RTE randomness

An excellent enunciator and probably the most popular and well known figure in RTE in the 60’s , apparently he had a legion of female admirers who used to put on their finery before sitting down to watch him on the news !
And his surname was Mitchel not the more common Mitchell.

An excellent enunciator and probably the most popular and well known figure in RTE in the 60’s , apparently he had a legion of female admirers who used to put on their finery before sitting down to watch him on the news !
And his surname was Mitchel not the more common Mitchell.
He was a college drop-out actor, quite to rule breaker for his time.

In fairness he retired in 1984. That's 38 years ago. If you remember him well then you are old. :D
I was very advanced for my young year, Also, I lived in single channel land back in the 70's so he, Don Cockborn, Gardai Patrol and Mart and Market are engrained in my brain, along with the "proper" Angelus, the Riordans and Trom agus Eadrom.

I do sometimes find it entertaining to dig out a video on You Tube of old RTE to see the kids reaction

I was very advanced for my young year, Also, I lived in single channel land back in the 70's so he, Don Cockborn, Gardai Patrol and Mart and Market are engrained in my brain, along with the "proper" Angelus, the Riordans and Trom agus Eadrom.

I do sometimes find it entertaining to dig out a video on You Tube of old RTE to see the kids reaction
Yea, you're old. You're older then me by the sounds of it and I'm nearly 50.

No doubt then you’ll remember Maurice O’Doherty - perhaps the best of them all.

The occasional newsflashes used to scare the bejaysus out of me as a child - invariably about some horrific bombing or shooting in the north.

Back