Renters put up dish on block without permisson.

Agree completely with JoeB. It's a stupid rule. I lived in an apartment where a sky dish remained from a previous tenant. someone complained about the dish, and I got a letter from mgt company. I told the landlord, he said ignore it, and a year later I still hadn't heard from them again!:confused:

I can understand rules being rules but why do people sign over their freedom when they buy into an apartment block, (more so a semi private estate)? There are many stupid rules in my opinion, I have heard of estates where there are no commercial vehicles allowed, no clothes drying on balconies, no dishes... in my opinion people should be free to dry clothes on balconies.... even if some people say it looks bad.
If residents of privately managed estates/developments are faced with rules that they do not like then they should (a) not buy there in the first place or (b) work towards getting the rules changed by beciming active in the management company, raising proposals for rule changes at AGMs etc.
How can they make a rule saying no commercial vehicles?, are the roads private or public?
Very often the roads in such developments are vested in the management company so are private.
In any case it seems that central government has prohibited new semi private estates
Can you link to info about this please?

ClubMan said:
Very often the roads in such developments are vested in the management company so are private.

Ok, so that would seem to suggest that normal road traffic legislation doesn't apply.. i.e no tax and insurance required, children can drive, drink driving can only be prosecuted under a general charge like endangering life or carrying on a dangerous activity... banned people can drive and the police would need permission or to form an opinion of illegal activity in order to enter. Also cars need not be roadworthy, no lights required, no seatbelts etc etc. If a crash occurs on such roads I can see the situation descending into chaos.
If the roads are indeed private some of the above issues will end up in the courts... this is what I meant when I said the councils may be attempting to find a 'middle' way of semi private and semi public.

On the issue of central government writing to councils telling them they must not refuse to take new estates 'in charge' I can't find a link at the moment, I do remember hearing something about this on a show like 'The Last Word' on Today FM, maybe another poster can find a link?.

Cheers
Joe

Ok, so that would seem to suggest that normal road traffic legislation doesn't apply.. i.e no tax and insurance required, children can drive, drink driving can only be prosecuted under a general charge like endangering life or carrying on a dangerous activity... banned people can drive and the police would need permission or to form an opinion of illegal activity in order to enter. Also cars need not be roadworthy, no lights required, no seatbelts etc etc. If a crash occurs on such roads I can see the situation descending into chaos.
Are you sure that any of those activities are allowed on other forms of private property - e.g. hotel or supermarket car parks etc.? I don't think so myself.

To be honest I'm not sure... I am pretty sure that you could do any of those things in your own driveway, if your driveway was 500m long you could have a nice little drive on it.

I'd imagine you couldn't be prosecuted for driving without insurance or tax in a supermarket or hotel carpark. Drink driving is different as potentially you could be said to be putting your own life at risk, hence possibly you could be charged with something although not under the road traffic legislation.

I have started a new thread in the 'Legal' forum on these issues so we can debate it over there, I am quite interested in what people think.
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=479799

Cheers
Joe
P.S sorry for hijacking the thread.

......as they are Polish and its the only way they can get polish tv, i am of the opinion that they should have checked first. Polish or not. What do you think and what is the best way to approch it, we were approching the owners of the apartments first.

Look, if the satellite dish is bothering you so much, then you can go to the management company and complain. However, I am sure that the rules (if there are any in relation to the installation of satellite dishes, which like other posters I doubt) were not explained fully to them. But ask yourself do you really want to deny them this?? For them, polish TV is essential as it keeps them in touch with the news at home etc.

Let them keep it

Ryan-Neil

If you really feel that strongly about just go to the management company and see what they say.

I don't know if the extra information that the people in question are polish was relevant and also did you really have to point out that it was an Indian lady that was hanging clothes on the railing? What was the point in indicating that these people were foreign? Would you have found it acceptable if they were Irish?

It's simple. Look at all the blocks around which don't have any dishes. How do they manage?

They warn the offenders that if they don't take the dish down that the management company will hire a cherry picker, remove the dish and bill the apartment owner. Problem solved.

My point re them being polish was that for an Irish person unless they want Sky, chorus is enough as it allows us to recieve our channels, in terms of keeping in touch i don't agree, you dont need 100 polish language channels to feel in touch, in fact my girlfriend is polish and while she doesnt agree about the dishes she does agree that polsat tv is not a necessity for keeping touch, you can buy polish/foreign language papers papers from several shops and the internet is available to them also if they want. The indian women the point was made because she was the only one i seen doing it, indian or not she is the only person using security railings as a clothes line. Also i felt that maybe as they were polish they may have been unable to read the block rules included in there lease due to language issues.

They built nice red brick blocks of only four apts that look like houses and they take away from them by putting up dishes and white cables all over them, also what about other owners who want to sell but have buyers put off them by these dishes. One apt has two dishes on the side of the apt, sky and another one on the side of the building facing a main road.

Apartments are small self contained communities and people shouldn't be allowed to act freely with respect to common areas and property, i would love a skylight in my attic but the roof belongs to the managment company so i don't put one in even though only i can access the attic from my apt.

Hi,

We have no managment agent, two residents arrange everything and they have agreed to raise it with the owners of the apt,

Neil

So the issue isn't a dish then, but cigarette butts? I would agree with your gf. Not many people read all the rules when they rent a property. They probably didnt even know that there might be an issue. In their country they dont need to seek permission, so thought probably never even entered their head.
As for cigarette butts, I agree, its annoying and disrespectful to those who clean. But I think its nice to be nice. Most of polish people are very nice and you could just nicely ask. Instead of going behind their back and complain about something that doesnt affect you.

Why should you feel bad about trying to protect that value of your investment. It is not your fault if people do not investigate the rules of a development before moving in. If an apartment owner reckons that their apartment will be worth more if they allow satellite dishes, then bring it to a meeting. The fact is that majority of owners do not want dishes and majority rules in group managed developments.

On the commercial vehicle issue raised, we have had this issue of people parking lwb vans and artic rigs. The parking is not made for these size vehicles and they block cameras and deteriorate security/safety. And again they are against the rules people sign up for.

I reckon there is a more interesting discussion regarding drying clothes on the balcony due to the obvious environmental benefit over tumble dryers..but that would be a discussion to have at a management company AGM !

So the best thing to do is enforce all the rules and treat everyone equally. If there is sufficient will to change those rules owners can bring it to EGM/ AGM.

Ok, so that would seem to suggest that normal road traffic legislation doesn't apply.. i.e no tax and insurance required, children can drive...

Road traffic offences can be prosecuted on private property to which the public are admitted.

Back