Russian Foreign Policy

I agree that we should have given Ukraine anything we have that they could use.
Yea, money to buy weapons. That's what they asked for, but we are neutral in the fact of evil. In fairness we are consistent.

There's a well worn diktat “there is no such thing as friendly intelligence agencies, there are only intelligence agencies of friendly powers”. Same goes in matters of national security. No alliance precludes actions against those you are in an alliance with. Fundamentally, you need your own capability and your own information in order to make any assessments. Relying on friendly forces is grand for training, ad hoc logistics etc. For 'tip of the spear' stuff you need absolute and total control.

I wonder how will SF propose to manage the withdrawal of the NATO umbrella from a lot of British and Irish citizens?

I think the fact that the recent nuclear simulation by russian tv explicitely showed ireland being engulfed by a wave and that the Russian navy carried out exercises close to our coast right before the Ukraine invasion shows that we are in fact in their crosshairs and they see us as a vulnerability.
Of course the british and US must have already picked up on this change in approach, the US multinationals with alot of capital now invested here might start looking for more guarantees about our defence capabilities. Could the Russians look to target US tech companies here especially the likes of Intel that manufacture the microchips that are vital for most electronic devices including high tech armaments.

I think the fact that the recent nuclear simulation by russian tv explicitely showed ireland being engulfed by a wave and that the Russian navy carried out exercises close to our coast right before the Ukraine invasion shows that we are in fact in their crosshairs and they see us as a vulnerability.
Absolutely.

Of course the british and US must have already picked up on this change in approach, the US multinationals with alot of capital now invested here might start looking for more guarantees about our defence capabilities.
There are absolutely no guarantees we could conceivably offer. Zero. We don't have the ability to carry out even basic detection and observation of hostile forces, yet alone engage them militarily.

Could the Russians look to target US tech companies here especially the likes of Intel that manufacture the microchips that are vital for most electronic devices including high tech armaments.
With over 30 odd "diplomats" accredited to the FSB operation in Orwell Road, you think they aren't already targeting those companies?

No, it shows us as entirely inconsequential. That graphic was a warning shot to the UK.

No, it shows us as entirely inconsequential. That graphic was a warning shot to the UK.
It shows that we are beside the guys in the crosshairs. We're acceptable collateral damage. We're as important as the guy who was couch surfing in Osama's gaff when the SEAL's went in.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo
Of course that's true but it also shows that we are the weak spot if they want to get at Britain.
There must be quite pressure from the US and UK to start getting our house in order. The luxury of being neutral while enjoying the defence umbrella from big brothers while not contributing to that umbrella ourselves is well and truly over.
It is significant that suddenly Simon Coveney wants to increase the defence force numbers by 3000. For the last 2 decades we have been allowing them to fall now a sudden change in approach.

“SKY News” said:
Mark Ayres has spent the past two months in Ukraine after joining the Azov Regiment, which originated as a far-right paramilitary unit. The British Army veteran insists he has challenged some Azov fighters over their beliefs and those he has met are not "monsters and psychos".
Of course they’re monsters and psychos. I do get a tad worried that we are getting a very biased slant on the Russian operation.
BTW Hitler’s grandfather was a Jew.

But, but, but, surely our precious, cherished and beloved neutrality will protect us from all harm. Someone should really explain it to that chap on the video and make sure to tell that nice Mr Putin also. Maybe Ming-n-Mick-n-Claire could have a word with their pals in Moscow. We'll be grand then. Apparently radioactive fallout respects neutrality too and will automatically avoid us. Happy days!
No not neutrality any more. It seems we are too mature for that now. In future Simon and 100 boy scouts will give us all the protection we need.

jo sod said "I think the fact that the recent nuclear simulation by russian tv explicitely showed ireland being engulfed by a wave and that the Russian navy carried out exercises close to our coast right before the Ukraine invasion shows that we are in fact in their crosshairs and they see us as a vulnerability",j
doesnt need a nuclear torpedo just a simple nuclear naval mine rolled off the back of a ship like the one delivering oil from russia . as i said in previous thread we have always been in the russian crosshairs a first strike to prevent nato from ever using our airports and sea ports to help resupply nato units or watch russian navy movements ?

as i said in previous thread we have always been in the russian crosshairs a first strike to prevent nato from ever using our airports and sea ports to help resupply nato units
Why on earth would they see us as any kind of threat? To think that NATO would need any of our infrastructure makes no sense, there is literally nothing to be gained militarily from parking all your kit on an unprotected island only to have to move it on again. Why would Ireland be a better landing spot that any number of better protected mainland Europe and have direct rail and road access all the way to Moscow.

In a NATO Russia conflict, Ireland offers no strategic location benefits to NATO and no threat whatsoever to Russia. In the event of conflict breaking out, striking Ireland would be like trying to swat a fly while you have three lads punching you in the face.

just a simple nuclear naval mine rolled off the back of a ship like the one delivering oil from russia
First of all, Russia don't have such a weapon, and second, why would they go to all that bother when they could just press a button in a far off control room? They'd be relying on something substantial coming into contact with a mine for detonation. Besides that, trying to roll a mine off the back of a tanker is a sure fire recipe for disaster.

or watch russian navy movements ?
Naval movements are observed from space, you don't need a lad standing on a cliff with binoculars to see what's going on.

Tom Clonan in The Journal:

The Kremlin celebrated Victory Day in Moscow. All eyes were on Putin as it was expected he might announce a major development in his ‘special military operation’ in Donbas. Pessimists feared that he might announce a general mobilisation of Russia’s entire military machine, calling up all reservists across the country and to declare a full scale war on Ukraine. Other, more optimistic commentators, hoped that Putin might announce a ‘victory’ of sorts in the war, with the prospect perhaps of accelerated peace talks and a face-saving pause in military operations. Neither has happened. The war grinds on.

Good summary of current situation...

Ukranians holding Kharkiv.
US intel warns of long war and Russian plan to cut Ukraine off from sea, seize Odessa and link with Moldova separatists.

Back