Removing Sky Satellite Dish

Dinarius

Registered User
Messages
679
Can anyone recommend a Dublin-based company that will take down and dispose of a Sky satellite dish?

Thanks.

D.
 
This is a job most DIYers with a head for heights can take on (unless there are complications due to the dish position).

Ensure whoever does it doesn't simply cut the cables back but covers them and tucks them away neatly in case they are needed in the future. That said though, the future of satellite TV is looking limited
 
Don’t know a DIY volunteer and I’m certainly not doing it.

Won’t be keeping the cable. No more satellite for me.

Thanks.

D.
 
It's good to keep the satellite option, I know its an extreme scenario but look what's happened in Iran with the Internet getting turned off. I think its always good to have alternatives to exclusively Internet. During the storm a year ago many people's Internet was knocked out even if they still had electricity in their house because the broadband towers were without power.
 
It's good to keep the satellite option,
I was mainly referring to the chance of Astra replacing the satellites currently covering this part of the world as they reach end of life in the next 4-5 years as demand keeps dropping. FreeSat have been pushing the Freely internet based alternative as well, last I read they have not committed to continue satellite broadcasts beyond 2029.

Regarding internet, Starlink requires a PoE connection, not the coax cable that Sky dishes run. So that's not an option even if the sky dish location was a good one for a LEO antenna that likes a full unobstructed view of the sky.
 
A couple of years ago, we were without internet for a week. We set up a hotspot using my wife’s work phone (unlimited data). We ran two laptops off it. Worked like a charm. No need for a satellite dish.

Meanwhile, back to the point of this thread. This crowd are coming next week to remove the dish. Will report back on how it goes.


D.
 
Satellite not a great backup for storms ss they often move the dish, it’s also being slowly but surely dropped by broadcasters. Will likely be very limited service (if any) by end of the decade.
 
Won’t be keeping the cable. No more satellite for me.
Out of interest, did you previously have a Sky subscription? Are you planning on replacing the Sky TV package with something else? I find I can hardly watch TV anymore, TV shows or the news. I record movies and watch them when it suits me and I skip all ads. Apart from YouTube, I don't have any streaming services.
 
Back
Top