Rental accommodation scheme (RAS): How does it work from Landlord & tenant POV?

Dear Trustmeh:

I am writing to you in a matter of RAS scheme as I've seen that you are a landlord and also much aware of rules regarding this scheme but also very kind towards you'r tenants. I am a tenant myself,a tenant that has just signed into this RAS with my landlord last month trough his agency ( I would also like to mention that I live at this property for the last two years--from 2011). I am a single mother of one child that is 13 and in receipt of SW, but also been working part-time since an unfortunate event brought me into this situation. Anyway, because I had applied for a house with DCC for more then 14, they told me that I can only claim Rent Supplement for 12 moths and then I have to consider other housing authorities offers (Voluntary housing, RAS,etc), so they somehow made me move out from the landlord that I was with for 13 years(because I had only one bedroom and by law I had to have two bedrooms as I have a son, even though my landlady had given and created me all comfort, and all conditions I had to move out) . So I found myself searching for a good place, in a good area, with decent neighbours around me. I went to this agency and I told them my story, I told them that I am looking to move into a two bedroom property, where the landlord will agree with RAS. They showed me this property and they convinced me that all is going to go according our discussion(also gave me this in writing). Two years I tried to pursue them to make the contract, as for some reasons out of my knowledge they changed their mind couple of months after moving in and paying deposit and rent, and changing my son school. Finally they signed last month and it seems that the CC is paying them 50 euro less then the rent was. Now, I am paying to CC every week 15% of my income, while CC is paying them the rent but less 50 euro. For the last 3 weeks they call me, email me to pay ,,the balance that we agree'' , even though we never had such agreement or such talk. I called the information desk at the RAS department and ask them if I should do that or not. They told me that if they ever catch me doing it, I will loose all my entitlements, and that the only rent that I should pay is to them. The agency called me and threaten me that they are going to terminate the contract if I don't pay the balance. I called back CC, and just asked them what could happen if they change their mind and want to terminate,and they told me that the landlord signed an agreement and if him or his agency are threatening me to forward them the emails and they will take it from there. They also told me that the landlord can terminate the contract only if: he wants to move himself in this property, he wants to sell the property or refurbish it.Is this true? What can happen? I would be very sad and upset if I would have to move again as this is my second home in the last 16 years in Ireland and I've invested allot of money in things to make it cosy and ,,home''. I would also be very scared that they would put me into a property that is not into a nice neighbourhood.I do not like moving from one place to another and it seems that I've lost a great landlord that had no two-bedrooms apartment for me, for this one that I didn't even get to see or to talk to in the last two years since I live in his property. And it is true, not all the tenants are criminals and outlaws... I worked and paid taxes for 10 years and my partner for 14 years before he died, I get benefits that I never wanted and I wish no one, landlord or tenant to ever go trough this. Thank you and best regards.

Does anyone know how many offers the cc have to offer a ras tenant before they are deemed to have declined all offers & are then off the ras & housing list? Does it vary from county to county or does it go by original contract?

As a landlord with a RAS property, I was told by SDCC that their tenants get 3 offers of properties before they are off the housing list.

It might be different from county to county, but as a tenant, I was told that the rule had changed, and instead of 3 offers as it use to be, we only have 2 offers now.

I am writing to you in a matter of RAS scheme as I've seen that you are a landlord and also much aware of rules regarding this scheme but also very kind towards you'r tenants. I am a tenant myself,a tenant that has just signed into this RAS with my landlord last month trough his agency ( I would also like to mention that I live at this property for the last two years--from 2011). I am a single mother of one child that is 13 and in receipt of SW, but also been working part-time since an unfortunate event brought me into this situation. Anyway, because I had applied for a house with DCC for more then 14, they told me that I can only claim Rent Supplement for 12 moths and then I have to consider other housing authorities offers (Voluntary housing, RAS,etc), so they somehow made me move out from the landlord that I was with for 13 years(because I had only one bedroom and by law I had to have two bedrooms as I have a son, even though my landlady had given and created me all comfort, and all conditions I had to move out) . So I found myself searching for a good place, in a good area, with decent neighbours around me. I went to this agency and I told them my story, I told them that I am looking to move into a two bedroom property, where the landlord will agree with RAS. They showed me this property and they convinced me that all is going to go according our discussion(also gave me this in writing). Two years I tried to pursue them to make the contract, as for some reasons out of my knowledge they changed their mind couple of months after moving in and paying deposit and rent, and changing my son school. Finally they signed last month and it seems that the CC is paying them 50 euro less then the rent was. Now, I am paying to CC every week 15% of my income, while CC is paying them the rent but less 50 euro. For the last 3 weeks they call me, email me to pay ,,the balance that we agree'' , even though we never had such agreement or such talk. I called the information desk at the RAS department and ask them if I should do that or not. They told me that if they ever catch me doing it, I will loose all my entitlements, and that the only rent that I should pay is to them. The agency called me and threaten me that they are going to terminate the contract if I don't pay the balance. I called back CC, and just asked them what could happen if they change their mind and want to terminate,and they told me that the landlord signed an agreement and if him or his agency are threatening me to forward them the emails and they will take it from there. They also told me that the landlord can terminate the contract only if: he wants to move himself in this property, he wants to sell the property or refurbish it.Is this true? What can happen? I would be very sad and upset if I would have to move again as this is my second home in the last 16 years in Ireland and I've invested allot of money in things to make it cosy and ,,home''. I would also be very scared that they would put me into a property that is not into a nice neighbourhood.I do not like moving from one place to another and it seems that I've lost a great landlord that had no two-bedrooms apartment for me, for this one that I didn't even get to see or to talk to in the last two years since I live in his property. And it is true, not all the tenants are criminals and outlaws... I worked and paid taxes for 10 years and my partner for 14 years before he died, I get benefits that I never wanted and I wish no one, landlord or tenant to ever go trough this. Thank you and best regards.

DIA, sorry to hear of this.

Firstly, as a RAS tenant, your contract is with your County Council.

Your landlord's contract is also with the County Council.

Your landlord, or the agency representing him/her, would have agreed on the monthly sum payable by RAS to them before they would have signed their contract with RAS. Once that contract has been agreed and signed, rents can be negotiated upwards or downwards every 2 years at review time.

Your landlord/agency have no right to come to you looking to make up any "shortfall" in rent having an agreed rent amount in place so please take the advice you've been given by RAS and don't engage with them.

Landlords can only cease a contract with RAS, thus terminating a tenancy if they're selling the property or require it for their own use.

Let the landlord deal with RAS, send all his/her correspondence to RAS as requested. Unfortunately this will decide the outcome for you.

I hope it works out.

DIA, sorry to hear of this.

Firstly, as a RAS tenant, your contract is with your County Council.

Your landlord's contract is also with the County Council.

Im sorry but this advice is not correct.

There is a "trinity" between the 3 parties. The landlord and CC, the tenant and CC, and still the landlord and tenant. It is still the responsibilty of the landlord to manage the tenant, and a normal lease agreement is in place, with all relevant rights to both parties.

Its true that a LL no longer needs to collect rent, and its true they should not ask for the extra, however, it is common and widespread. Wether right or wrong, many tenants insist on breaking the rule, simply because the properties that fall within the CC pricing are NOT in good areas. tenants and happy to pay a little more to get a better place. This trinity i speak of means im afraid you still need to talk and deal with your landlord or agent.

Did you sign a lease? Did this lease ask for a monthly amount of money? Did this amount MATCH the amount the CC has agreed to pay in the RAS scheme? It sounds like it is not the same amount.

Just wondering can anyone advise experience of this scheme with Waterford City Council. I am considering this scheme.
However, if it is the same as rent allowance in Kildare I will not take it up.
This is my experience and reasons why:
I agreed a tenancy with a very good tenant. We both requested that the rent be paid directly into my bank account.The rent was not paid for approx 2.5 months and this was posted (cheque)direct to tenant. Next month was paid (3 weeks late) direct to tenant less €100 and a week later this balance arrived by post again. This month is late again.
Each time the tenant rang the Rent allowance section in Dublin to request rent paid direct to my bank a/c.(always left holding for 40 mins plus).
The Tenant has now given notice and is moving home until money raised to pay rent some where without rent allowance. The tenant has said they are frustrated and embarassed by the constant problems incurred with the RA Section.I did not query the tenant at any stage as I know genuine efforts were being made to get rent paid.
It is a pity to lose a fine tenant as a result of actions (inactions) of a government agency and have to readvertise pay PRTB BER etc within such a short period.
This was the tenants and my first time to use this system and it looks like we both will not be using it again. Great little country.Sorry if I have taken off on another tangent.

Im sorry i missed this post when it happened. The key part of this quote is where the LL believed all the tenant told them, without querying the CC directly. In my area, RAS is never paid to the LL directly, and you cannot change that, they will refuse. I have tried.

Many a tenant has tried to use the CC as a reason to delay paying me rent or even a deposit. You need to be sharp,you need to be strict. When a tenant starts deviating from the normal rule of paying deposit and first months rent in advance of getting keys, you should hear alarm bells. It really is that simple.

Good morning all,

After carefully reading and evaluating comments on this forum about the Ras scheme, I am quite surprised that some of you think that tenants who are on this scheme, are uneducated criminals. We cannot define a personality or one's character based on their revenue. We cannot generalise as each person's situation is different, poor pocket does not necessarily mean poor education or principles.

I am not quite familiar with the ras scheme, but I have been researching it's pro's and cons as a tenant. I am open to any advice concerning the ras scheme.

I am also looking for a Landlord that would be willing to sign up with my partner and I, here are the various area's we hope to find a home: (,Bunclody, Bray, Camolin, Gorey, Greystones,).

Our personal Situation, and Experience with private renting.
I am an Irish national, My partner is a French National, having spent ten year's Studying and working in the South of France, I am new to the Irish rental market, we moved back too Ireland on the 31st of January 2014, a pure delight to be home. In March 2014 we found private rental accommodation in Carnew Co.Wicklow, Despite that our current property is physically magnificent and very Spacious, we were strongly misinformed about the property and area.

We have always paid our rent, Which amounts too 715.00€ per month, We had no rent allowance for the first 8 months and we never missed a day's rent. we consider ourselves as very good tenants, we are quite, and like to keep to ourselves. We upkeep the property to a better standard, than it was prior to us moving in. In less than a year we have covered all of our Landlords responsibilitys and expenses, This has amounted to 1500.00€ all receipts are documented.

Our house was advertised on many rental sites as furnished, upon our arrival for a visit the house was empty, and we had realised that they had used old photo's to advertise the property, The house was filthy beyond compare, also the Garden was supposed to be fully fenced and secure, as in photo's, but Fencing had been removed.

We considered all the downsides that were noticed at that time about the property, but we also had to consider the fact that a landlord that accepts rent allowance was rare, as we visited over thirty properties, to find that rent allowance was a no go.

We agreed in signing a lease of 12 months, I would like to state that I have three children, two of which have multiple Disabilities, hence the reason I had to put a stop to my career. And the reason I am in receipt of social Welfare benefits.

We had ask the Landlord to remove all rubbish from the garden, for hygiene purposes before we move in. Nothing was done, we paid 110€00 too green star dump, and another 140€00 too Maguires Skips. For the removal.

We had asked why the lino in the kitchen was bubbled, we were told it was an amateur job, clausible until the lino turned green with fungicides, when removed what laid benieth was an outrage. We asked the landlord to replace the flooring, nothing done. Another 180€00.

During the Summer we were left two months without hot water.

The two bedrooms downstairs cannot be used due to high humidity. That we have treated but has come back over and over again.
The plumbing does not work upstairs.
There is no insulation in the house and the windows are not sealed properly.
There is no valid heating system. We have a back boiler stove which would be marvellous if it heated all the radiators. It consumes 40kilos of coal every 24hours and the house is lukewarm, and if we stop heating the house is Freezing within 20 minutes.

My children have been sick on numerous occasions and as I speak we are all ill with the flu.

The cuboard doors in the Kitchen fell on my 4 year old foot causing her to lose her toe nail, and the pain my little one indured.

We have painted the house top to bottom with the Landlords permission of course, as I am ocd when it comes to stains, with high quality paint.

As a family we have been driven Insane by certain local hooligans, smashing the windows, throwing eggs at the house, destroying my flower beds and garden Furniture, we cannot leave the house unattended as we experienced attempted burglary three time's.

The list goes on, most of the above would not bother me if the Landlord was polite and grateful, We constantly get attitude which is stressful as I prefer to avoid disputes, hence why we are looking for a new home as we cannot enjoy this one.

We have a preference for Gorey and Bray as my partner has applied for the fire service.

Thank you for reading.

Re: Rental accommodation scheme (RAS)

Hi, the answer to your first question is no, the agreement is between you and the council, therefore if the council are offering 1k, that is it. RAS rents are generally 100 euro lower per month (maybe more) than the going rent for the local area. However, if your property is vacant for any period of time between tenancies, RAS still pay you this rent. I have a property with RAS for 2 yrs now, it was vacant for 3 months before they ever sent me my first tenants and I was paid rent every month until it was finally occupied!. The security of payments is well worth it in my book!
The process can take anywhere between 3-8 weeks depending on how busy your local county council is. Call them to find out. Your property will need to be approved and deemed habitable with all necessary smoke alarms, vents etc, this is done by Dept of the Environment prior to you being accepted as a RAS landlord.
Lastly, all council tenants are vetted by the council and have garda clearance before being accepted by the council onto the scheme. Therefore you don't vett them hence you have to accept them, you don't have a choice.
Hope this helps.
I would agree with most of this... And yes you have a contract with cc... However, as soon as the contract is signed, everything else is between you and the tenant.. Cc will not get involved and will tell you it's between you and the tenant... So when it goes above and beyond wear and tear, they will do nothing... NOTHING... So don't expect any back up or any back up with be snide... Drawn out to give the tenant additional time in the house...
Council will pay 90% of the rent in the area... And now this is for two years... Which is ok..
We cannot wait to get out of the RAS... no guarantee it will be any better private... But tenant we have has broken everything in the house and expects us to pay to fix everything... And repair... The fairies must be breaking everything.. Hiw many washing machines and cookers should a landlord have to replace.. According to cc, there is nothing wrong with continually replacing these all the time... I don't think this is fair at all...
We just want a tenant who will look after the house... And take some responsibility for things they break...

Back