Rights around driving my UK car in Ireland

Propwest

Hi, I am UK resident and intending on leaving my secondary car (UK reg) in Ireland for 6 months at a time so I can avail of transport on my regular visits to Ireland to see family.

The car is insured for European travel and open driven up to 9 months on any one trip and taxed and MOT in England.

Can my friends and family who are resident in Ireland freely avail of the car when they are stuck for a vehicle in Ireland, which also keeps it operational whilst I am in UK working.

If you perceive any legal issues can you refer to explicit law underpinning that opinion.

Thanks Paddy Bloggit , I have indeed read that information but it appears I don't need a temporary exemption as I am bringing the car back and over to the UK regularly and the car is domiciled in the UK but visiting Ireland.

Are you aware of any exacting leglislation ?

Can my friends and family who are resident in Ireland freely avail of the car when they are stuck for a vehicle in Ireland,

No. (see above link for confirmation.)

Of course you could risk it and argue with Customs and Excise when (and if) they confiscate the vehicle. But is it worth it?

I am not having anyone specifically or regularly driving the car whilst in Ireland so it appears I don't need to apply for an exemption. It really doesnt feel like there is specific regulation to guide.
No. (see above link for confirmation.)

Of course you could risk it and argue with Customs and Excise when (and if) they confiscate the vehicle. But is it worth it?
This is the essence of my query? risking what? The car is roadworthy, English owned , visiting Ireland regularly. Am I missing something here but there genuinely doesn't seem to be a law you are referring to which is being contravened?

it appears I don't need a temporary exemption as I am bringing the car back and over to the UK regularly and the car is domiciled in the UK but visiting Ireland.

In your OP, you said:

intending on leaving my secondary car (UK reg) in Ireland for 6 months at a time

That, to me, is more than bringing it back and forth regularly. You intend leaving it in Ireland.

If you seem happy with your reading of what I linked to, I would suggest you ring Revenue directly for peace of mind.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/contact-us/index.aspx

Let’s say you leave the car in your sisters house and she drives it around . She risks being asked by a customs officer why she has an UK car and is using it without re registrating it , as per the law . If the customs officer is not happy with her explanation that it’s her uk resident brothers car and he visits regularly etc etc, the customs officer has the legal right to immediately impound the car pending further investigation.

Again forgive me but under what exact law in Irish statute have they a right to impound a legal English car visiting the country. I cannot find such a law. It was akin to covid fines which weren't enforceable in law.
Apologies but having looked at the referrals and previous threads it feels like hearsay in the absence of a specific law enforceable in a court of law and with a clear penalty for contravening.
If feels no-one can point to a specific law?

If you want actual legal advice , you’ll have to ask a solicitor.

As you have asked here for some advice , here’s the tax and duty manual on VRT . I haven’t read it in full but it’s likely to halp
You answer your question on the legal basis ,

Can my friends and family who are resident in Ireland freely avail of the car when they are stuck for a vehicle in Ireland, which also keeps it operational whilst I am in UK working.
What does your insurer say about your car being driven by a third party outside the UK?

I would be very surprised if they would be covered.

"The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident."

Thank you, hugely helpful if I were importing a vehicle but I am not.

I just checked with a lawyer and they informed me that legally I am on solid ground if resident in UK and driving a UK vehicle and other people drive it irregularly and they are insured.

There are no legal grounds to impound a vehicle which is legally visiting Ireland and which is road worthy.

I just checked with a lawyer and they informed me that legally I am on solid ground if resident in UK and driving a UK vehicle and other people drive it irregularly and they are insured.

There are no legal grounds to impound a vehicle which is legally visiting Ireland and which is road worthy.
If the car is in the country and you are not is it legally visiting?

it appears I don't need a temporary exemption as I am bringing the car back and over to the UK regularly and the car is domiciled in the UK but visiting Ireland.
So if the temporary exemption doesn’t apply to your circumstances, to whom do you believe it otherwise applies?

other people drive it irregularly
How is the frequency of use proved or disproved when your family member encounters a Customs checkpoint?

They just see a UK-registered vehicle being driven by someone who is Irish resident and not the vehicle's owner.

Both you and they can take their chances, but I don't think the legal advice is plausible.

and they are insured.

Do Irish insurers regularly cover drivers of third-party owned cars which are UK-registered? I don't think mine does.

Given the amount of time it spends here, there’s a good possibility that the car will, at some point, be checked by Customs.

I wouldn’t like to be the Irish resident relying on the argument that the car belongs to my non-resident UK relative, that it spends six months of the year in Ireland and that I’m only driving it to keep it active.

But your legal advice will be good in the context of seeking to retrieve the car after it’s been seized.

The VRT information to which you were directed outlines the circumstances in which payment of VRT on a foreign registered car is not required.

It provides for occasional visits by non-residents such as yourself. It requires the driver to have proof of residency status, to be produced on inspection by Customs. It clearly states that any such car may not be driven by a resident of Ireland.

I don’t know how this requirement could be expressed any more clearly.

Back