RTE randomness

ATC110

Could anyone suggest why RTE think there is a viewership for a 1.5 hour documentary on some former RTE journalist.

Thanks in advance

Charle Bird. This is Charlie Bird. Did I say Charlie Bird?

I think you are half answering your own question there :)

People know who he is.
I presume it was focusing on human interest angle of his health problems.

Take a look at a show like "Who do you think you are" which has been adapted by multiple international broadcasters after originating in the UK.
Are the stories of many of the participants any more interesting than that of a non celeb civilian?
Nope.
They are just a hook.

Would be interesting to see the viewing figures...

I think you are half answering your own question there :)

People know who he is.
I presume it was focusing on human interest angle of his health problems.

Take a look at a show like "Who do you think you are" which has been adapted by multiple international broadcasters after originating in the UK.
Are the stories of many of the participants any more interesting than that of a non celeb civilian?
Nope.
They are just a hook.

Would be interesting to see the viewing figures...
Was it a documentary about Charlie Bird or an episode of "Who do you think you are?" featuring Charlie Bird?
I rarely watch RTE as I think most of their programming is rubbish so I'm not familiar with the format.

Reactions: PMU
Was it a documentary about Charlie Bird or an episode of "Who do you think you are?" featuring Charlie Bird?
I rarely watch RTE as I think most of their programming is rubbish so I'm not familiar with the format.
It was a once off documentary, I was just using "Who do you think you are" as an example but from what I can gather it was more like "How do you face dying from an incurable disease" featuring "This is Charlie Bird".

It was a once off documentary, I was just using "Who do you think you are" as an example but from what I can gather it was more like "How do you face dying from an incurable disease" featuring "This is Charlie Bird".
Yea, but there's been lots of stuff about his illness on RTE already. As a very infrequent viewer even I have noticed that.

Hey RTE just want to go back to a time when their 'journalists' were the most important people in everyone's lives.

That or this is just a really cheap way for them to fill 90 minutes that many of their elderly viewers will just lap up.

It is trending on google search but that might be just bored RTE staff or disgruntled licence fee payers...

Yeah I can see the randomness/laziness of the programming, but if it raises the profile of Charlie's illness and its consequences for the sufferer and the family, then it's laudable.

Charlie has featured in newspaper articles too, so it looks like it might be part of a well-planned media campaign to raise research money for charities as well as awareness of the condition. Speculation on my part but a bit too coincidental, what with coverage of him climbing mountains etc.

Well done Charlie and family.

Oh, right. Yes, it's a bit strange how the whole country must now be involved in Charlie's illness. It's sad at a human level but it's all a bit indulgent by RTE.
More than a bit-RTE are shamelessly self-indulgent. They seem to exist in an echo chamber.
When Marian Finucane died there was five days of wall-to-wall plaudits by seemingly anyone who'd been "interviewed" by her when all that was merited was for the death to be announced in the news bulletin.

Are they any different from any other media outlet?. BBC, C4 etc are all quite capable of shouting how important they are and their people are. some of our radio stations here you'd swear were the only ones on the planet. Today FM is a love in until they sack the presenters and then they are forgotten about.

I didn't see all of Monday nights programme but what I did see was interesting and in fairness to Charlie B, he's doing a lot of good in the short time he has left.

It's not just RTE. There was a time when people did their job and got paid and went home. If they did a good job then people said thanks. Now everyone is heroic and everyone is exceptional and everyone needs the gratification of strangers. All RTE are doing in plugging in to the social media culture when hyperbole is the norm. Personally I think they are just awesome!

I have an old Sunday Times newspaper I use for whooshing out flies.

On the front page is a picture of Charlie Bird, after his Croagh Patrick climb, being supported by his grandchildren, as he looks like he's about to keel over. It is certainly a heroic pose if not almost echoing The Passion of the Christ.

On the other hand, on that climb he was joined by 4000 other people, and together they raised €1.5 million for Motor Neurone disease.

I'm not sure if that was featured in the documentary, if it was then I'd give it a free pass. That would be worthy of a documentary in itself imo.

If you want to talk about randomness in the RTE schedule, looking at this week's schedule, is anyone actually going to watch repeats of Father Brown or Casualty at breakfast time this morning?
How about primetime viewing tonight 8pm - 9pm featuring repeats of Neven Maguire and Ear to the Ground?
And wouldn't it make more sense to air those lifestyle shows at breakfast time???

The Virgin Media schedule is even worse, might even be computer generated on VM2 and VM3.

Last edited:
Maybe the Charlie Bird programme was a change from some D list RTÉ head doing yet another travel programme meeting the plebs around the country?
And those programmes are likely sponsored by Bord Bia or Failte Ireland or Ireland's Ancient East or Wild Atlantic Way or whatever free cash they can get.

Enough people seem to like and watch programs about Charlie bird, Marian finucane etc

While I wouldn’t watch them myself, is that not sufficient reason to broadcast?

Back