Rip-Off Ryder Cup - Are you one of the "Unpatriotic"?

Magoo

So the Minister for Tourism (and whatever) has said that seeking to make a quick (and unreasonable) buck is being unpatriotic.

While I agree with the sentiment, it all relates back to how Ireland is perecived abroad and what the touists might think of us. While I accept that the tourism is industry is important, I just wish successive Governments would place as much emphasis and importance on what the resident population might reasonably expect from a modern, progressive economy (e.g. a decent health service where it wasn't a requirement to VOTE JOHN to see that Temple Street Children's hospital had the resources it needs).

And as for the creation of a rip-off Ireland, might not the Minister look at his own administration and consider the impact of the VAT and Exise duty on the rip-off environment he seeks so passionately to avoid.

Who says higher prices are necessarily a rip off and not just the effects of supply and demand (e.g. the latter exceeding the former even more than usual)? More populist rip off Ireland rubbish.

On the flip side, neither is it accurate to assume that all instances of higher prices can be attributed to the economics of supply and demand. Given the circumstances, there will undoubtedly be some examples of blatent profiteering which will leave a sour taste in the mouth of those on the receiving end who have no option but to cough up. It's not as though there's a competing Ryder Cup they could go to instead.

My point was that it's a bit rich for any representative of the Government to complain about a rip-off culture when they're not exactly blameless themselves and should, in any event, have more pressing concerns to address.

By the way did anyone ever manage to rent out their house for €20-€30K+ for the Ryder Cup?

I actually checked out the ryder cup accomodation website the other day for a laugh. Still loads of places on it as you would expect. Was tempted to rent the 3 bed in Tallaght for EUR 13,000 though.....And these are the same people who will turn around after the Ryder Cup and give out about Rip Off Ireland!

On the flip side, neither is it accurate to assume that all instances of higher prices can be attributed to the economics of supply and demand.
Yes - that's why I didn't assume anything of the sort above.

Re: Rip-Off Ryder Cup

Some bungalow outside Maynooth (with a taxi strike on) is € , is that your brothers :p

Last year, when i was on holidays, a Spanish couple asked me about Ireland, which they were thinking about visiting. Specifically, they wanted to know about two things: the weather and the prices.

Now, i know that for the sake of my country i should have told the patriotic lie. But they were such a nice couple and it was hard to look them in the eyes and tell bare-faced porkies. So i told them the truth and i don't think they're coming here now. :(

Does this make me one of the "unpatriotic"?

What about the prices? That the prices of things in Ireland are at the level that everyone is willing to pay? Which is the same as the prices anywhere else?

This may well be economic fact, but it wouldn't be a helpful thing to say to tourists coming to Ireland, such as these Spanish people. You would be better off to give them some good information, like informing them it is about three times as expensive to eat out in Ireland as to eat out in Spain - then you could add that 'this is the price people are willing to pay' - if you wish the Spanish people in question to think you are a bit of a Pat Kenny ;)

This may well be economic fact, but it wouldn't be a helpful thing to say to tourists coming to Ireland, such as these Spanish people. You would be better off to give them some good information, like informing them it is about three times as expensive to eat out in Ireland as to eat out in Spain - then you could add that 'this is the price people are willing to pay' - if you wish the Spanish people in question to think you are a bit of a Pat Kenny ;)

Three times more expensive?? where do you eat out, Shanahans?
You can easily get a great Pizza for 10-12 Euros (Da Pinos for example). Are you saying a Pizza in Spain is 3-4 Euros?

Who says higher prices are necessarily a rip off and not just the effects of supply and demand (e.g. the latter exceeding the former even more than usual)? More populist rip off Ireland rubbish.

Agreed, Go to Budapest during the week of the Grand Prix, it isn't any different over there, however no one bangs on about Rip Off Hungary

Back