Rip-Off Ryder Cup - Are you one of the "Unpatriotic"?

Well when I was in Barcelona it certainly wasn't cheap in the CC. Infact many things were comparable in price to Dublin CC.
Ripoff Ireland is over-hyped, and if you shop around you can do well.

Just wondering about the prices of tickets on ebay. Pairs of tickets are going for up to 1K++. One 4 day package with golf (not the K club) and accomadation is going for 15K:eek:

Thought all allocated tickets were linked to passport numbers and couldn't be transferred???

Have mine for the sunday and nobody is getting them :p

Malaga and Almeria (city).

This is not a like for like comparison then, Dublin is a bit expensive but so is London, Paris, New York etc..
When I was last over I stayed about 1 hour away from Barcelona in a village where mainly Spanish people go on holiday and eating out there was no where near as cheap as you say. And this was over 5 years ago.

My mate is from Barcelona and he's working over here because the wages here are roughly 2-3 time higher. It's all relative.

Agreed, Go to Budapest during the week of the Grand Prix, it isn't any different over there, however no one bangs on about Rip Off Hungary

Maybe the Hungarians do? I've heard Czechs complain about the prices in Prague, basically how natives can't afford to live there anymore because the tourists have put the prices up. I can speak from experience that the rest of the Czech Republic is much cheaper (for food, drink and accomodation) than its capital. Prob the same is happening in Budapest.

If you're a tourist the local salary-to-cost ratio makes no difference to you. If i'm visiting Switzerland or Spain, it matters not one bit to me what the Swiss or Spanish are earning, it only matters how far i can make my own money stretch. Not that cost is the primary factor, it may be worth it to splash out to see the Alps or to spend a few euro extra to have a coffee while watching the sights on La Rambla.

Dublin is a bit expensive but so is London, Paris, New York etc..

Expensive compared to Dublin: London, yes. Paris, maybe. New York? Nah - and that's BEFORE you take the extremely favourable exchange rate into account.

Was in Zurich recently. That felt more expensive than Dublin. But people there make plenty of money so they don't think so.

It's all relative. When wages go up, so do costs. How could it be otherwise?

it is all relative.hotels have busy and slack periods. cant compare the price during valley periods with Ryder cup and they week after the Ryder cup will probably be a valley period.I got a great deal in a Galway hotel few years ago the week AFTER race week. . I am very shortly going away for a weekend. the price for the same hotel, same weekend, varies so greatly that you would wonder. ( best western taksim, istanbul, premier room, ( 4 nights ) hotel itself €135 per night, Expedia £600 for 4 nights ( ordinary room) Ryanair €450 ( premier room) There will be scams during the Ryder cup, hotels charging what they can, while they can is not one of them. Might as well accuse A/L, Ryanair etc of overcharging during Christmas period. Expensive - yes, rough on travellers - yes, rip off - No.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Ryder Cup is not actually the big deal that the advertisers and media are painting it as after all. I mentioned it to a few Yanks last time I was over there and nobody had a clue what I was talking about.

Yes, golf is pretty much a minority sport everywhere. But anyone into sports in general know what the Ryder Cup is alright.

equally they all know what the world cup is, or any number of other sporting events.

Back