Russian Foreign Policy

DarthPutinKGB ...

"Day 44 of my 3 day war. My offensive in east Ukraine will succeed by using exact same tactics that lead to our victorious defeat at Kiev. I remain a master strategist."

This is a really important question. Fortunately, the answer is relatively clear...

It's obvious from those ratios that the primary purpose of those drone strikes was NOT to inflict civilian casualties. If it was the civilian death toll would be much higher.
This is equivocating in the face of dead children and you should be ashamed.

Trouble is, where do you draw a line on this. ?

For example, Obama's USA carried out over 1800 drone strikes and depending on what report you read, between 100 and 900 civilians were killed. Trump upped the ante and had carried out over 2000 drone strikes in his first 2 years, Biden's airforce has bombed a wedding. I guess the only positive thing to say there is that at least the US for the most parts owns up.

Bashir has used poison gas, Yemen is being systematically destroyed in a war funded by a country that, amongst other things, part owns Disney. Ethiopia is buying weapons from Turkey to use in the Tigray civil war, the list goes on and on and on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not underplaying Ukraine and it is more relevant to us since as Europeans, it is on our doorstep. However sadly, it is far from unique.

Trouble is, where do you draw a line on this. ?
For me the first place to look, if not draw a line is at the actions of 'our side'. It is easy to see the mote in the eye of the other.

The attack on Iraq was launched by The US, the UK, Australia and Poland. These are countries with which we have much in common, where our young people travel to live and work. Whose politicians often boast of their Irish Heritage. We allowed US planes to refuel in Shannon on their way to bomb Iraq.

These are 'our side' in a way that Russia is not. Calling out the abominations off Russia is easy, but hypocritical from a country that didn't protest when our side was bombing civilians.

But hey lets join NATO

This is equivocating in the face of dead children and you should be ashamed.
Absolutely not. I doubt if there ever has been a war that didn't result in dead children. That doesn't mean that all wars are equally moral/immoral because they (almost inevitably) kill children. There is a world of difference between the deliberate targeting of civilians that we've seen from Russia in recent weeks, and drone strikes on military targets that may also - as an unintended effect - kill small numbers of civilians.

One approach seeks to maximize civilian casualties as a deliberate, intimidatory tactic of war. The other seeks to minimize civilian casualties. (Admittedly, perhaps with an eye on PR but still a huge difference.)

Absolutely not. I doubt if there ever has been a war that didn't result in dead children. That doesn't mean that all wars are equally moral/immoral because they (almost inevitably) kill children. There is a world of difference between the deliberate targeting of civilians that we've seen from Russia in recent weeks, and drone strikes on military targets that may also - as an unintended effect - kill small numbers of civilians.

One approach seeks to maximize civilian casualties as a deliberate, intimidatory tactic of war. The other seeks to minimize civilian casualties. (Admittedly, perhaps with an eye on PR but still a huge difference.)
The Allies killed 60,000 French civilians during the Second World War. They were not targeting civilians. If they were targeting civilians then the 600,000 tonnes of bombs they dropped would have been dropped on different targets.

American Friendly Fire killed more British troops during the First Gulf War than the Iraqis did. That was not the intention of the Americans. The net effect was almost certainly fewer British deaths as Americas overwhelming firepower shortened the war considerably.

Last edited:
Calling out the abominations off Russia is easy, but hypocritical from a country that didn't protest when our side was bombing civilians.
They were not bombing civilians. Civilians were killed when they were bombing other primary targets.
There were certainly incidents where civilians were killed by accident. The Haska Meyna incident in 2008 in which 3 American bombs killed 47 members of a wedding party, including the bride and a large number of children, sticks in my memory.

For me the first place to look, if not draw a line is at the actions of 'our side'. It is easy to see the mote in the eye of the other.

The attack on Iraq was launched by The US, the UK, Australia and Poland. These are countries with which we have much in common, where our young people travel to live and work. Whose politicians often boast of their Irish Heritage. We allowed US planes to refuel in Shannon on their way to bomb Iraq.

These are 'our side' in a way that Russia is not. Calling out the abominations off Russia is easy, but hypocritical from a country that didn't protest when our side was bombing civilians.

But hey lets join NATO

Certainly, the impotent are pure.

Remember at the start of this war putin tried to justify it by saying that ukraine was not a real nation and was really part of russia. He blamed the bolsheviks and Lenin for giving ukraine statehood . In fact he blamed a lot of things that he didn't like on the communists. However what he seemed to overlook is how would this dissing of Lenin and communism be received in China.
I doubt the Chinese are too impressed with that seen as communism and Lenin are still the basis of the Chinese system . Didn't they used to have the infamous communist banners featuring Mao, marx and Lenin?
Putin so consumed in his imperialist justification never thought about that

The U.S. has given #Ukraine 7,000 Javelin ATGMs in recent months -- which is 1/3 of the entire American stock & will take 1+yr to replace. Also 2,000 Stingers -- 1/4 of the U.S. inventory, which'll take 5yrs to replace. Is this supply sustainable?

Surely production can be ramped up rapidly. It must have occurred to both the military, and their suppliers, that a war would deplete stocks and that urgent replacements would be required.

Surely production can be ramped up rapidly. It must have occurred to both the military, and their suppliers, that a war would deplete stocks and that urgent replacements would be required.
Every precision engineering company and PCB manufacturer in the world is extremely busy, raw materials are in short supply and international supply chains are still severely disrupted since Covid. The US can commandeer whatever resources they need internally in times of war but they aren't at war. I'm sure they can ramp up production but it won't be easy or fast.

Yes but let's hope it doesn't get stuck in bureaucratic \ supply chain limbo

Yes but let's hope it doesn't get stuck in bureaucratic \ supply chain limbo

A supplier is not going to drop existing customers with whom they have long term relationship and revenue streams in order to facilitate one-off orders. Not only would it be bad business but it would be unethical.

Every precision engineering company and PCB manufacturer in the world is extremely busy, raw materials are in short supply and international supply chains are still severely disrupted since Covid. The US can commandeer whatever resources they need internally in times of war but they aren't at war. I'm sure they can ramp up production but it won't be easy or fast.
and guess where a lot of standard components (such as chips) are made, China !

All the big US defence contractors manufacture their own components. For 'sensitive' military equipment, suppliers must use accredited foundries, all of which are on-shore in the US.
I guess we can rely on the good old "military-industrial complex" to be well on top of that! Grist to their mill, and just as well too.

I guess we can rely on the good old "military-industrial complex" to be well on top of that! Grist to their mill, and just as well too.
Unfortunately they rely on a vast web of subcontractors who also supply industrial, medical and consumer customers. As they are currently operating at capacity then it will mean less medical equipment or other products being manufactured.

Without additional weaponry, this war will become an endless bloodbath, spreading misery, suffering, and destruction. Mariupol, Bucha, Kramatorsk – the list will be continued. Nobody will stop Russia except Ukraine with Heavy Weapons.

Zelenskyy's tweet today. For a neutrality denier this a hard watch. We have weapons and ammunition expiring. It's like having a neighbour go through a famine and we are watching our food reserve slowly go bad.

Last edited:

Zelenskyy's tweet today. For a neutrality denier this a hard watch. We have weapons and ammunition expiring. It's like having a neighbour go through a famine and we are watching our food reserve slowly go bad.
Yes, but we've taken in a few Ukrainians, just look at all the feel-good "sure aren't we great and sure making tea is just the same as fighting or giving them what they actually need" stories on RTE.
It's usually only the teachers who have to tell everyone how great they are all the time but now it's becoming a national pastime. Maybe if we congratulate ourselves loudly enough we won't hear the voice in the back of our mind pointing out our hypocrisy and moral vacuousness.

Other countries are sending their weapons and taking in vast amounts of refugees. We're moaning about the government not giving us sweeties to insulate us from the economic effects of a war between totalitarianism and freedom which is being fought on our doorstep.

Back