Removing Sky Satellite Dish

I don't think TV is worth paying for. If I were you I would keep your dish and hook it up to a generic satellite receiver box so you can get all the free TV and radio channels.

You probably won't watch them but it would give you the option of some choice, subscription free. Maybe their satellite broadcasts will all be shut down eventually. They're still freely available for now.
 
I would leave the dish on the roof. There are plenty of satellites around with free to view TV programmes and plenty of different radio stations to listen to.
Satellite TV/radio will go on for at least another 10 years. Both SES and Astra have sent up new satellites to continue the services.
 
With all the threats to underseas cables maybe TV stations might rethink ceasing satellite broadcasting.
 
Both SES and Astra have sent up new satellites to continue the services.
Astra is an SES brand. Which ones are those? I don't follow this too closely but I've only seen the 1P launch in recent times and that does not cover this part of the world. Sky and Freesat are the main ones paying for Astra bandwidth on 2E, 2F & 2G satellites, both are pushing streaming hard.
 
Astra 1 P does cover our part of the world as well. There are just not many TV or radio stations with English channels on it.
Then there is the Hotbird system- which covers all of Europe. Again very few English channels on that one as well. It remains to be seen what happens to Astra 28.2 degrees in the future. The BBC,ITV and other private providers might take that place over and get new birds sent up in time.
 
The BBC,ITV and other private providers might take that place over and get new birds sent up in time.
Perhaps, but they along with Channel 4 and Channel 5 are the owners of Freely and pushing that route now so they can shut down the FreeSat service they also own. They said in the past that FreeSat was only financially viable due to being able to access unused capacity on the existing satellites so I can't see them spending the kind of money required to launch dedicated satellites themselves in 4/5 years. Hard to see those costs justified over the system lifetime.

Ofcom's report in '24, commissioned to guide government policy predicted that those relying on either DTT or satellite for TV would drop from 62% as of 2023 to 28% by 2035. They even flagged that the broadcasters commitment to DTT was waning, broadcasters were already questioning whether their costs to broadcast were justified given the reduced consumption.
 
Apart from YouTube, I don't have any streaming services.
Just wondering about what YouTube is best for? I like history and documentaries. Reason I'm thinking of subscribing to YouTube is that I take in foreign people under R-a-R scheme and some seem to watch YouTube on their laptops. I've just installed a smart tv in the guest room and I'd like to subscribe to YouTube but it's a lot more expensive than Netflix or NowTv. For two TV's to access it the cost is €25.99/mth.
 
Apart from Sports and Movies just about anything you could want is on YouTube. Still I don't and wouldn't pay anything for it.

If you have to pay a subscription fee to watch YouTube on a TV then don't. Just watch it on a laptop, phone or tablet. Your guests are more than happy to do that already I'm sure.

Technically speaking you could connect a laptop to your TV via HDMI then YT playing for free on the laptop will also play on the TV but that's awkward.
 
Apart from Sports and Movies just about anything you could want is on YouTube. Still I don't and wouldn't pay anything for it.
Don't quite agree with this statement, while we in Ireland don't get this service you can still watch sports and movies/TV shows on YT
Of all the streaming services I subscribe to YT is the only one that's a twelve month sub because it also includes YT Music
As regards content on YT, there are movies there but not ones you'd probably want or be interested in watching
As for sports, every sports organisation or event has a YT channel and although not live you can generally find enough to keep you satisfied
And of all the streaming services it's the one that we watch the most so been ad free is a must

@Prosper, if it was me and you interested in a YT subscription, just get one it's more then enough for a household and your guests
AFAIK you can be signed into 3 household devices and stream at the same time, we have TV, computers and phones all signed in with no issues
And while it's a nice idea for guests they probably have their own streaming services that they can log into
 
Meanwhile, back to the point of this thread. This crowd are coming next week to remove the dish. Will report back on how it goes.


Did you use these guys yet? How did you on (service/cost etc)? I’m looking for someone to do the same. Mine is very rusty and hasn’t been used in years.
 
Satellite removal guy came this morning. All done within the hour - dish was on first floor wall, so easy to access.

Very clean work - silicone in the screw holes and everything removed.

€95

Would recommend them.

D.
 
Back
Top