Roofer Dublin 8

Gordanus

Registered User
Messages
706
Hi all,

roof has sprung a leak with all the rain recently... but the felting seems damp almost everywhere. And the chimney flashing also seems damaged, so the wall to the adjoining house is also wet.

I did have a roofer out before Christmas, before all this rain, who told me that I have one slipped slate and several cracked slates. He quoted €4k to repair/replace. He seemed to me quite intimidating (I'm a small woman) so I told him I'd think about it, as it seemed an excessive price to me. I'm also concerned about insurance - can I take their word for it that they have insurance? Or should I ask to see it?

So if anyone can recommend a roofer, I'd be glad.

(Have checked for past posts, but they all seem quite old)
 
Have heard them recommended many times down through the years.
Like the OP I had last week a roof leak in a property in D6 and I had sent an enquiry to Dcoakley amongst others. I just had a call from him this afternoon saying he was way too busy to consider me but then spent about 10 minutes explaining to me what likely is the problem and how to go about getting it sorted and not to get suckered into spending big on what is likely a small issue. Definitely came across as a straight talking / no nonsense type of person.
 
True, but can't blame them either, if they're getting big jobs with regular work and regular pay. I'm sure doing domestic jobs is a headache between calling out to give a quote for a job they might not get, trying to work on several different houses at the same time in order to have a stream of income, and everything else when you might be dealing with several householders. A lot of roofers seem to be very small businesses, sole traders.
 
I did have a roofer out before Christmas, before all this rain, who told me that I have one slipped slate and several cracked slates. He quoted €4k to repair/replace
FWIW I have a slate roof in north county Dublin that regularly ends up with cracked slates. I’ve had a couple of different people put to replace them over the years, they would tend to replace maybe 4-6 slates in half a day and might charge €2-300 for that. Now granted I don’t know how many you have damaged, but it’s unlikely to be 80 and roofing is not an expensive trade so €4k sounds absolutely obscene.
 
10k would get a roofer out though. A roof is it more or less dangerous than being a Sparks. My plumber told me he doesn’t do digging. Very very picky these days…. My neighbour’s plumber has disappeared, miscommunication meant plumber quoted for pipes, but expected someone else to do the trenches … A couple of slates, not happening,
 
FWIW I have a slate roof in north county Dublin that regularly ends up with cracked slates. I’ve had a couple of different people put to replace them over the years, they would tend to replace maybe 4-6 slates in half a day and might charge €2-300 for that. Now granted I don’t know how many you have damaged, but it’s unlikely to be 80 and roofing is not an expensive trade so €4k sounds absolutely obscene.

Yes,, 5-8 tiles iirc. (Sorry, can't rmember how to do a quote + reply)
 
If they do gutter cleaning and your gutters need doing, then when things settle down post storm damage work you might have more chance of getting someone out to do the gutters and have a look at the slates to assess it while they are up.
 
Back
Top