RTE1 on screen message re 14th August07

Very strange - I'd have many complaints about the ASAI, but I'm never found them not to include upheld complaints in their bulletin.
Well that's what happened. Believe me or not as you choose but I have documentary evidence to support my claim if you're interested.
No. Because the goods in this case can only be judged on the basis of a brief description in a catalog and cannot easily/normally be inspected/examined/evaluated before purchase. In contrast a T shirt in a retail store can normally be handled, examined and tried on even if there are no changing rooms.

No - read my post above and tell me how returning the item under the Argos returns policy is not ethical.

So do you believe that if I explained to the girl (generally girls in argos) at the counter when buying an item that I intended to use it once then return it, she (or her manager) would be happy to proceed with the sale? I'm not convinced that this falls under the 'for one reason or another' mentioned below:

We're committed to selling high-quality products we hope you'll enjoy using but we also know that, for one reason or another, there may be a time when you need to exchange or return something you've bought.

Well that's what happened. Believe me or not as you choose but I have documentary evidence to support my claim if you're interested.
Feel free to post a copy of the documentation, if you see fit.
No. Because the goods in this case can only be judged on the basis of a brief description in a catalog and cannot easily/normally be inspected/examined/evaluated before purchase. In contrast a T shirt in a retail store can normally be handled, examined and tried on even if there are no changing rooms.
A t-shirt can't be tried on if it is being purchased for someone else (as was clearly indicated on the other thread) and the someone else is not present at the time.

Feel free to post a copy of the documentation, if you see fit.
I don't own a scanner. Post your address if you want me to sent you photocopies.
A t-shirt can't be tried on if it is being purchased for someone else (as was clearly indicated on the other thread) and the someone else is not present at the time.
It can be tried on by somebody of a similar size/build.

This sounds like it's going the wrong way.
I'm sure if ClubMan did something wrong (whether illegal or unethical) Argos would have mentioned it.
Besides, would they not tend to be more forceful on imposing their policys on more expensive items?

This bit.
This sounds like it's going the wrong way.
I just checked and I cannot locate documentary evidence of the replies that I received from Argos and the ASAI that I received in relation to my complaint so unfortunately I cannot prove to those who remain skeptical that I actually received same, that Argos apologised and admitted their error and that the ASAI upheld my complaint even if they did not publish it in their quarterly (?) bulletin. I must have disposed of the documentation during a recent clear out. I may be able to figure out what model of cordless phones which were in question at the time if anybody is actually still curious and this information might reassure them.

I just checked and I cannot locate documentary evidence of the replies that I received from Argos and the ASAI that I received in relation to my complaint so unfortunately I cannot prove to those who remain skeptical that I actually received same, that Argos apologised and admitted their error and that the ASAI upheld my complaint even if they did not publish it in their quarterly (?) bulletin.
No problem.
It can be tried on by somebody of a similar size/build.
Not effectively, it can't - Fit of clothes is a very individual matter, and we are all individuals, with our own unique bumps & curves.

But I do detect a certain double standard here. You now suggest that the appropriate approach for purchasing a t-shirt is to ensure that the purchaser first has to find somebody of a similar size and build and bring them to the t-shirt shop when making the purchase. Otherwise, "don't buy".

Yet when you are purchasing a mobile phone from Argos (which has a 'unused' qualifier in their returns policy), you feel it is OK for you to bring the phone home and use it before returning it. Couldn't you have got the Argos person to open the box, set it up in the store, plug it into one of their phone connections and check it out? Couldn't you have checked out the product features online or via the manufacturer before purchase?

Why doesn't the same standard that you apply to the t-shirt purchase apply to your own phone purchase?

Any chance we might come back to my original question here. Also can anybody tell me if I purchase a Phillips remote control am I guaranteed that it will work on any Phillips TV.

Yet when you are purchasing a mobile phone from Argos (which has a 'unused' qualifier in their returns policy), you feel it is OK for you to bring the phone home and use it before returning it.
Read my posts - I never said anything about mobile phones. Anyway - this "conversation" is a bit boring so I'll give it a miss now.
Any chance we might come back to my original question here. Also can anybody tell me if I purchase a Phillips remote control am I guaranteed that it will work on any Phillips TV.
No. You need to get one that is guaranteed to work with your specific TV. Many universal ones will do this. See for example (there are others). Some of these are available for purchase from stores such as Argos. Always read the terms & conditions when buying. Don't do anything naughty.

the old trick of buying an item, wearing it (e.g. to wedding etc) and returning for a refund - hardly ethical, and am quite surprised that a moderator would suggest it...
never heard this one. Im struggling to come up with an item one get away with wearing to a wedding and be then able to bring it back in an unused state for a refund.
If you were very well behaved, maybe a tie or a belt, maybe even a watch or a necklace, but thats gotta be it, what else could there be?

Back