Ryanair Cabin Baggage - 1 Bag only?

nod

We're flying to France later today with ryanair and I've noticed from their emails that they say strictly only 1 cabin bag will be allowed per person. Have you travelled lately with them and is this being enforced,in the past there wasn't a problem with bring a second smaller bag,we have 3 kids so a smaller back is almost essential!

I flew to Bristol with them recently. On the way out, they weren't really enforcing it. On the way back though they were very strict. One bag only, and it had to fit in the measuring rack thingie.

I flew to Bristol with them recently. On the way out, they weren't really enforcing it. On the way back though they were very strict. One bag only, and it had to fit in the measuring rack thingie.

Same here, flew at weekend no problems out of Ireland coming back from Manchester very strict on weight and bag size, handbag had to be put into trolley case and then weighed.

However I did notice most children on board had little rucksacks so perhaps get one of the little ones to put one of these on the back.

Last edited:
This might be totally stupid but if the kids are flying I assume they have a seat so I assume you can give them a hand bag to carry each?

yes they are gone very strict even ladies hand bags now are considered your one piece of luggage and if you cant fit it into the bigger bag you are carrying they will make you check it in at a much greater cost. It happened to a friend that bought perfume at airport she couldn't fit everything in to one bag so ended up having to check in a bag turned out to be an expensive flight.

I flew with them about 4-5 weeks back. They went around to everyone as we were waiting to board to say only 1 hand luggage only. This including a handbag. I was lucky that i was able to fit my handbag into my rucksack that i had.

Another girl wasn't so lucky her handbag was like a rucksack. Only saving grace was she was with 2 other girls and they had to split everything in her bag between them, they only just managed. It was amusing to watch!!

Are you giving the kids hand luggage as well? Stuff in as much as you can into their rucksacks as well.

Thanks for replies guys
The 3 kids have 1 cabin bag each,their well used to travelling this way.
One of them is a diabetic and constantly needs a sugary drink,food,insulin,etc. with her so hopefully they wont be too strict on us having a small bag for her

It doesn't have to be a small bag, the kids are entitled to the same as you, if you have purchased them a seat of their own.

Just stand behind the smallest kid with the bag so that he/she doesn't fall back with the weight of it haha

definitely enforced by ryanair staff. I find the best thing to do is pack your handbag with magazine, water, phone etc in your main bag and when you get into cabin, just take out the handbag and put the main bag up. Once you're on, its not an issue.

Agree with all the above - flew from Girona and saw that they were examining the hand luggage. Joke was that most of it was of the small suitcase variety and I ended up stuffing my two bottles of airport spirits into my shoulder bag to the point where it looked comically overloaded.

Baggage thing with Ryanair is starting to become a monumental pain and a vicious expense. With a frequent need to travel to family abroad, I'm looking into the concept of shipping things instead. Anyone had any experience of this?

And dont forget the cost = €30 per additional bag even a hand-bag. And the brainwashed Ryanair staff must be on commission as they rigorously enforce the 'bag' law.

yup they are very strict.a guy would walk around before people get on the flight and check to make sure there bag is the right size and if it looks a little bigger then you have to put it in the cage to check it fits.all duty free and small hand bags have to be put into your hand luggage.i read a few weeks back(dont think it was ryan airtho)that a child didnt want to part with her teddy(put into parents hand luggage)so she wasnt able to get on the flight by carrying it :( so the airline post it back to her home.

Was in Milan last week and brought handbag plus cabin on board both ways, no questions asked.
While waiting to board at Milan we were deafened by the announcement every 3 minutes. "One piece of cabin luggage only' but I actually forgot to transfer my handbag into my cabin bag and nothing happened.

Thanks for replies guys
The 3 kids have 1 cabin bag each,their well used to travelling this way.
One of them is a diabetic and constantly needs a sugary drink,food,insulin,etc. with her so hopefully they wont be too strict on us having a small bag for her

Just make sure any bottles are under 100ml.

We had a 200mm bottle of suntan lotion taken from us - by security check, not Ryanair - mebbee I should have poured 100ml out and asked would that do...

<sheesh!>

My own fault BTW - we knew the regulations, but at the last minute I repacked the bags to get each one under 15Kg and I moved some stuff into my hand lugage where the 100ml limit applies.

Dunno why her nibs bought them in the first place - the stuff was a lot cheaper over there than here. Oh well...

ONQ

It doesn't have to be a small bag, the kids are entitled to the same as you, if you have purchased them a seat of their own.

Just stand behind the smallest kid with the bag so that he/she doesn't fall back with the weight of it haha

There's a 10Kg limit for the cabin luggage.

And yes, climbing the steps into the plane needs a little choreography.

ONQ

Hi all,just back from France and our initial fears were well founded! Each child had a cabin bag but we had an extra very small bag for the diabetic child containing insulin,blood glucose meter an a sugary drink. Under no circuimstances would they allow the smaller bag even though we had a letter from our doctor stating she should be allowed to carry the above on board.
We protested but to no avail and the arrogant "lady" just kept saying "its Ryanair,what do you expect". We stuffed the items somehow into one of the bags and immediately retreived them inside the plane.

Returned from Nantes this morning and had no problem with extra small bag,many people had 2 bags.

flew recently to girona - no hassle. flew from girona to hamburg - less hassle. flying from hamburg back to ireland... they weighed by baggage and made sure it fitted etc.. bottom line.. seems to depend on the airport but better safe than sorry

Travelled back with Ryanair from Faro this week. While waiting to check in, I brought our 2 suitcases to a empty Thompson check-in and asked the guy there could I weigh the cases. One of them was 14.8 kgs while the other was over the 15kg limit.

I moved some clothes from the heavier case to the other one before we checked in. When the 14.8kg case was eventually placed on the Ryanair scales, it only showed up at 14.2kgs even with the extra few items of clothes !!

The combined weight of the cases came to 31.4 kgs but the check-in guy didn't bat an eye. Maybe he was coming to the end of his shift.

Back