RockView in Sandyford

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fan doesn't come on even when I flick the switch. I'm wondering does the bulb need to be in in order for it to work. good ques re the bulbs. I hope normal ones are needed.
Hey, anyone got the shower enclosure for ensuite yet? Where did you get one for the size. I'm having trouble getting one.

Cathal told me he sorted the boiler out but him giving a demonstration on how it works?? I doubt that very much. Sorry I don't have a very high opinion of him. I was in there the other day and the timer was clicking so I presume it's working. Just have to turn it on properly to check the heat.

Guys, I presuming the skirting boards are stuck in so getting wooden floors will mean pulling them off the walls?

Our fan is working without a bulb - so sounds like there's a problem with your fan. Looking at the shape of the light cover I suspect that one of the special M shaped bulbs will be needed - I had to buy one of these for a bathroom in an apartment before. They are about €15 I think.

Guys, I presuming the skirting boards are stuck in so getting wooden floors will mean pulling them off the walls?

To have wooden floors you shouldn't have to pull the skirting boards off the walls. What you can do is get the floors put down and then just put beading around the edges (bottom of the skirting boards) to make it look neat.

Thanks Sarah,
Yeah I'm going to get the beading if the skirting is def stuck on.

Must get on to Cathal re that fan. Can those bulbs be bought in a regular hardware store do you know Dimple?

Yeah i'd say you'd get it in most hardware shops alright. I'm heading out there shortly so I'll try to get the cover off and see what exactly is needed.

The skirting is stuck on so we are getting beading for the wooden floor also.

Just to let you know it's only a standard bulb you need for the light in the bathroom and the cover should come off easy enough if you use a coin or a knife.

Hi,

Got my keys yesterday and must say my opinion of Cathal has changed. He took down the light covers for me and showed me how the boiler worked etc. Guess acting like a damsel in distress helps!!
Yeah only need a standard bulb for bathrooms.

Hi guys,

Just wondering do any of you know if our individual units are insured under the maintanence charge. I know the whole building is but if damage happens within one particular apt, is this covered? Will be taking out contents insurance but not sure if I need cover for the apt.

Hi Bron,

In regards to the insurance cover on your Apt. You should read up about your 10 year homebond that comes with the purchase of your apt. I know this covers any sort of structural damage that might be caused by a fire or a leak that might occur through your ceiling. Would be worth a look.

The maintenance fee basically just covers the halls ways, bin charges & the grounds outside the apt. blocks.

Hope this helps you somewhat!

SarahS said:

To have wooden floors you shouldn't have to pull the skirting boards off the walls. What you can do is get the floors put down and then just put beading around the edges (bottom of the skirting boards) to make it look neat.

You will be very silly leavin on skirting to fit wooden floors - the floor will be raised considerably when you have to put in the plywood underfloor etc. Even if u rip off the skirting is sooo cheap to replace. Usually the place you are buying your floor from will provide these for you free of charge. Don't make the mistake of leaving them on! Or else will never look professional.

pinkie123 said:
You will be very silly leavin on skirting to fit wooden floors - the floor will be raised considerably when you have to put in the plywood underfloor etc. Even if u rip off the skirting is sooo cheap to replace. Usually the place you are buying your floor from will provide these for you free of charge. Don't make the mistake of leaving them on! Or else will never look professional.

I dont know what sort of shabby work was done on your wooden floors before. I've seen floors being put down perfectly fine without ripping off the skirting boards.

Have to agree with you Walshy. I moved into one of the apartments in Bracken Hill almost a year ago and put down wooden floors without pulling up the skirting boards and you'd never notice. The beading makes it look very neat. I suppose it might depend on the type of floor you are putting down though.

Mmm, I'm getting the beading, thanks guys.
And I'm sure skirting boards are sooo cheap but when buying an apt by yourself, nothing is cheap!!

with regards to bracken hill and the hump some people seem to have regarding affordable housing!! I was one of the lucky people who entered the lottery for one of these units and came out number 13 in the draw over 2 yrs ago. After a very long and tiring process with dun laoghaire county council i finally moved in to my top floor apt Dec 2005. Yes i did get my apt at a knockdown price of 200k but there are various clawbacks involving resale. Anyone who has done their research on affordable housing will realise that you still have to earn a very good wage to get a mortgage, put up deposits, snagging, legal fee's etc. People should also note that any new development that is built now that 10% is set aside for affordable housing whatever area you are in (that includes the delux devolpment that is currently been built in the grounds of killiney court hotel!). So people lets not let the green eyed monster take control and stop looking down our nose at affordable housing. In my view the current government is not helping someone like myself or yourself in getting onto the property ladder and affordable housing is the way to go. Believe me, im a single male aged 29 and a 200k mortgage puts a deep hole in my pocket each month. Think im lucky?, well arent the majority of couples living in this development and surrounding areas dividng on average a 380 k mortgage between them. Do the maths on that one!

Hi guys, quick question, does anyone have the name of handyman to do odd jobs in Rockview? Also, where did u guys get your shower doors?

Hey all,
Quick note to say be careful when putting up the shower doors.
Just try and make sure the pipes to the radiator aren't behind where you're drilling to hold the doors in place. Something like that would set you right back having to organise a plumber, plasterer and tiler to fix a leak.

Re wooden floors; I suppose it's a personal preference when it comes to the skirtings.
If you're careful when taking the skirting boards off and don't break any of them, then there's no expense in replacing them, just need a little repainting.
As far as I know, in the trade (and I'm not in the trade, just going on what friends who are say), the standard practice is to remove the skirtings before laying the floors. The only reason you don't remove them is where there are pipes going into radiators(for example) coming up from the floor, rather than out from the walls like ours. This makes it very awkward and difficult to lay the floor properly and has a lot of waste etc etc.
Personally, it wouldn't bother me one way or another. You'd only actually notice it if you were really looking for it and I would doubt whether a minor detail like that would affect the resale value one way or another in however many years you're selling.

Nicki, you can get your shower door in any place like Tubs and Tiles or the Chadwicks Bathroom centre in the Sandyford Industrial Estate. Brooks also have shower doors etc. also in the Ind Est.

Nicki,
I'm having trouble finding shower doors to fit the tray. Apparently, it's very small-think it's 720mm and not many doors come at that size. You can get ones for 700mm that expand to 710 and ones for 760 that contract to 730. Has anyone got ones that fit. And where? I'm going to remeasure again to double check the size.

Has anyone got broadband yet? Looks like eircoms the only line active. I'm thinking wireless but does Irish Braodband have a good name and more to the point does it give good reception where we are. I was told on the phone that we could use it up here but their website says we can't. Is anyone using wireless?

Hi Bron,

You should try Clearwire Broadband. I am using them & haven't had any trouble with at all. They have very good coverage & the price is quite reasonable as well. Its €30 per month for your first 6 months & €40 per month thereafter.

Worth a look if you can't find anything else.

In relation to the shower doors... Have you tried Chadwicks or Tubs & tiles in Stillorgan Ind. Est. (across from Atlantic Homecare) They should be able to sort you out. Just bring down the measurements to them & see what the craic is!!

Do you mind me asking what floor you're on, Walshy.
It's just Clearwire told me as I'm on ground floor, I wouldn't be able to get reception but maybe they're just covering themselves.

If you want to cancel your Clearwire account during the contract period I think it costs about €120. So if your service is crap and you aren't happy its going to be expensive to cancel the contract. That's what put me off.

Magnet told me broadband would be available from the end of July. If you can wait that long. I think we'll go for them.

Also I would be wary of people on this site telling you how wonderful a certain broadband provider is. They could easily be from the company trying to boost sales. Always look back at a poster's history and make up your own mind whether or not they are genuine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back