Rental accommodation scheme (RAS): How does it work from Landlord & tenant POV?

Re: Rental accommodation scheme (RAS)

Nuff said. My statements are factual, yours are not.

The reasons you stated already are:

I have shown how it is possible to use the RAS scheme to your advantage - and vet your own tenants like I did. I also propose that unlike your theory that the CC have a waiting list of unruly, criminal tenants waiting to jump into any house on the RAS scheme that in reality I could atually proactively organize a replacement tenant myself. If it ever happens to me that a tenant does leave I will surely try this and report back same.

I don't know, where? You seem to know it all...do tell us. They keep them locked in the filing cabinet with my RAS contract dont they?

You are looking at the RAS contract all wrong. THe RAS scheme is a way for you to get a tenant/guaranteed rent provided by the CC. I ask you again are you saying that everyone that uses the services of the CC is some form of sub-human not worthy of respect and a warm safe home?
When you sign a contract with RAS it is similar to an agency getting you a tenant. You have no idea what sort of tenant the agency will get you - they are just looking for their fee really. If the agency got you a tenant that caused criminal damage to your property, could you sue them? Of course not. The rental contract is between you and the tenant, not you and the agency.

Paint me mad and desperate then. I advertised my house and got a half dozen replies. Vetted and chose the best candidate that just happened to be RAS. Four years later shes still there. The CC has agreed to pay the rent for the next two years after which they will review at that point. If my tenant wants to stay (she is looking for 10 years) at that point they may pay me more in rent if I can negotiate same.

Look, just leave them to other LLs. I will never prove to you that its a good deal anyways.

You're statements are just getting silly now and I'm not going to bother to reply. You seem not to understand the risks associated with the contract. good luck to you anyhow.

Does anyone know if the councils are having difficulty obtaining RAS scheme properties?

You're statements are just getting silly now and I'm not going to bother to reply. You seem not to understand the risks associated with the contract. good luck to you anyhow.

Afraid its you that doesnt understand my freind. The risks with RAS are equal to the risks any Landlord faces when he/she puts his property up for rent. There is an equal chance that the tenant on RAS is a fine upstanding individual as any other that walks in off the street.

I figured this fact out a long time ago and happily accept RAS for RA.

no need to be arguing! - link to leaftet on RAS attached - gives the FACTs about the scheme

This is just a general information pamplet taken from a government sponsered website.

Landlords considering using the RAS scheme should examine carefully the contracts proposed by the respective county council and if they don't understand the contract or the possible implications of signing then they should consult with a solicitor for advice.

If anyone wants a copy of the Dublin County Council model contract I can send it on to them.

Gerry m you still havn't answered my question from the other thread. Are you connected with the website Irishlandlord.com?

no, but I am a landlord and historically there has been very little good information and help out there for landlords so anything that helps and is Free to use is in my opinion to be welcomed and shared.

Any chance you could send me copy?

I just read the following:

A series of contract types have been developed for use on the RAS scheme. These form the basis for contract negotiation. These fall broadly into three types.

1) An availability type arrangement to secure medium to long-term availability of accommodation (with us having nomination rights to accommodation).
2) A tenancy-by-tenancy arrangement to meet short-term accommodation requirements (we guarantee rent payment only for term that a specified tenancy is in existence)
3) A long-term PPP/Part V type arrangement between developers and us to secure long-term availability of accommodation.

exactly. In my experience if you aren't closed minded - the CC will work with you to come up with a solution that is agreeable to all 3 parties involved.

Any chance you could send me copy?

I'm trying to figure out how to add attachments to PM's.....It may not be possible.

If you send me your e-mail address, I can send it via normal e-mail.

no, but I am a landlord and historically there has been very little good information and help out there for landlords so anything that helps and is Free to use is in my opinion to be welcomed and shared.

The amount of promonition you have provided for the site, you should really be looking for a fee from the website.

not a bad suggestion, they could hire me as their max clifford!

exactly. In my experience if you aren't closed minded - the CC will work with you to come up with a solution that is agreeable to all 3 parties involved.

I am considering a RAS contract, but I have reservations.

The RAS scheme doesn't provide a Deposit to cover a Landlords security in the event of damage (which is more than routine wear and tear) to your property. Apparently you have to negotiate with your housing authority for reimbursement of your expenses and then they only guarantee the equivalent of up to one months rent towards the cost of repair/replacement.

As the scheme seems to be working so well for you could you advise me how you would approach this issue.

the tenant pays me a security deposit. just like any other tenant.

I am surprised at the level of negativity being circulated around here by some landlords about RAS tenants. I found this forum because i am looking for landlords that can accept RAS. As many people have said that probably those tenants that the Council put in your house are those that have anti-social behaviour, it seems that most people on this forum are making so much money that they are not in touch with the social reality.... RAS would be provided for those who are seeking to acquire some sort of stability in their lives, for example single mothers who want to work and thier income can not cater for their housing needs and budget for the kids.

I am a good tenant and I have never lost any of my deposit to my landlords, even the landlords that tenants have told me they will look for every reason to hold money... My landlord doesn't want me to move but he won't accept RAS because he doesnt understand how it works. He wants me to give him more time, but i urgently need a RAS house.

If you are a landlord that accepts RAS and you are living in dublin 15, and willing to give me a chance please contact me

Hi magero,

welcome to AAM.

I can only speak for myself on this matter, until the CC's put better safeguards in place for landlords things will stay the same.

I read the DLRCC RAS contract and based on that I decided not to pursue SW tenants.

At least if a private tenant wrecks my place I can sue them.

That option is not there for SW tenants as they have no money.

A Tenant With First Hand Experience

The Landlord in this scheme is in a Win WIN WIN situation, full rent from Council in my place it's 750euro a month this upstart of a Landlord is getting paid whether any of the places are occupied or not also there is a clause in there that if the tennant leave and leaves it a bit broken the council pay a bit towards the repairs......Wow what succers and when I was on rent allowance I would be told if I moved into a place of this price per month, that I should not be in a place of this price and would be refused rent allowance, but the council can pay the full whack, and I pay a nominal fee to the council every week.

The Tenant has no safety net in this situation as the Landlord holds all the rights and this guy whom I wasn't given the opportunity to meet to see if I would like to be a tennant of his has given me an eviction notice the lst one I ever got in my life of Private Renting, I got completely stress and even very low in myself as it was completely illegal and also the lease which I received from the Council nearly four months into my tenancy was dated wrong the wrong year and the start date of my tenancy was not even on it. The Landlord was not registered with the PRTB which is one of the legalities to rent through the RAS Scheme, so there is an Illegal Landlord giving out an Illegal Notice.

Before getting this I had lived through hell trying to get the Landlord to sort out an unearthly mad nosey woman beside me who made my life hell since she moved in shouting abuse if you hadn't time to talk to her and peeking out the door every time you came in or went out. She was very fond of my place. Then the guy downstairs could play his drums in the small hours of the morning even heard him mid week had to call down one morning at 5am bit daunting as he is in a basement flat under me outside the house, Landlord did nothing about either. I made a phone call to the Landlord re; a pipe in loo that needed seeing to and said if I was not back to let himself in he was extremely nice and said he should be up that night and have a look at it, I arrived back no pipe looked at but a sinister eviction notice under my door. This was the lst eviction notice I ever got in my life and knew I was set up by certain, or said tennants. going down the PRTB route discovered the eviction notice was illegal and also that he was not registered with the PRTB which is one of the serious legalities of joing the RAS scheme as a Landlord. He then tried to placate me by saying he's do all in his power to work with RAS to get me a better place, he was just looking for the 28 days to be up so I couldn't put a case in with the PRTB. I have suffered hell in this house and as a tennant have been thrown to the wolves by the Council who say these things are between the Landlord and me, I also had complained to them about this woman next door and the guy downstairs and they weren't bothered told me to tell the Landlord. On moving in the Council lure the tennant into a false state of security saying if anything goes wrong we will have to rehouse you on mentioning that there was a complete shutdown. I even now thing that the Landlord might be giving a back hander to some of these guys in the RAS scheme to turn the eye on he not being Registered.

Well to make this long story short and for someone who has an impecable record with renting to have to be dragged down by the likes of a twised up start of a landlord and the council is reall sad. I seriously feel like sueing him for defammation of character and extreme stress.

The Landlord has all to win and the tennant doesn't get a say in anything so here's your first had information.

Hope someone knows understands what I'm saying here.

ps. Also when on Rent Allowance in Private Rented got excellent references, was never behind in rent always full rent on time. Never had trouble with Landlord or tennant.

Thanks for hearing me out

AHEN

Hi magero,

welcome to AAM.

I can only speak for myself on this matter, until the CC's put better safeguards in place for landlords things will stay the same.

I read the DLRCC RAS contract and based on that I decided not to pursue SW tenants.

At least if a private tenant wrecks my place I can sue them.

That option is not there for SW tenants as they have no money.

Back