RTE1 on screen message re 14th August07

Happy Girl

The onscreen message on RTE1 at the moment states that transmission will cease on that frequency on 14th August and to retune to another frequency. My problem is what when I consulted my TV (phillips) manual the instructions given to tune my TV stations in are only by way of the original TV remote control which I no longer have. The remote I currently use will not do the trick as it will only change channels. What alternatives do I have. I can retune the VCR and DVD player. My problems lies with the telly.

I can retune the VCR and DVD player. My problems lies with the telly.
I don't know if you could tune the TV without buying a replacement Remote.

What you might be able to do as a temporary solution is, re-tune the VCR on the 14th and connect the VCR to your TV via RF or Scart Lead. (i.e. - Put your aerial into the VCR then plug VCR into TV)

I don't know if you could tune the TV without buying a replacement Remote.
It's possible that you could get one in Argos - try it out and then return it within the 16 day period because it's not actually what you wanted. ;)

Doesn't the Argos return policy only apply to unused goods now?
That's what I was thinking...look

moneysavingexper.com said:
If you buy something from Argos then change your mind you can return an 'Unfaulty' and 'unexcluded' item to any Argos store for a refund under the following terms of the 16 guarantee - which is in addition to your statutory rights:

1) You must return it within 16 days.

2) You [The person who purchased the item] must have your original receipt and if required, the matching card that you paid with.

3) The item must be unused.

4) The item must be in the unopened, original packaging.
IF an item has been obviously opened [Specifically cellophane and ripped packaging] then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee.

Do you know anyone with a Phillips TV who has an original remote which you could borrow to retune the channel?

I have returned things to Argos that were not unused but the brief use in no way affected the condition of the goods. Some items are excluded from their unilateral returns policy.

I have returned things to Argos that were not unused but the brief use in no way affected the condition of the goods.

COuld that be considered to be a rip-off of Argos, given the terms & conditions of their refunds policy which specifically state 'unused'?

http://www.donberg.ie/ You can get replacement remotes from this Irish website. I had very good service from them - they ship them to you - these are original remotes, not universal remotes.

COuld that be considered to be a rip-off of Argos, given the terms & conditions of their refunds policy which specifically state 'unused'?
Possibly - although ClubMan did not specify how long ago he did this. And i believe their policy slightly different from the old one is only new.

I most recently did it within the past year or two. I bought a cordless phone which was not described in detail in their catalog so it was difficult to make a fully informed purchasing decision. So brought it home and connected it up only to discover that it did not include a feature that I needed. I brought it back and got a refund no problem. The item was fully intact (bar perhaps a few ions of the rechargeable batteries?) and in its original packaging etc. I also did this a few years ago when the catalogue description of the item was misleading (claimed much higher standby and talk time battery lifetime than the manufacturer's manual included in the box stated). I complained to Argos and the ASAI about this and my complaint was deemed legitimate. I don't consider either of these to be ripping Argos off.

Argos apologised and admitted in writing to me that their catalog was inaccurate. ASAI upheld the complaint but as with others of mine that they upheld it did not appear in their monthly bulletin for some reason. By the time the matter had been dealt with a new Argos catalog had been issued anyway so the issue was moot.

Obviously if the product is faulty or not as described, that is a different issue as it must be "fit for use" (as described). This wouldn't be the case if a remote was just bought to re-tune the TV and return it.

ASAI upheld the complaint but as with others of mine that they upheld it did not appear in their monthly bulletin for some reason.
Very strange - I'd have many complaints about the ASAI, but I'm never found them not to include upheld complaints in their bulletin.
I bought a cordless phone which was not described in detail in their catalog so it was difficult to make a fully informed purchasing decision. So brought it home and connected it up only to discover that it did not include a feature that I needed. I brought it back and got a refund no problem.
Wouldn't the 'If you're not sure about things fitting, don't buy them' advice have been relevant here?

Is Clubmans proposed solution not more akin to the old trick of buying an item, wearing it (e.g. to wedding etc) and returning for a refund - hardly ethical, and am quite surprised that a moderator would suggest it...

Is Clubmans proposed solution not more akin to the old trick of buying an item, wearing it (e.g. to wedding etc) and returning for a refund - hardly ethical, and am quite surprised that a moderator would suggest it...
No - read my post above and tell me how returning the item under the Argos returns policy is not ethical.

Back