Renters put up dish on block without permisson.

ryan-neil

Hi,

I live in an apartment block of only 8 apartments, four been rented, the owners are the managment company, as such anyway yesterday i came home to find a dish had been erected on the block without permisson by said renter and against the rules of the block.

My gf thinks i am been anal about it but since there is already one rusty dish up from other renters, they are now both been asked to remove there dishes.

The issue is that they never sought permission to mount these dishes, just turned up and drilled holes in the red brick of the block and stuck up there dishes.

GF thinks i am been anal as they are Polish and its the only way they can get Polish TV.

I am of the opinion that they should have checked first. Polish or not. What do you think and what is the best way to approach it, we were approaching the owners of the apartments first.

You mean the management company rules dictate that there should be no dishes? Then it's up to the management company (maybe via their agent) to enforce the rules. They probably need to contact the landlord owner of the apartment. We have the same rules and the management company (via the agent) has sent circulars reminding people of them but some people still have dishes (in particular at the front of the properties also in breach of planning rules as far as I know) but nothing has been done about them. Doesn't bother me too much but the rules will only work if people abide by them or where they don't somebody enforces them.

Unless there is some issue here that affacts you (blocking your view/light) I would agree with your gf.....

I just think it looks crap, after a year they will be gone and they will leave four bolt holes in the wall which i'm sure they won't bother sealing. Had they asked they could have been directed a suitable area that is hidden from view behind storage sheds.

I live in a similar neighbourhood and the property management company try to enforce the "no dishes" rule, personally I have nothing against them and have one myself (although in a detatched house), and do not think that satellite dishes, a new facet of everyday life in Ireland, just like aerials many years ago, are eyesores at all. Just my personal opinion. But renters should have the common courtesy to check with owners in advance.

Just tell them they will be fined/sent to jail, as only one dish is allowed without planning : [broken link removed]

I agree with the gf...........if this sort of retentiveness continues to proliferate, you'd better plan on working without.............mobile phones, electricity, water, refuse removal and processing etc etc., the list goes on.

When the ESB first brought electicity to Ireland, they put in a single cable, overland, on the outside of your house, down the wall, through the to a single switch for a single light. Imagine if current mentality prevailed then, no ESB would have been delivered (unsightly :rolleyes: ) and we'd all be growing..........mushrooms......

I agree with the gf...........if this sort of retentiveness continues to proliferate, you'd better plan on working without.............mobile phones, electricity, water, refuse removal and processing etc etc., the list goes on.

When the ESB first brought electicity to Ireland, they put in a single cable, overland, on the outside of your house, down the wall, through the to a single switch for a single light. Imagine if current mentality prevailed then, no ESB would have been delivered (unsightly :rolleyes: ) and we'd all be growing..........mushrooms......
Interesting rant but not really that helpful especially in the context of this situation where (a) the private management company has rules about such matters (i.e. not just the original poster being a crank) and (b) the likelyhood that planning permission is also an issue.

may well be, so a more constructive address to the OP's question would to leave the situation as-is. It's not causing any harm to anyone, only to the OP's sensibilities.

may well be, so a more constructive address to the OP's question would to leave the situation as-is. It's not causing any harm to anyone, only to the OP's sensibilities.
On the other hand if he chooses not to then he has the management company rules and maybe even planning regulations on his side.

In general it is a good idea to minimise conflict with one's neighbours and tolerance of minor annoyances can pay dividends in terms of avoiding hassle and bother in the long run.

Yes - that's why I suggested more than once that the original poster let the management company deal with this issue.

I agree with ClubMan. Contact the management company (or agent if you have one). It's up to the management company to enforce the rule and the agent (if any) will carry out their instructions.

As an agent in this industry I sometimes get called upon to enforce this rule, putting my personal thoughts to one side.

Just to let you know though, it's a hard one to enforce and some management companies baulk at the thought of anything more than a letter being sent out.

We got them taken down where I used to live. Notices got sent out by the Management Company with a defined period by which they had to be taken down and if not the Man. Co. took them down. You have to abide by the rules you sign up to in an apt. community - otherwise everything just deteriorates. Tolerance can be another word for apathy in some situations. Give folks and inch and they will take a mile. Nip it in the bud, I say.

It's quite simple whether you agree with it or not it should be taken down UNLESS you bring it up at the AGM of the Management Co in an attempt to change the rules.

From a personal point of view they don't bother me at all. However as it stands your Management Co more than likely does not allow them, there's a number of reasons for this...

1. The Management Co OWNS the outside of the building, not your neighbour therefore your neighbour has no right to damage property that does not belong to him/her.

2. Many people complain it's unsightly.

3. If satellite dishes are allowed then what's next that could be tacked onto the outside of a building, or could larger holes be drilled for something else?

4. I'm told that there can be damage to the outside of a structure due to satellite dishes being put up and holes drilled in the structure.

Where I live NTL won't even put extra points in people's units as they have to drill a small hole in the wall!!! Also, people were made take down Dublin flags from their balcony's!!!

I can understand rules being rules but why do people sign over their freedom when they buy into an apartment block, (more so a semi private estate)? There are many stupid rules in my opinion, I have heard of estates where there are no commercial vehicles allowed, no clothes drying on balconies, no dishes... in my opinion people should be free to dry clothes on balconies.... even if some people say it looks bad.

How can they make a rule saying no commercial vehicles?, are the roads private or public? If public then they (Mang. Com.) have no control over them, if private you can drive without tax and insurance, it seems the local councils must be attempting to find a middle way, probably illegal in my moderately informed opinion. In any case it seems that central government has prohibited new semi private estates and stupid planning restrictions as being illegal but nothing has changed. What I am referring to is the refusal of many councils to take new estates 'in charge' and refusing to provide services to them, this creates a two tier society.

BobbySands81 says that people were made take down Dublin flags from balconies, what's next? No Dublin coloured wallpaper behind your windows which is viewable from outside? No painting the inside of your window panes if you so choose? Who chooses what is acceptable?, a majority view of the management company?

Obviously as far as the OP goes the rule is in place, just report the breach and wait for action to be taken... if I was unlucky enough to live in a totalatarian apartment block I would seek to find like minded individuals and take over the management company and change the rules.

Rant over, this country is a joke, tee hee.

Cheers
Joe

I would find the no commercials rule stupid to be honest and i have no problem with people hanging a flag out for a game or during the championship etc. As for clothes on banconies ive no issue either once there kept on the balconey, if people start using the balcony as a clothes horse i would have an issue. Ive seen the security railings around another block near mine used by a indian women for drying her clothers, doesn't look nice to see two double sheets and a large mat hanging from the railings. What i find worse is she hangs them on her neighbours side not her own. That building has four seperate dishs and white cables all over it and it looks tatty at best.

The reason i personally reacted so strongly over the dish is that within 3 days of moving in they have the area outside my front door and theres covered in 20+ cig butts and were then errecting a dish.

Back