Russian Foreign Policy

Given that's my opinion and view, it's very much an answer. Now if you'd like to disagree with any of what Greenwald raised, you could do so if you wanted to....or you can just denigrate it without going into it at all. Whatever works.
I am familiar with Glen Greenwald’s career and writings over the years.

If assume you had a reason for posting a link to one of his works and therefore it is not unreasonable to question why you think it is valuable.

The link you posted is blocked by my computer. Can you give a summary?

Of course there is a long history in the region and Ukraine is far from a liberal Western society (though that is what they are trying to be) but what matters is that a dictator has used his army to invade another country in an attempt to remove their democratically elected government, the democratic rights of its citizens and their fundamental rights as laid out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It's a god read if for any reason you are unsure who the good guys and bad guys are here.
Try this alternate link here instead.
I'm well aware who the good and bad guys are here - there aren't any (albeit some are likely to be worse than others).

If assume you had a reason for posting a link to one of his works and therefore it is not unreasonable to question why you think it is valuable.
I did - and I stated what it was - i.e. that Greenwald puts across a completely different point of view - which I'd suggest that this thread is most definitely lacking. You asked the question - I gave you an answer. I don't want to single out any one part of it - because Greenwald's take in its entirety is relevant as far as I'm concerned and anyone that is approaching this from a polar opposite point of view should give themselves the opportunity to tune into a completely different take. It's healthy in terms of coming to a more balanced and better formed view.
By the same token as the point you made, you too could expand on why he says 'nothing' in that piece. I can't fathom how anyone could come to that conclusion. I can understand if someone simply didn't agree with any of the points he made but he most certainly isn't saying nothing.

Get on to your IT guys fella, it's a reputable site
Relevance? Glen Greenwald is a highly regarded journalist. Zerohedge has re-published his substack article. Your views on Zerohedge are entirely beside the point.

Hi tecate,

Just in case you missed my earlier question (post #439), as I see you've subsequently posted in this thread :

Do you think the Russian actions in Ukraine are in anyway justified?

Firefly.

Do you think the Russian actions in Ukraine are in anyway justified?
I believe that these things are far more complex than a determination of good guys and bad guys - because this sort of thing is filthy - and you can be sure that there are no good guys in this (albeit that's not what the mass media is churning out). In this context, I'd roll in right behind this from Greenwald:
"Instead, the emotions deliberately stoked by the relentless media attention to the horrors of this war — horrors which, contrary to the West's media propaganda, are common to all wars, including its own"

Yemen, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan? I'd say the narrative has been bent quite differently - and that's what Greenwald is alluding to.

I'd also consider Greenwald's consideration of US meddling in Ukraine circa 2014 as highly relevant to what happened back then and what is happening now.

No side is going to tell the truth here - and to listen to just one side of it is a mistake in my view. However, I'm sure the guys at Northrop and Lockheed aren't all too unhappy. They had a gap in scheduling after the curtain came down on the crap-show in Afghanistan.

I believe that these things are far more complex than a determination of good guys and bad guys - because this sort of thing is filthy - and you can be sure that there are no good guys in this (albeit that's not what the mass media is churning out). In this context, I'd roll in right behind this from Greenwald:
"Instead, the emotions deliberately stoked by the relentless media attention to the horrors of this war — horrors which, contrary to the West's media propaganda, are common to all wars, including its own"

Yemen, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan? I'd say the narritive has been bent quite differently - and that's what Greenwald is aluding to.

I'd also consider Greenwald's consideration of US meddling in Ukraine circa 2014 as highly relevant to what happened back then and what is happening now.

No side is going to tell the truth here - and to listen to just one side of it is a mistake in my view. However, I'm sure the guys at Northrop and Lockheed aren't all too unhappy. They had a gap in scheduling after the curtain came down on the crap-show in Afghanistan.
Thanks for that, but it's not the question I asked. The question is "Do you think the Russian actions in Ukraine are in anyway justified?" I would expect something along the lines of "Yes, because.." or "No, because.."

Thanks for that, but it's not the question I asked. The question is "Do you think the Russian actions in Ukraine are in anyway justified?" I would expect something along the lines of "Yes, because.." or "No, because.."
Again, I've given you my answer. You might 'expect' a yes or no answer but the answer is mine to give - not yours. There's greater complexity in all of this than the mass media is portraying.

When we read the truth that @tecate has helpfully brought to us one of the really frightening things is how the World has been duped by the US. I don't know the numbers off hand but something like 130 nations supported the UN motion condemning the Russian special operation, 30 abstained and only a handful like Belarus had the wisdom of @tecate to see through the wickedness of the West with its corrupt central bankers etc.

When we read the truth that @tecate has helpfully brought to us one of the really frightening things is how the World has been duped by the US. I don't know the numbers off hand but something like 130 nations supported the UN motion condemning the Russian special operation, 30 abstained and only a handful like Belarus had the wisdom of @tecate to see through the wickedness of the West with its corrupt central bankers etc.
Yes, stick to the simple narratives and talking points that you're being drip fed Duke if that makes it easier for you to digest. I mean, I would expect that some would welcome a consideration of a more nuanced view - although most definitely the majority don't want to step out of simple narratives - that's an inconvenience.
You could have taken another approach altogether - which is to consider the many counter-points that Greenwald makes and engage positively with that (although nobody else has either) - and thus the subject - rather than find fault with me - but that would have been an optimistic expectation on my part.

Last edited:
@tecate according to Greenwald I am having my nose shoved in the trough rather than being drip fed. There was no nuance whatsoever in his piece. Clearly he agrees with Belarus, NK, Eritrea, and Syria, the only countries at the UN to back Russia's special operation. Even El Salvador abstained and god knows they're a basket case.
I like how in our society contrarians are not officially repressed but I do despise a certain constituency who bask in their contrarian theories as evidence of how much more enlightened they are than the rest of us gullible plebs.

@tecate according to Greenwald I am having my nose shoved in the trough rather than being drip fed. There was no nuance whatsoever in his piece. Clearly he agrees with Belarus, NK, Eritrea, and Syria, the only countries at the UN to back Russia's special operation.
You must have read a different article to the one I did. Where does he say that he agrees with Belarus, etc?

I like how in our society contrarians are not officially repressed but I do despise a certain constituency who bask in their contrarian theories as evidence of how much more enlightened they are than the rest of us gullible plebs.
You mean your theories and theories contrary to your views where participants won't acknowledge the possiblity that they might be wrong - however unlikely they find that? Those ninconpoops? I agree entirely - albeit I don't 'despise' them - I just think its very unfortunate that they don't afford the opportunity to open their minds to other possibilities and outcomes. Wouldn't make sense to despise someone disadvantaging themself. I don't despise them although I am curious about the mindset that belies such an approach.

Last edited:
And so could you.
Perhaps you would let us have the benefit of your perspicacity rather than citing complexity as an excuse not to explain.
There's no need. I don't need to pick out single points from his article - it, in its entirety - makes a lot of sense to me. Therefore, if you'd like to comment on any of what he had to say, have at it. That was the whole point of posting the article - because I thought his perspective is interesting - and adds something completely different to the discussion.

Says it all
Indeed it does. It clearly demonstrates that all the views that Greenwald has expressed in that thoughtful piece - and which I have said to my mind/in my opinion make sense to me - you are not inclined to comment on - because I won't pick out single points from his article.

That does indeed say it all.

You must have read a different article to the one I did. Where does he say that he agrees with Belarus, etc?
Did I read wrongly, but was it not this enlightened view that the US or in particular the Democrats stirred this all up out of revenge for losing the 2016 election and now want it to drag on.
At least you will have to hand it to the US that they do accommodate the alternative view, The Donald is a real Russiaphile who thinks Putin is a "really smart guy". The alternative view in Russia seems to involve 15 years in prison, if you're lucky to survive a poisoning.

Indeed it does. It clearly demonstrates that all the views that Greenwald has expressed in that thoughtful piece - and which I have said to my mind/in my opinion make sense to me - you are not inclined to comment on - because I won't pick out single points from his article.

That does indeed say it all.
The other alternative view is that he spouts so much nonsense and twists and distorts language and words trying to argue against his points is like trying to pin jellyfish to a wall.

This is the same guy who declared there would be no invasion of Ukraine... that the US would distort reports of Russian military activity to turn it into an invasion. When is an invasion not a real invasion?

So remind me... has Ukraine been invaded? Come on.

Who spreads false rumours about bio weapons.

How do you respond to someone who talks about "mandated consensus,” “united trans-ideological consensus,”
Except to say the emperor has no clothes?

He has no credibility.

It clearly demonstrates that all the views that Greenwald has expressed in that thoughtful piece - and which I have said to my mind/in my opinion make sense to me
His representation of the Ukraine war concentrates exclusively on his particular view of US politics and its media.

Perhaps he should, like other journalists, bother to travel to Ukraine and report the Ukrainian viewpoint which might open his mind to "other possibilities and outcomes".

Back