AL so no complaints there, but this looks suss...

I'm all clear now - [broken link removed] this is the charges, and it is €4.50 each way.

but you can't use online check in, so there's no extra charge there so you save €3 each way. This is all very odd!

I' trying to book flights for next Feb, and the online check in option for baggage is €9 (€4.50 each way) completely contradicting their advertised rate of €3 as provided on their website [broken link removed]

There is no online checkin/priority boarding available to those with baggage to check in. What your seeing is a 9 euro charge for one bag. If you have luggage to check in you MUST checkin at the desk and you won't be getting any priority.

Ryanair appears to be aiming at a strictly no luggage carrying airline.

i cant believe that they are now charging you to use online check in...those that use the service are saving the airline a fortune and are been charged for it!!!

Its the pits....i am an admirer of michael oleary but this is real sly mugs stuff.

Yesterday I booked a return flight with Ryanair with one bag to check in which increased the cost by €9.00. I couldn't figure out how an extra €5 was added to the total but after a bit of fiddling around I found that by using a credit card to pay (how else since I couldn't pay with a Laser debit card) an extra €5 was charged. So MO'L just doubles up on the c.c. fee even though it's a single transaction. That has to take the biscuit :(.Shouldn't it have been €2.50 as stated on their Table of Fees?

Credit Card Fee £1.75 €2.50
I wonder if Micko lies awake at night trying to figure out how to add an extra few euro to the price of a flight:D. Having had my gripe I have to admit that there was more flight-time choice with Ryanair than with the competitor and that was the deciding factor along with a 40% saving.

Have just discovered that it is possible to buy a Priority Boarding Pass for €3.00 each way - a link posted by ClubMan.
[broken link removed]

Back