Hi All
Looking for guidance, my mother's home is registered in her own name. She lost her business in 2014 and Revenue lodged 3 Judgements on her family home mortgage (2017). Since then I went as co-mortgagee on her bank mortgage to assist her paying it off. She still has 8 years left on this mortgage.
I'm looking to move in with mother to help her out with bills etc. and look after her and sell my own house (separate to my mother's property) on which I will make little profit after CGT.
As far as I'm aware interest and penalties accrue on each of these (3) Judgement Mortgages as the years pass by so paying off the Revenue debt is not a possibility in my mother's lifetime. I've also been told that the debt is on the property (against my mother) so if my mother's passes away, the debt remain on the house.
My questions are as follows:
My issue is that if I sell my own property and then Revenue enforce the sale of my mother's house to claim their debt, I will be left homeless with no option to buy anything with what would be left over.
All and any help/suggestions are welcome - has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm quite confused with what to do at this point.
Thanks,
Looking for guidance, my mother's home is registered in her own name. She lost her business in 2014 and Revenue lodged 3 Judgements on her family home mortgage (2017). Since then I went as co-mortgagee on her bank mortgage to assist her paying it off. She still has 8 years left on this mortgage.
I'm looking to move in with mother to help her out with bills etc. and look after her and sell my own house (separate to my mother's property) on which I will make little profit after CGT.
As far as I'm aware interest and penalties accrue on each of these (3) Judgement Mortgages as the years pass by so paying off the Revenue debt is not a possibility in my mother's lifetime. I've also been told that the debt is on the property (against my mother) so if my mother's passes away, the debt remain on the house.
My questions are as follows:
- If my mother passes away and the house is left to me, can the Revenue enforce the sale of the family home while I reside there?
- Is it likely that Revenue will come after my mother and enforce the sale while she is alive?
- If my mother transfers the house into my name, can Revenue come after my personal savings (i.e. circa 20k profit from sale of my own property) as I would be registered on the property and the debt is on the property i.e. my mother's house?
My issue is that if I sell my own property and then Revenue enforce the sale of my mother's house to claim their debt, I will be left homeless with no option to buy anything with what would be left over.
All and any help/suggestions are welcome - has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm quite confused with what to do at this point.
Thanks,