Rights around driving my UK car in Ireland

It feels like the circumstances the op is outlining are unlikely to be the reality of what happens but what they will attempt to claim is happening...

In fairness to the OP, that has nothing to do with the query.
Insurance is a big issue though, if the car is not insured it can't be driven here.
Insurance for up to a 9 month trip would presumably be contingent on the OP being on the trip.

Unless it's a Volkswagen Beetle called Herbie and you claim it's on its holidays on its own - 'Herbie Gets Impounded'

Insurance is a big issue though, if the car is not insured it can't be driven here.
Thanks for that. I thought that was why the OP posted here looking for insight :rolleyes:.
Insurance for up to a 9 month trip would presumably be contingent on the OP being on the trip.
The OP has supplied the information given by the broker/insurer; I see little point in trying to second-guess the T&Cs.

The OP has supplied the information given by the broker/insurer; I see little point in trying to second-guess the T&Cs.
The car is insured for European travel and open driven up to 9 months on any one trip and taxed and MOT in England.

The OP appears to think that his car being insured when OP brings it on a trip to another country is the same as the car being driven by someone else in another country while OP is at home in the UK.

Aside from insurance, it's pretty clear that Irish residents can't drive a foreign reg car unless they qualify for the exemptions below:

Individuals established in the State​

Vehicles driven by State residents are generally required to be registered in the State. However, you may apply for temporary exemption if you are a State resident and you are:

• employed by an employer established and trading in another member State
  • or
  • self-employed and you have a business that is principally trading in another Member State.
The vehicle must:

• be a passenger car or motorcycle registered abroad
  • be supplied under your contract of employment and owned or leased by your employer
  • not be disposed of or hired out in the State or lent to a person established in the State
  • not be used for the carriage of person for reward within the State
  • not be used to transport goods for business purposes within the State
  • and
  • be used principally for business purposes outside the State. (Travel to, and from, your place of work is not counted as business use.)

I just checked with a lawyer and they informed me that legally I am on solid ground if resident in UK and driving a UK vehicle and other people drive it irregularly and they are insured.

There are no legal grounds to impound a vehicle which is legally visiting Ireland and which is road worthy.

Have you considered instructing your lawyer to write to the Revenue Commissioners to tell them that they're wrong?

Hi, I am UK resident and intending on leaving my secondary car (UK reg) in Ireland for 6 months at a time so I can avail of transport on my regular visits to Ireland to see family.

The car is insured for European travel and open driven up to 9 months on any one trip and taxed and MOT in England.

Can my friends and family who are resident in Ireland freely avail of the car when they are stuck for a vehicle in Ireland, which also keeps it operational whilst I am in UK working.

If you perceive any legal issues can you refer to explicit law underpinning over it
Hi, I am UK resident and intending on leaving my secondary car (UK reg) in Ireland for 6 months at a time so I can avail of transport on my regular visits to Ireland to see family.

Can my friends and family who are resident in Ireland freely avail of the car when they are stuck for a vehicle in Ireland, which also keeps it operational whilst I am in UK working.

If you perceive any legal issues can you refer to explicit law underpinning that opinion.
You will not be able pay UK road tax because you cannot obtain UK MOT and then possibly the insurance will not cover it

Last edited:

"The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident."

If the car is in the country and you are not is it legally visiting?
Sure is legal, vehicle doesn't need to be back n forth in hand luggage!
Have you considered instructing your lawyer to write to the Revenue Commissioners to tell them that they're wrong?
No need to raise it, it's not that they are wrong, there just isn't a law to support the statement. And people jump to conclusions without actually asking the question. So here it is" what law supports the statement"?

You will not be able pay UK road tax because you cannot obtain UK MOT and then possibly the insurance will not cover it

The car comes to UK with me every 6 months, not sure how you jumped to conclusion that it cannot go in for mot in UK. Why?

You're allowed to drive a foreign reg car here as a visitor, that exemption applies to you not the car.
Irish friends and family can't drive the car here because they do not have an exemption to drive a foreign reg car.
Unless you start a business and hire them and they need your car for that to travel to the UK.

Sure is legal, vehicle doesn't need to be back n forth in hand luggage!
I guess you could bring it on the ferry back and forth every 6 months and fly over in between if you keep it in storage over here.
Irish residents can't drive it while it's here though.

If you think about it, the alternative would be a massive loophole in the VRT system, cheap cars for anyone with a UK mate.

The car comes to UK with me every 6 months,

So it appears clear that the car is domiciled in Ireland and visits the UK regularly.

On average how many days per year is the car in the UK? In case of any problems with Revenue I'm sure you would be expected to produce records of ferry travel.

I can’t see the issue. If customs check the car the OP can prove he lives, works and has a home in the UK and that he brings the car over and back for the purpose of his regular visits to Ireland. A few documents can prove all of that easily.

His legal advice seems spot on.

If you are stopped by Irish Customs they will have their own version of the situation.
This might not correspond with the law.
Irish Customs are regularly taking Alcoholic Drinks from ferry passengers who are bringing in large quantities duly paid in the EU for their own personal consumption in spite of the fact that this is fully legal.
They have also questioned me if I was carrying alcohol cigarettes and cash when I was leaving Ireland by ferry.

Last edited:
I can’t see the issue. If customs check the car the OP can prove he lives, works and has a home in the UK and that he brings the car over and back for the purpose of his regular visits to Ireland. A few documents can prove all of that easily.

His legal advice seems spot on.

Except that he proposes - supported by his legal adviser - to allow Irish residents to drive his car while it's in Ireland.

And that's plain wrong.

Again forgive me but under what exact law in Irish statute have they a right to impound a legal English car visiting the country. I cannot find such a law. It was akin to covid fines which weren't enforceable in law.
Really? Can you cite something to support that statement?

Back