Ryanair Cabin Baggage - 1 Bag only?

came back from berlin last week and bag was put into ryanair contraption to see if it was within their 'legal' limits, it was thanks to me buying a new one the previous week, my normal bag which was never checked would have been too big

You'll find weight of the bag when empty will become more important these days. No point having an allowance of 6kg with say Aer Lingus if your bag already weights 2kg empty. Ryanair's allowance is more generous - 10 kg I think which for a family of 5 is 50kgs. Now family needs 50kg of cloths etc for a short holiday?

flying from hamburg back to ireland... they weighed by baggage and made sure it fitted etc.. bottom line.. seems to depend on the airport but better safe than sorry

If it was the Ryanair Hamburg/Lubeck airport we also encountered gruff staff. Male security frisking female passengers also.

Though some posters seem to enjoy 'playing chicken' with Ryanair I don't recommend it. As a frequent flyer with this airline my experience is that the individual who gets through with a piece of cabbin-baggage that is slightly larger than the 'frame', or over 10KG, or gets checked-in baggage through with anything over 15K, is the exception. Ryanair are explicit about their terms of sale of their tickets and you risk missing your flight, or paying an additional very high surcharge on over-the-weight-limit luggage.

In the case of medical devices or equipment of any kind, the account of the poster whose child was diabetic does not ring true. Most airlines - and I don't think Ryanair is an exception - allow transport of necessary medical equipment additional to the weight of ordinary luggage. A friend of mine who suffers from sleep apnoia and heart-fibrillation and needs to take his CPAP machine when he travels has never - anywhere or with any airline - been required to include it in the allowed weights. You should check on Ryanair's website.

The issue of maximum sizes of liquids - in cosmetics, drinks etc. - is nothing to do with Ryanair. This is the current state of high alert in terms of security at airports and is operated by the relevant airport authority. On a flight from Stanstead to Madrid a few weeks ago my sunscreen and after-sun treatment lotion were taken by the people on the scanner. Whilst this was extremely inconvenient (I had got badly sun burned working on my allotment the previous few days) and expensive (about €40 worth of products were confiscated, and it subsequently cost me a further €30 to replace them when I reached Toledo as they were a necessary 'treatment') I have to own up to the responsibility being entirely my own. The screen and lotion were in my washbag which was originally in my main - checked-in - case. However it weighed in at slightly over 15KG and I hastily took out the wash-bag and put it into my hand-luggage instead. Of course you can bring any amount of fluids by air so long as they are in secured checked-in luggage but NOT in cabin-baggage.

I have now purchased a gadget for weighing luggage so won't need to 'guesstimate' in future. Rules is rules!!! ;)

In the case of medical devices or equipment of any kind, the account of the poster whose child was diabetic does not ring true

Just saw your post MARIE and I can assure you it was most definitely TRUE. The member off staff was extremely rude and would not hear any argument that the second bag was necessary as our child was diabetic, she kept repeating the mantra "Its ryanair,what do you expect!"

Back